Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Barnes didn’t miss any free throws. Barnes didn’t miss any open looks. Not sure if Barnes has alligator arms, but saw a few others today that did.

Seems strange. He's a better coach than all those for the teams you've listed. Much better. He's got that "best player to have never won a major" moniker.

He's accomplished more career wise, but right now, today, you think he's better than Oats?

I love RB, but Oats is pretty dang good

No question which head of the curve you are.
Excellent question…

I am in Texas frequently and have worked with a ton of Texas alumni for the last 23 years. They told me what we were in store for 9 years ago, and they were not wrong. Do they wish they had not fired Barnes? Probably but they’ll admit it. Do I want Barnes fired, hell no!

But why the hell is everyone surprised when he does the same damn thing consistently for 20+ years?

Am I disappointed? Yes, same as every other Vol fan
Am I surprised? No. History, Statistics, and first hand accounts say “no.”

What else does Barnes need?

On a side note, I see/like most of your VN posts. I can share in today’s disappointment, but cannot share in the surprise

Just a lazy take. We didn't shoot a lot of FTs because we couldn't attack the rim due to the 7'4 giant rim protector.
Shouldnt you be on the Purdue page? Our guys got to the point they were afraid to cover him because if they looked at him they had a foul called on him.

Great season overall and nothing I can really fault Barnes for today. Our star carried us but 2-3 complimentary guys didn’t come through which was my greatest concern all along, particularly Aidoo versus quality post players.

Just a lazy take. We didn't shoot a lot of FTs because we couldn't attack the rim due to the 7'4 giant rim protector.
That's partly true. There was also heavy contact no-calls. Also, 2 different occasions showed Edey pushing off to get a rebound. Clear fouls. It didn't cost us the game, but it was deterrent to winning for sure. We missed too many open looks in the 2nd half. Barnes had a great game plan

Reactions: CaliVol2009
The reality is, when the game is close and you don't control the things you CAN control (as in, make simple shots, make FT, don't turn the ball over), then you give the opportunity to the refs to take the game from you. Yes, the refs obviously protected and favored Edey. Fine. But we also missed a ton of shots, free throws, and opportunities where we should have capitalized and didn't. The refs can impact the game, but if you're making shots, you're making shots. Aside from DK, nobody stepped up today. We were gassed from an emotionally exhausting game against Creighton, the short turnaround got us. Purdue was +50 in the second half in this tourney, and we were right there with them. I am dang proud of our team. Room for improvement, but they were right there, and they played an incredible game.

We just played in the elite 8 and you all are arguing with a troll who called Barnes a sweet 16 coach during the game. He's just here for reaction
If you call a UT graduate a “troll” because in-game they acknowledged an indisputable 20+ year trend which played out to be true, what do you call those who obviously don’t recognize the trend?

Until we get consistently eliminated in the Elite 8, Rick Barnes is a Sweet 16 coach

If you call a UT graduate a “troll” because in-game they acknowledged an indisputable 20+ year trend which played out to be true, what do you call those who obviously don’t recognize the trend?

Until we get consistently eliminated in the Elite 8, Rick Barnes is a Sweet 16 coach
Love the context here could you include the history of Tenn basketball for perspective? We have a lot of success to look back on no?

Reactions: spacificislander
Love the context here could you include the history of Tenn basketball for perspective? We have a lot of success to look back on no?
Tennessee basketball has had very limited success, and if you had bothered to read the full conversation you would’ve seen the comment was about Rick Barnes. In the spirit of full context, Rick Barnes has a history of not making it past the second round of the NCAA Tournament throughout his college coaching career.

Barnes should not be fired, but it is very foolish to expect anything more from him than what we have seen at Tennessee over the last 9 years or the previous 17 years at Texas.

Wouldn’t you agree?

Reactions: volpass
Tennessee basketball has had very limited success, and if you had bothered to read the full conversation you would’ve seen the comment was about Rick Barnes. In the spirit of full context, Rick Barnes has a history of not making it past the second round of the NCAA Tournament throughout his college coaching career.

Barnes should not be fired, but it is very foolish to expect anything more from him than what we have seen at Tennessee over the last 9 years or the previous 17 years at Texas.

Wouldn’t you agree?
I think there is dead horse somewhere around here can’t seem to find it oh never mind I see it now

VN Store

Back