Recruiting Football Talk VII

February 24, 1942
"The Battle of Los Angeles"

The attack started at 7:18 p.m. on February 24, 1942, when a “yellow” alert was sounded after the radar detectors picked up unidentified objects flying less than 100 miles from Los Angeles.

By 10.33 p.m., the threat became real, and an all-city blackout order was given over Los Angeles. The battle was on.

By 2:30 a.m., sirens started blasting across the city as the bewildered Los Angeles citizens awoke to utter blackness, large searchlights scanning the sky, and the thunderous roar of anti-aircraft guns exploding across the night sky.

At 3:00 a.m., the unidentified object or objects were reported to be just off the coast of Santa Monica. Anti-aircraft units were given permission to fire on sight. At 3:07 a.m., anti-aircraft units in Santa Monica, reporting the sighting of enemy aircraft, began firing into the sky. Shortly thereafter, anti-aircraft units across the Los Angeles area joined in firing into sky. In addition to sweeping searchlights, orange tracer shells began streaming into the night sky across the city.

Fear and panic quickly spread throughout the city. As smoke from exploding shells began collecting in the sky, civilians and army gunners both reported sightings of enemy aircraft, falling bombs and Japanese paratroopers. A report came in claiming that a Japanese aircraft had crashed in Hollywood. Frightened drivers, speeding through darkened streets, collided with one another, resulting in three traffic fatalities. As many as three other persons were reported to have died from fatal heart attacks.

By daylight, however, no Japanese ships lay off the coast, no downed enemy aircraft were found and no enemy bomb damage was reported. Confused and embarrassed authorities, with no explanation for the morning’s events, focused instead on arresting 20 Japanese-Americans for allegedly trying to signal the mysterious enemy aircraft.

Within days, the U.S. Secretary of the Navy, Frank Knox, admitted that the whole incident to have been a mistake. The U.S. Secretary of War, Henry Stimson, however, stated that 15 enemy aircraft had appeared over Los Angeles. Stimson later retreated from that position.

So, what did military gunners actually shoot at? Explanations for what had spooked gunners ranged from a false alarm to meteorological balloons to UFOs. An official investigation, however, could not clearly determine the exact cause. The incident turned out to be the only serious military action to occur over a continental U.S. metropolitan area during World War II.

Many years later, in 1983, the Office of Air Force History, after conducting their own study of the 1942 events,* concluded that U.S. military defenses in California were already nervously poised for action, partly due to the attack from the Japanese submarine off the coast of Santa Barbara. The office also noted that meteorological balloons had been released prior to the incident that, with attached lights and their silvery color, may have been mistaken for aircraft.

View attachment 622449
So the ncaa was running the West Coast defense in WWII?
Makes sense now. 😈

had a buddy who always acted and claimed to be a don juan (wasnt me, clearly). He'd always say he did this or that with whatever girl, who cares?

I always joked he was the last guy at the bar, and girls felt sorry for him. taking home the last girl at the bar is like dropping your toast on the floor for 5 count. we've all picked it up, dusted off the hair, and dove in. then not told anybody about it.
download.gif

lmao

You can hate the NCAA and believe they are obsolete while still recognizing they aren't defunct yet. They still have the power to level punishment on actual rule breakers. They attempted to overreach and apply rules retroactively that would break anti-trust laws. That's why we won. That doesn't mean they suddenly have absolutely no power whatsoever.
They have NO investigative power…. Tighten up your program and fight them…. They will back down bc they can’t get anywhere without someone’s help.

Caitlin Clark's accomplishment was great, she will be marketed as the face of WNBA .

Most of us could challenge Caitlin to a game of HORSE and she would spot everyone The H-O-R-S and still win.
She is that damn good at playing or shooting basketball.
She definitely means a lot to the women’s game…. A few years back…. I bought 5 dollar lower level tickets to watch a top 10 Lady Vols match up versus NC when Deshields was here…. Caitlyn came to Charlotte to play and I wanted to take my daughter… Tickets were between 120 and 150 dollars.

Caitlin Clark's accomplishment was great, she will be marketed as the face of WNBA .

Most of us could challenge Caitlin to a game of HORSE and she would spot everyone The H-O-R-S and still win.
She is that damn good at playing or shooting basketball.
Would there be a no dunking rule?

Reactions: knoxvol52
Funny you should mention Pearl and Kiffin the the same point. Both are clowns and charlatans and I couldn't stand either one of them even when everyone was super high on them when they were here. Neither one of them were a fit at Tennessee.
Now they are at schools that are perfect for them. Auburn and Ole Miss are and always have been shady schools that love gimmicky stuff. Both schools need to be like that to stay relevant and compete once and awhile. We don't need that at Tennessee. It doesn't surprise me that Freeze end up at Auburn.

Pat loved Bruce are we going to question her next?👀😭😂

Why incredulous but why GIF on GIFER - by Fenrijin

Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee​

5-foot-10, 210 pounds

There's no doubt the 2024 running back class is a little underwhelming as a whole. There's no clear No. 1 guy like Bijan Robinson was last year. I'm not sure we'll see any back picked in the first two rounds. I came into the combine with an open mind about the top of my rankings, which looked like this headed into the event:
  1. Jonathon Brooks, Texas
  2. Trey Benson, Florida State
  3. Audric Estime, Notre Dame
So with Brooks still recovering from the torn ACL he suffered in November, there was a chance for the guys underneath him to rise to the occasion and that included Wright, who was my fourth-ranked back. All Wright did was run a lightning-quick 4.38 40-yard dash, which ranked second at his position, and put up an 11-foot-2 broad jump, which was best among the running backs. Plus, his 38-inch vertical leap was in the top five. Those are stellar numbers, particularly with Estime running a disappointing 4.71 40.

Wright, who rushed for 1,013 yards on just 137 carries last season, is now firmly in the mix to be the top back off the board in April's draft. I have a third-round grade on him.

I still think it's funny how EVERYONE associated in any way to bama was thinking they were gonna scorch us... It's like they expected it...They (including Bias Bilas) were shocked we stepped up and whipped their butts... is it arrogance spilling over from football? Don't get it... We are the #4 team in the country and they thought we were just gonna come in and roll over?

VN Store

Back