Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I think Rick is analogous to Kellie in that he's reached his ceiling as far as the Big Dance is concerned.
He's not personally responsible for the missed shots, failure to make free throws, low 3-point percentage, excessive fouling, referee malfeasance, et. al. that have plagued his UT teams over the years. But he is the common denominator in all the Vol teams that have failed to make it past the E8 on his watch. Hopefully, he'll begin to read the writing on the wall, unlike Kellie, and decide to retire before the administration makes the decision for him.

Reactions: Pennheel
I think Rick is analogous to Kellie in that he's reached his ceiling as far as the Big Dance is concerned.
He's not personally responsible for the missed shots, failure to make free throws, low 3-point percentage, excessive fouling, referee malfeasance, et. al. that have plagued his UT teams over the years. But he is the common denominator in all the Vol teams that have failed to make it past the E8 on his watch. Hopefully, he'll begin to read the writing on the wall, unlike Kellie, and decide to retire before the administration makes the decision for him.

April Fool’s Day was Monday.

This is a joke right? He won the regular season title and made the elite 8. If he can do that as a coach he's capable of winning the championship. He's given the team the tools but they have to take it home. He can't play for them out there. I don't understand what people think another coach can do better.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You definitely posted this in the right thread considering the new title

Thanks for the laugh. I assume that was the intended purpose of this post…to make us all laugh.

April Fool’s Day was Monday.
When I look at the culture and how much this team loved playing together along with the kind of man Barnes is, there's no doubt in my mind that we'll be taking a huge step back when he leaves. I think he's the best men's basketball coach UT's ever had. Loved Mears, but Barnes is a special man. We'll miss him.

You have a very wry sense of humor, I hope.

When I look at the culture and how much this team loved playing together along with the kind of man Barnes is, there's no doubt in my mind that we'll be taking a huge step back when he leaves. I think he's the best men's basketball coach UT's ever had. Loved Mears, but Barnes is a special man. We'll miss him.
Yes, no doubt Barnes is the best.

Most of TN’s NCAAT appearances would not have happened if the other 5 TN coaches that have been to the NCAAT were also coaching in eras when only one SEC team was invited.

Mears had 15 winning seasons in 15 years after taking over a 4-19 program.

Mears has 3 SEC regular season championships. More than ANY OTHER UT coach.

Mears took down KY and Baron Rupp as the SECs only relevant program.
And Mears coached in a weaker SEC.

I get what you're saying hence the like. However, there's a difference between him and Kellie. Kellie had tradition of a winning program and 8 national championship being the key reason she was let go. She couldn't bring the Lady Vols back to where fans expected them to be.

The men's team has never has much of a tradition and has never made the Final Four. Barnes has brought them closer to achieving that almost every year he's been at Tennessee. He'll likely retire when he wants in a few years and leave the team in much better shape

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I get what you're saying hence the like. However, there's a difference between him and Kellie. Kellie had tradition of a winning program and 8 national championship being the key reason she was let go. She couldn't bring the Lady Vols back to where fans expected them to be.

The men's team has never has much of a tradition and has never made the Final Four. Barnes has brought them closer to achieving that almost every year he's been at Tennessee. He'll likely retire when he wants in a few years and leave the team in much better shape
Kellie also never won the SEC Title or the SEC Tournament Title and never got to the Elite Eight.

I don’t know why these posts keep polluting the board. If not ignorance, it’s trolling.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
I don’t know why these posts keep polluting the board. If not ignorance, it’s trolling.

Are you talking about what you highlighted in regards to me? I actually agree with you.

Also,I am not trolling if that's the case. I know all too well of Tennessees basketball past.They've had good coaches and players. I'm talking tournament success on a regular basis until now.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back