Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Soccer recruits top 25 classes, but NIL for soccer (aside from maybe UNC, FSU, and UCLA) is zilch. So it’s easier. Angel Reese is literally bragging about her NIL, which I think increases expectations (reasonable or not) from high schoolers in particular.
Right. I just had a fam member recruited to a major D1 for soccer and there's not even a full scholly, let alone up front payment. They get guidance in pursuing true NIL opportunites.

So you can't discount NIL as a basketball recruiting problem by saying the others are recruiting successfully. They are playing on vastly different playing fields.

But as always, it won't stop the truth haters from saying it.

Right. I just had a fam member recruited to a major D1 for soccer and there's not even a full scholly, let alone up front payment. They get guidance in pursuing true NIL opportunites.

So you can't discount NIL as a basketball recruiting problem by saying the others are recruiting successfully. They are playing on vastly different playing fields.

But as always, it won't stop the truth haters from saying it.
Winning stops “truth haters” or non-kool
aide drinkers

I'm not sure that she is and so many of them have transferred. She has a couple of players that are supposed to be really good and neither is doing that much. She hasn't been able to get a post player that is really elite. She keeps getting two or three top 50 freshmen and two or three leave through the portal for a minus 0 gain. Plus with Boyd and Cooper coming in and top recruit Brooks in 2025 were really on the right track with elite players. Just need several more.

Have you seen the recruiting class coming in? Toby Fournier, Arianna Roberson and from what I've read, still in play for Sarah Strong. Plus the recruits she brought in last year. Had the ACC regular season won last year until the final day. Kara just needs to start proving herself in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Have you seen the recruiting class coming in? Toby Fournier, Arianna Roberson and from what I've read, still in play for Sarah Strong. Plus the recruits she brought in last year. Had the ACC regular season won last year until the final day. Kara just needs to start proving herself in the NCAA tournament.
She is not getting Sarah Strong. The other two are good players don't think either one is better than Brooks. She has recruited top ranked players in the last couple seasons none of them are playing very well. People seems to forget they are in 7th place and have the same record in conference as Tennessee. Plus why we talking about her she is not even a candidate here.

Gottlieb would be a good hire. She has moved around quite a bit, at least prior to taking over at Cal, and this is only, what, her 2nd or 3rd year at USC, so she may want to settle in for a time. Don't know what she's making, though I did read that USC committed to a "massive upgrade" in spending on its BB program, including coach, when signing her. But LA cost of living is much higher than Ktown, that's for sure. On the other hand, switching from 10 + years in California to Tennessee would be be a neck-wrenching cultural change. We'd have to go big to get her or any established coach, including the guy at OSU or anyone else. In other words, we'd have to get serious--for the first time--about finding and hiring an excellent coach.

Reactions: glv98
Gottlieb would be a good hire. She has moved around quite a bit, at least prior to taking over at Cal, and this is only, what, her 2nd or 3rd year at USC, so she may want to settle in for a time. Don't know what she's making, though I did read that USC committed to a "massive upgrade" in spending on its BB program, including coach, when signing her. But LA cost of living is much higher than Ktown, that's for sure. On the other hand, switching from 10 + years in California to Tennessee would be be a neck-wrenching cultural change. We'd have to go big to get her or any established coach, including the guy at OSU or anyone else. In other words, we'd have to get serious--for the first time--about finding and hiring an excellent coach.
Totally agree. Go big or stay home. KJH will be here next year, but without another miracle in the portal next yr is going to be rough. Probably groundwork for a big hire would start then. I'm ok to wait to get it right. Meantime, I would love KJH to get some decent NIL $ to go ahead and start rebuilding the roster.

Winning stops “truth haters” or non-kool
aide drinkers

I could be wrong on this as I have been wrong many times in my life. I’ll gladly admit if I am wrong and am certainly no insider, but the NIL talking point is hard for me to buy simply because it’s hard to envision most programs, even most of the really successful ones, throwing money at high schoolers who play a non revenue sport. There are obviously exceptions such as Angel Reese and Caitlin Clark, but 99.9% of women’s basketball players are nowhere near as marketable as those two are and won’t sniff their NIL value no matter where they go to school.

Again, maybe I’m wrong. Obviously LSU is very committed to women’s hoops from an NIL standpoint, but I would think they’re an outlier. Regardless, CKH’s recruiting was nowhere near a championship level even before NIL came into play, so NIL may be a contributing factor, but it isn’t the lone reason for the poor high school recruiting.

She is not getting Sarah Strong. The other two are good players don't think either one is better than Brooks. She has recruited top ranked players in the last couple seasons none of them are playing very well. People seems to forget they are in 7th place and have the same record in conference as Tennessee. Plus why we talking about her she is not even a candidate here.
No one is forgetting Duke's conference standings compared to UT's. Some of us don't view that as a relevant comparison because the conferences are have completely different teams. The NCAA selection committee places very little value on where you finish in your conference when seeding teams for the tournament, but I hear that you think it is important. They prefer to look at quality wins. Duke has 12 Quad1&2 wins vs UT's 8 Quad 1&2 wins.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Totally agree. Go big or stay home. KJH will be here next year, but without another miracle in the portal next yr is going to be rough. Probably groundwork for a big hire would start then. I'm ok to wait to get it right. Meantime, I would love KJH to get some decent NIL $ to go ahead and start rebuilding the roster.

Just posted that I’ll gladly admit if I’m wrong , but excluding the Angel Reese’s and Caitlin Clark’s of the world whose market value is extremely high, how far behind are we from other programs from an NIL standpoint? I know LSU is throwing out tons of money, but are all of our competitors throwing out far more money than us? Just hard for me to envision as someone who isn’t an insider that all of our competitors are blowing us out of the water when it comes to NIL money. Most women’s basketball recruits lack the marketability to promise great sums of NIL money. Most average fans of women’s basketball fans couldn’t tell you the top ten recruits in a particular recruiting class. Some would struggle to tell you one unless she’s a generational talent.

No one is forgetting Duke's conference standings compared to UT's. Some of us don't view that as a relevant comparison because the conferences are have completely different teams. The NCAA selection committee places very little value on where you finish in your conference when seeding teams for the tournament, but I hear that you think it is important. They prefer to look at quality wins. Duke has 12 Quad1&2 wins vs UT's 8 Quad 1&2 wins.

Regardless, Kara Lawson is unlikely to ever coach here. New blood outside of the Lady Vol true is needed.

Just posted that I’ll gladly admit if I’m wrong , but excluding the Angel Reese’s and Caitlin Clark’s of the world whose market value is extremely high, how far behind are we from other programs from an NIL standpoint? I know LSU is throwing out tons of money, but are all of our competitors throwing out far more money than us? Just hard for me to envision as someone who isn’t an insider that all of our competitors are blowing us out of the water when it comes to NIL money. Most women’s basketball recruits lack the market value to promise great sums of NIL money.
HS ladies are getting signing bonuses and we aren't willing to anti-up on HS kids.

Just posted that I’ll gladly admit if I’m wrong , but excluding the Angel Reese’s and Caitlin Clark’s of the world whose market value is extremely high, how far behind are we from other programs from an NIL standpoint? I know LSU is throwing out tons of money, but are all of our competitors throwing out far more money than us? Just hard for me to envision as someone who isn’t an insider that all of our competitors are blowing us out of the water when it comes to NIL money. Most women’s basketball recruits lack the market value to promise great sums of NIL money.
By no means are all our competitor's slinging big NIL salaries at recruits. But the best ones do, the same ones we lose all the elite recruits to.

Reactions: brittannica
You know for sure Kellie will be back

I could be wrong on this as I have been wrong many times in my life. I’ll gladly admit if I am wrong and am certainly no insider, but the NIL talking point is hard for me to buy simply because it’s hard to envision most programs, even most of the really successful ones, throwing money at high schoolers who play a non revenue sport. There are obviously exceptions such as Angel Reese and Caitlin Clark, but 99.9% of women’s basketball players are nowhere near as marketable as those two are and won’t sniff their NIL value no matter where they go to school.

Again, maybe I’m wrong. Obviously LSU is very committed to women’s hoops from an NIL standpoint, but I would think they’re an outlier. Regardless, CKH’s recruiting was nowhere near a championship level even before NIL came into play, so NIL may be a contributing factor, but it isn’t the lone reason for the poor high school recruiting.
I personally believe you are spot on.

From my perch, I believe Lawson is building quickly. Say what you will, but look at her recruiting….she is 2 years away at most from competing for the ACC championship imo. It’s early in her career and she is still on track, excellent recruiter.

VN Store

Back