Recruiting Football Talk VII

Jeez....how do teams stack so many great players?. I wish we could stack a bunch of great offensive players and still get RBs ferocious team defense...THAT team would be a absolute juggernaut.
Dana Altman is an excellent coach. His staff doesn't change much and his teams seem to start the season slow and finish strong. He seems to lose some early games then as the season goes on the defense starts getting better and better, then about Jan or Feb they start really believing in themselves and just take very good teams down. He's been at Oregon for about 14 year and he was at Creighton for 16 years before that.

Yep, Creighton vs Oregon should be interesting.

Jeez....how do teams stack so many great players?. I wish we could stack a bunch of great offensive players and still get RBs ferocious team defense...THAT team would be an absolute juggernaut.
Barnes prefers to recruit defensive minded athletes and teach them offense….. I wish he would do the opposite.

Most talented roster in at least the last 10 years –

I didn’t include Dayne Davis because he doesn’t have a high school rating from the 247 composite but I did include Miles Kitselman because while he didn’t have a high school rating he did have a transfer rating. Other than Miles I used only the high school ratings because that’s what 247 uses when they calculate rosters in the fall. I think our guys with 247 are responsible for scrubbing the rosters every year as are the 247 staffs for all other teams so I don’t know how well they do their jobs, meaning I assume it only includes guys who are on scholarship but we could have some walkons rated, i.e. , Navy Shuler, etc. Walkons should not be included. jmo.

screenhunter-1188-png.628926

Over the last few years Alabama’s roster average has been north of 94.00 but a few weeks ago I went through their roster and at the time for this year they were down to around 91.60. I think they have since added a couple or three guys that may bump it up a bit but I’m not sure it will be above 92.00 this year. They lost a lot of talent between the NFL and the transfer portal.

Over the course of the off-season, Alabama lost 47 total players. 4 players graduated, 12 players declared for the NFL Draft, while the other 31 players entered the transfer portal.

Why is all of this interesting, if, in fact, it is interesting? Well, the elite teams in the country often rank very low in returning production but they still in those years often compete for championships. The reason is because they have good coaching and good talent. If you’re low on talent you need to be high on experience. We’re creeping into that category with the elite teams. Hyatt left after 3 years. Jaylen Wright left after 3 years. It is widely expected that Pearce and Iamaleava will leave for the NFL after 3 years. Lance Heard may be another 3-year college guy. There could be others on our roster this year that end up being 3-year guys, maybe Jordan Ross, etc. The point is we’re moving toward winning with talent as much or more than trying to win with experience. jmo.

It has been pointed out that we are low on returning production this year and to some analysts that will be a sort of red flag. There are some things to keep in mind however. First it’s generally agreed outside the program that we now have good coaching. Second, we have increasing roster talent, and third, most every other P5 team on our schedule this year is in the same boat as far as returning production. Other than Georgia and Florida no one else has much of an experience advantage over us this year and by the time we play Georgia we’ll have 9 games of added experience. Oklahoma has a lot of experience on their defense but nothing on their offense. Florida has the most returning experience on our schedule and if Napier can’t improve this year I think the probability is high he gets a monster paycheck at or near the end of this season. jmo.

ScreenHunter 1190.png

So Heupel can recruit? 👀

ScreenHunter 1189.png
giphy.gif

Last edited:

good grief…. what a ridiculous rule

new baseball rule. Instead of a diamond, its played on a 100 yrd grass field. The pitcher, wearing a helmet throws an oblong shaped 'baseball' to a batter. Instead of anything else, the batter catches the ball and runs to '1st base', at the end of the field. The other team will be out in the field trying to stop them.

I need some Tejas hate.

I went to Buc-ee’s today and should have upper decked that establishment’s amazing lavatory.
Tejas? You know the owner's son was indicted for spying on people in their bathrooms?

Cant stand that place. Dont even have baked lays, who does that? Make you walk through retail hell, rear of bldg. Aisles of chips, no baked lays. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

VN Store

Back