• 3. Not Sure Yet

Votes: 260 33.8%
  • 4. Displeased

Votes: 38 4.9%
  • 5. Very Displeased

Votes: 28 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s bizarre. Obviously we don’t know how it’ll play out yet, but it feels like an unnecessary risk at the moment. I felt like we were coming at this from a position of strength, and we got a result that suggests I might’ve been wrong.

I dunno. I hope I’m wrong and we find out Kim is a dynamo. Right now I’m just too skeptical.
It kind of shows what Danny’s thoughts on the program were. Take of that what you will.

Bash DW all you want. He's won two straight SEC allsports trophies. Football has won won 20 games in that t same span. Men's basketball, baseball, and softball are elite.

Some Kellie-apologist wishes he was gone. Probably one of the top 3 ADs in the country. Just................ crazy.

I trust Danny White.

Maybe that's a cop-out, but he's shown repeatedly he knows what he's doing. Caldwell has a great record, but lacks D-1 experience, but White sees something in her that he didn't see in other candidates, and that's good enough for me.

The real question IMO is going to be whether she can recruit. Harper's biggest issue wasn't coaching, so much as it was recruiting

First of all, it's sell not sale. Secondly we were high school coaches in Indiana and we do have a clue about iconic programs. What makes you think this coach can recruit at a high level?
What makes you think she can't? This is the Downey family? Children Little won't tell....sail on by in the little boat of despair.

It’s bizarre. Obviously we don’t know how it’ll play out yet, but it feels like an unnecessary risk at the moment. I felt like we were coming at this from a position of strength, and we got a result that suggests I might’ve been wrong.

I dunno. I hope I’m wrong and we find out Kim is a dynamo. Right now I’m just too skeptical.

Actually it is a perfectly timed risk
Everybody but the bluest of hairs has called for "off the coaching tree" hires...Now Danny has set that precedent. If she doesn't work out it opens the door very widely for a high-visibility name and gives him a year in which to do so...And if Kim is a success (which I believe she will be),,,then Danny's bold move makes him look like the AD of the century
It kind of shows what Danny’s thoughts on the program were. Take of that what you will.
Does it?

At this point I am a wait and see. Just because she is not an LV and not from a D1 program doesn't mean she will or will not be successful. White had a reason to pick her and I doubt money was the issue.

Bash DW all you want. He's won two straight SEC allsports trophies. Football has won won 20 games in that t same span. Men's basketball, baseball, and softball are elite.

Some Kellie-apologist wishes he was gone. Probably one of the top 3 ADs in the country. Just................ crazy.
If it makes you feel any better, I feel about this hire like I did with Kellie. I guess we’ll see. My first thoughts about Kellie were true and I hope I am wrong this time. I don’t want to get rid of Danny and it would be silly to suggest that over a Lady Vols here. She could be the worst thing to happen to the sport, and it won’t have any affect on his job status as long as football wins.

Well, here we are!
Kellie deserved at least one more season with increased NIL and decreased injuries. I will always wish her much success and appreciate everything she did for UT as a player and coach.

We have a new coach now and I will be 100% behind her. I hope she values and takes care of our current Lady Vol’s as they are a great group of young women. She will definitely need help recruiting at this level so I hope she retains Sam and Joy and I hope the reports of increased NIL are correct.

I know Coach Caldwell will give lip service to honoring Pat and the Lady Vol traditions and legacy. She really needs to understand our history and make sure the LVFLs are still active participants in the program. The support of Tamika, Candace, Draya, Jordan and even Rickea could really help her in the short and long term.

We as LV fans need to welcome our new coach and continue to support our program with dollars and attendance. I know I will do my best to get up to Knoxville for a couple of games this year.

Finally I will eagerly await the day when DW is no longer our AD.
Yeah Danny White has a poor track record right?

Actually it is a perfectly timed risk
Everybody but the bluest of hairs has called for "off the coaching tree" hires...Now Danny has set that precedent. If she doesn't work out it opens the door very widely for a high-visibility name and gives him a year in which to do so...And if Kim is a success (which I believe she will be),,,then Danny's bold move makes him look like the AD of the century

Does it?
Yep. It was worth making a major risk hire. If it doesn’t turn out, oh well

Reactions: krichunaka
There several former LV "personalities" that White could have pursued, and they may have been great players or look good on TV but that doesn't necessarily translate to great coaching. I understand nostalgia and all but there never will be another Pat and I believe White wants the LV program to be "Great Again" or he would not have fired Kelly. Managing a team is now different in the NIL era so he must have seen something in Caldwell that he liked. I don't know if she will succeed but I am ready to give her all of the support I can and hope she will get it done.

If it makes you feel any better, I feel about this hire like I did with Kellie. I guess we’ll see. My first thoughts about Kellie were true and I hope I am wrong this time. I don’t want to get rid of Danny and it would be silly to suggest that over a Lady Vols here. She could be the worst thing to happen to the sport, and it won’t have any affect on his job status as long as football wins.
Kellie had negatives galore on her resume. This coach otoh has championships galore. And my comment was not aimed at you....more towards Lucy, noted DW-hater.

VN Store

Back