The Official #5 Tennessee @ Mississippi State Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, SEC Network

Then play Dillione. That is my preference anyway.

Carr has a higher ceiling than Gainey is all I’m saying and if you give him minutes now maybe he is prepared for March. My first choice would be Dillione though.
I don’t think Freddie’s foot is all the way back yet. The minutes he got in the first half were pretty much out of necessity because Santi got himself in foul trouble.

Something happened to Vescovi. He is not the player he was, when he should be even better. I think He has some underlying health issues.

Ya’ll only seem to care about offense or something. Santi is more than a 3 ball shooter.

Only played 5 minutes in 1st half & got 1 shot attempt, Vols were down by 13. He plays most the second half and the Vols score 50. He is a HUGE impact player on the floor with or without scoring. He has accepted that he’s the 3rd or 4th option on offense this year.

I don’t think anything’s wrong, but I do wish he was scoring 10+ a night consistently.

No way are Vols a top 5 team. People always say "they all hate us" but "they" continue to rank us waaay higher than we deserve. Always.
It’s not just about us. It’s about everyone else, too. 4 of the top 5 teams just lost. Right this minute, 9, 13, and 15 are either in OT or losing. We have a very good basketball team, and top 10 is about right.

No way are Vols a top 5 team. People always say "they all hate us" but "they" continue to rank us waaay higher than we deserve. Always.

I guess Houston, Kansas, Purdue, and possibly UCONN aren’t top 5 teams either. Truth is no one probably meets the standards of “Top 5” team this year.

I guess Houston, Kansas, Purdue, and possibly UCONN aren’t top 5 teams either. Truth is no one probably meets the standards of “Top 5” team this year.
Do all of those teams have 4 losses. Wait two of those teams beat us and another is the reigning national champion. Maybe that’s why they actually are top 5 teams. Cmon man, talk real.

Reactions: Clad in Big Orange
As long as we play like we are capable in March that’s all that matters. Unfortunately that’s not our history.

We just need ZZ & DK to keep balling & then someone else to step up and add consistent points every night.

James, Aidoo, Santi, Awaka & Mashack have all shown the ability to score 10+

True. We just can’t fall into the same pitfalls we had last season where on the road we rotated which 1 player was going to have a good game and the rest of the lineup stunk. Hopefully tonight is the anomaly. It’s not going to get any easier on the road.

My biggest concern though is just that it’s looking like a trend where is we play a team with an elite big man he goes to work in the post like clockwork. Edey, Dickson, Bacot, and now Smith have all killed us.

Not great.

I still haven’t felt this good about this Tennessee team since the Grant William years. Mississippi State is a good team and it’s what happens when you are a top 5 team playing against an unranked team who is probably good enough to be ranked now that they have their best player. Second half we turned it on, but too little too late. Knecht is such a baller.

Didn't we start last season with a couple of early losses? I was out and missed the game so no comment on the play. I'm sure they will be missing this win even more later in the season.

Do all of those teams have 4 losses. Wait two of those teams beat us and another is the reigning national champion. Maybe that’s why they actually are top 5 teams. Cmon man, talk real.

The point is all those teams have lost to unranked teams on the road already. And if you want “real talk” Houston played one of the softest non-conference schedules of any high-major Top 25 team. The first true test they faced they lost. If we played their schedule, we wouldn’t have 4 losses.

I need to see how we play the rest of January before I’m ready to say we aren’t a Top 5 team.

Didn't we start last season with a couple of early losses? I was out and missed the game so no comment on the play. I'm sure they will be missing this win even more later in the season.

Think we started conference play 7-1 or something like that last season. The first half of our conference slate was pretty weak. The season we won the conference tournament we started 2-3 in conference play.

Reactions: GiveHim6InSC
True. We just can’t fall into the same pitfalls we had last season where on the road we rotated which 1 player was going to have a good game and the rest of the lineup stunk. Hopefully tonight is the anomaly. It’s not going to get any easier on the road.

My biggest concern though is just that it’s looking like a trend where is we play a team with an elite big man he goes to work in the post like clockwork. Edey, Dickson, Bacot, and now Smith have all killed us.

Not great.
I just don’t think we are a good away team. We went 4-5 last year. We need to be able to win road games.

The point is all those teams have lost to unranked teams on the road already. And if you want “real talk” Houston played one of the softest non-conference schedules of any high-major Top 25 team. The first true test they faced they lost. If we played their schedule, we wouldn’t have 4 losses.

I need to see how we play the rest of January before I’m ready to say we aren’t a Top 5 team.
Oh Houston isn’t top 5 and neither are we at least right now. The others are though and proved it which we have not. Our team is missing something and looking more like teams of the past few years. Hopefully they can get it going. History proves we never do though.

Not great.

Yep, Awaka is too short & Aidoo is too weak.

We were better defensively inside last year with Uros & ON available for those matchups.

Yep, Awaka is too short & Aidoo is too weak.

We were better defensively inside last year with Uros & ON available for those matchups.

I guess the silver lining is neither Georgia nor Florida have dominant post play. We really need to take advantage of that these next two games.

I just wish we got a consistent whistle.

Ole Miss was a good example of how we can roll teams when the officiating is called evenly.

Reactions: 508mikey

VN Store

Back