Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240227-074549~2.png
    Screenshot_20240227-074549~2.png
    325.2 KB · Views: 2
Agree, and it won't matter if we have Dawn Staley or the local Starbucks barrista if we don't get some NIL money up in here. Shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic won't get it done.

What does our NIL situation look like compared to schools not named LSU? I’m not in the know on that, but from a marketing perspective, I can’t envision that very many collectives are slinging great sums of money to athletes who participate in a sport that doesn’t make money. The AR’s and CC’s of the works are obvious exceptions.

Maybe I’m wrong.

Is this right? So we essentially had one Asst. AD who basically did the search? No search firm involved? Didn't seem like one was involved at the time. Cronan is a long-since retired women's AD, and I"m quite sure she didn't have her hand on the pulse of women's basketball and WBB coaches when the search was conducted. My bet is that she did little other than hekp interview a couple of candidates. Fulmer, of course, didn't know a damn thing about women's BB. It was obvious at the time that it was a lame "search"--there very clearly wasn't much searching--and the focus quickly centered on two former players--one of whom had never coached collegiately at all and the other with no more than a fair record as a head. What could go wrong with that kind of laziness....

What you stated about Fulmer is what I have aways heard about the hiring process. He was totally involved in trying to fix the FB train wreck and didn't have time for a women's BB coach and as you stated, didn't really know much about it. He was FB only. Didn't need to be the AD but forced himself into the job.

Reactions: Deebowbear
What does our NIL situation look like compared to schools not named LSU? I’m not in the know on that, but from a marketing perspective, I can’t envision that very many collectives are slinging great sums of money to athletes who participate in a sport that doesn’t make money. The AR’s and CC’s of the works are obvious exceptions.

Maybe I’m wrong.
BHC is for all womens sports collective so don't know if this turns some donors off that they are handing out the money to all female sports. It makes it tough to sign basketball players these days and NIL amounts others schools collectives are paying to just basketball and football only. Would be nice if Spyre was involved with womens basketball instead of just mens football and basketball think it would help donations quite a bit. Or just a collective for womens basketball with some transpaency so donors could know what is be collected so we would know if we have a chance at signing certain players.

Interesting. So Brooks will make a bit over 1 mil a year over 6 yrs. Doesn't KJH already make that?

What would buyout of that look like? I'm not sure how that works.
Seems as though he’s taking less to allocate more for staff and other needs for the program.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Kenny and others are intriguing, guessing a big bag of money is the only way.

Heard booster don’t like supporting BHC for NIL, does anyone have insight if this is across the board no matter LV basketball coach or does this relate to Kellie being the coach?
I think BHC would do just fine if we had a better coach.

Karen Weekly and Eve Rackham Watt don’t seem to have any trouble getting players in the NIL era.

“Muh NIL money” is just the latest excuse the Subaru crowd has come up with to place the blame for LV basketball’s failures anywhere else but where it belongs.

Karen Weekly and Eve Rackham Watt don’t seem to have any trouble getting players in the NIL era.

“Muh NIL money” is just the latest excuse the Subaru crowd has come up with to place the blame for LV basketball’s failures anywhere else but where it belongs.

Really low on sponsors should have more like 100

I might be more willing to buy the NIL excuse if 1) Kellie had recruited well in the pre-NIL days, which she didn’t, and 2) again, if coaches of our other women’s sports weren’t killing it in recruiting right now, but they are.
Are softball and volleyball high school recruits getting upfront NIL payments to sign? Didn't know that. I knew they get a chance at the paint with a twist nights, etc, which is true NIL. Didn't know they were in on the signing bonuses.

I might be more willing to buy the NIL excuse if 1) Kellie had recruited well in the pre-NIL days, which she didn’t, and 2) again, if coaches of our other women’s sports weren’t killing it in recruiting right now, but they are.
Soccer recruits top 25 classes, but NIL for soccer (aside from maybe UNC, FSU, and UCLA) is zilch. So it’s easier. Angel Reese is literally bragging about her NIL, which I think increases expectations (reasonable or not) from high schoolers in particular.

1.) end game to the spinners

AD White has given up on the goal of returning the Lady Vols to their former elite status if he doesn't make an offer to Lisa Fortier. Kellie Harper is a wonderful person but she cannot compete with Staley and Mulkey. I believe strongly Fortier could compete with them.

Reactions: Volfan2012
AD White has given up on the goal of returning the Lady Vols to their former elite status if he doesn't make an offer to Lisa Fortier. Kellie Harper is a wonderful person but she cannot compete with Staley and Mulkey. I believe strongly Fortier could compete with them.
I like her and Gottlieb from out West. I like Brooks of Va Tech and McGuff of Ohio St. I really like the Florida Atlantic guy who has beat a lot of the power fives including Mulkey

Reactions: Nute Gunray
I like her and Gottlieb from out West. I like Brooks of Va Tech and McGuff of Ohio St. I really like the Florida Atlantic guy who has beat a lot of the power fives including Mulkey
I’ll take Gottlieb only if she can bring Juju and Kennedy Smith, only a coach that can bring elite talent with them, I’m not trying to start over from scratch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan2012

VN Store

Back