Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

We Lady Vol fans are going to have to someday come to the realization that we aren’t gonna see another Pat Summit. Like Bama isn’t gonna see another Saban or UCONN with Geno. Coaches like that just don’t come around. I think at B least some standards and expectations need to be lowered or at the very least adjusted.

For me personally, it's not about seeing another Pat Summit. I understand fully how that was a once in history type of run. I also understand how the game has changed and how parity and now NIL have altered the landscape of the sport. I just believe with all my heart that the Lady Vol brand still means more than 99% of the brands that are current in women's basketball. It deserves better than a "could be good" hire. My faith in Danny White is that he too understands this, and I remain rooted in my belief that he doesn't fire Kellie with the intent of hiring an up and comer with potential.

Never heard that saying before actually, but if a "hit dog is hollering" is just me like, ya know, reading the forum and recognizing you're obviously bringing up topics I was just talking about then dang you got me. Excellent work.

You're welcome.

I play ping pong with one of Danny White's food taster's, and they told me that Danny's secret plan is to make the women's basketball program really bad so he can shut it down and reallocate the funds to the football program.

“If DW hires X I’ll be so ticked, it’d be an epic fail, it’d be worse than Schiano, etc.”

What is wrong with you guys? DW’s track record of hiring coaches is INSANE, and you’re acting like you’re more of a SME than he is? Interviews happen for a reason, it isn’t purely off of resume. DW has earned the right for us to trust him based off of INTERVIEWS (that we don’t attend) and HIS formula more than just resumes.

Chill out. Embarrassing.
Short, not politically correct, answer.....people are idiots.

Reactions: VolNExile
your comment i replied to was about stevens, the coach at marshall. the poster you replied to mentioned stevens.

It doesn’t matter if it’s her or someone from a high school for all I care . If we knocked on the big time Dawn door and we couldn’t convince her, then DW needs to hire who he sees fits. I thought CJH was a very underwhelming hire and I was eating my words within the first year.

Last edited:
Just follow it from Twitter. 85-90% of the analysis of this coach becoming the head coach at Tennessee is positive. The perception of the Lady Vols fans on here and social media are the outlier.
This coaching search has been ran to near perfection.

That's fair, but I meant it in the context of that she has an extremely high ceiling. It's a risk with great reward. That is innately exciting.

Terrifying (i.e. risk) but exciting. There's lots of upside.

For the record: I don't think that's who should be hired for this job. I also don't think it's who DW had in mind initially.

At any other point in TN wbb history, I would agree with you. I would have taken that risk with someone like her when we replaced Pat. I would have taken that risk when we hired Kellie. I would take that risk 5 years from now after firing a Kara Lawson type hire, but I would not take that risk now. This is a unique period in our program's history that calls for DW to rise to the level required to meet this moment. We are 15 years removed from a final 4. The sport is growing while our attendance is down 4,000+ per game from where it was under Warlick. Our fanbase is literally dying off and we're not replacing them because we're no longer an elite program. This is perhaps the biggest decision in this programs history.

Just follow it from Twitter. 85-90% of the analysis of this coach becoming the head coach at Tennessee is positive. The perception of the Lady Vols fans on here and social media are the outlier.
I'll ask again, are you saying that this IS the hire?

That's fair, but I meant it in the context of that she has an extremely high ceiling. It's a risk with great reward. That is innately exciting.

Terrifying (i.e. risk) but exciting. There's lots of upside.

For the record: I don't think that's who should be hired for this job. I also don't think it's who DW had in mind initially.
DW knows basketball. He played in college, his brother is a coach and his father AD at Duke. DW has hired terrific basketball coaches in the past. I trust DW.

All I know is DW needs to let us all know who the next Lady Vols coach is and soon. He has the baseball team so distracted they're losing to Auburn. Pretty sure I saw Burke in the dugout, on his phone, refreshing VN for the latest rumors. We can't go on like this!
👍🏻 Even yetis make sense

You have lost any credibility you had. You don't get to say what you've said all week and now try to feed us this.

I will eat a cat turd out of my litter box live on facebook for you all to watch if TN hires Marshall's coach. Danny White does not fire a former Lady Vol who went to two sweet 16's to hire a coach who's been in D1 for one year. NOT. HAPPENING. It's counter intuitive to everything we know to be true in how he sees the program.
Need the film here, and must show turd being dropped, or it’s chocolate.

For me personally, it's not about seeing another Pat Summit. I understand fully how that was a once in history type of run. I also understand how the game has changed and how parity and now NIL have altered the landscape of the sport. I just believe with all my heart that the Lady Vol brand still means more than 99% of the brands that are current in women's basketball. It deserves better than a "could be good" hire. My faith in Danny White is that he too understands this, and I remain rooted in my belief that he doesn't fire Kellie with the intent of hiring an up and comer with potential.
All of this.

Also, how does hiring a coach like Stephens help with recruiting? I literally had to google her name when it first came up here.

Do you really believe he thinks that? Like seriously, do you believe that. I can respect your opinion if you honestly think it's true.
You’re arguing with people from the Recruiting forum who are laughing at y’all over there. You might as well disengage at this point.

Reactions: Volstylexx
Can someone tell me where Pat Head coached and what her record was when she was hired at Tennessee?

VN Store

Back