Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

When you look at her back ground work this seems like a solid hire.

Now the question can she recruit? The same question was asked about Coach Heupel coming from UCF into the SEC.

It's a lot different walking into high schools wearing UCF or Marshall gear than walking in wearing that Orange with a Power T. That instantly gets recruits to take notice.

Really how could she be worse than Kellie? I really wanted her to succeed but she wouldn't have even been considered if she hadn't played for Pat.
I wasn’t a fan of Kellie either, but we had light at the end of the tunnel with Brooks and Chastain coming. Now we have no hope at all.

Reactions: glv98
You are right in most circumstances. But presume the worst case for a second. Jewel Spear hits the portal, strikeout in portal, no high school recruits, wins less than 10 games next year.

Then yes he's going to come under significant fire.

No guarantees any current player will stay with a coaching change. New coach may not even want some of the current players to stay. She may be bringing some of her own current players and hitting the portal for more. No one knows the plan yet. Assuming its all catastrophic already is crazy.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
No guarantees any current player will stay with a coaching change. New coach may not even want some of the current players to stay. She may be bringing some of her own current players and hitting the portal for more. No one knows the plan yet. Assuming its all catastrophic already is crazy.
her marshall players are not on the level of our players. cleaning house to bring in hers would just be silly.

Apparently White was prepared to take that chance, because I agree. Unless our roster looks completely different, a lot faster and a lot deeper by November we are likely in for a long season next year.

I don’t see all of the players staying but I do see a few of them. Some of them with poor foot speed are probably going to need to find a new home if she’s planning to press like she normally does.
How I am gonna judge year one what she does with the roster. Right now it needs post players and at least one efficient elite scorer. That would give a good team. Cooper and Spear are a start for sure. Just need to get that post scoring and one more big time threat to score. Her teams box out really well and she runs a full court press that resulted in a lot of turnovers for opponents. Looks to me they play the man to man match up zone. She likes three point shooters on offense Marshall shot 1050 threes only made 32 percent.

Outside of Spear, I’m sure her players are like the rest of our roster anyway.

I mean what's the minimum she needs to meet in her first year ?
I would say probably at least 20 wins and a top five finish in the SEC. I don't think they will get to hard on her until the team is her players. For her that is going to come fast. Kellie not leaving anybody after this season only 3 roster players Cooper, Boyd, and Ace if they are still here.

When you look at her back ground work this seems like a solid hire.

Now the question can she recruit? The same question was asked about Coach Heupel coming from UCF into the SEC.

It's a lot different walking into high schools wearing UCF or Marshall gear than walking in wearing that Orange with a Power T. That instantly gets recruits to take notice.
What this person said right here.

Reactions: FirstAndGoal
He obviously did not want to pay to get the best person for this job. There is also the chance that firing Harper who has a decent level of success was an issue with some of the top notch coaches.

Wishing her success but expecting some really difficult years coming up which may include seeing the program sink to unthinkable lows.

This is really a very interesting hire. White really is going to either look like the best AD ever or a total idiot based on how this goes.
🤣😂
No he want as long as Coach Heupel keeps things headed in the right direction Danny is golden!

Last edited:

It was a what if proposition. She has time to work and blow that possibility to hell and great for her if that happens

But unfortunately because of who we are and who she is this is probably gonna go really well or really bad and youll know the direction pretty quickly based on who comes and goes in the portal.

VN Store

Back