Recruiting Football Talk VII

Because everyone here loves him. I'm a rebel like that.
I don't "love him"...outside of SpringBok I don't remember ANYBODY else here that does...

You know good and damn well that is not what 99% of us have said.

I will say this, and I doubt you will disagree...I sure as heck hope you are wrong as hell.

I forgot about the 1967 claimed National Title by our Vols... I bring it up because I was also born in 1967, today as a matter of fact.. 01/05/1967... Ha... Go Vols!
7sv.gif

If you're 56, you were born in 1967, which would technically mean we've won 2 national championships in your lifetime.
68..born in July so I'm still 55 right now. The 67 NC is contested anyway...but if you want to count it that's fine by me...the more the better. I usually just count the 2.

Ok..so it's your opinion that we have had the players to play tight mtm coverage..and we just don't because Banks is a dumbass.

For the record...I don't like backing off that far either...but I don't like giving up 70 yard passes in 2nd and 5 two to three times a game either.

I hope the backing off is because they KNOW that could be the likely result.
It's my opinion Banks can't take a group of players and mold them into a good defensive unit. Heupel doesn't need the best players to put together a really good offense. It's the old more than the sum of the parts. I think for $2mil we can get a coach that can do that. When Heupel was hired I was intrigued because while he wasn't a splash hire, he was a coach that I perceived that could do more with less. I thought that was exactly the type of coach we needed. After three years, I'm convinced coach Banks doesn't have that ability.

Reactions: StoVol
I don't "love him"...outside of SpringBok I don't remember ANYBODY else here that does...

You know good and damn well that is not what 99% of us have said.

I will say this, and I doubt you will disagree...I sure as heck hope you are wrong as hell.
I hope I'm wrong too. I guess it boils down to how much faith one has. I'm devoid of faith that he'll do anymore than he's done to date. Three years is enough for me.

It's my opinion Banks can't take a group of players and mold them into a good defensive unit. Heupel doesn't need the best players to put together a really good offense. It's the old more than the sum of the parts. I think for $2mil we can get a coach that can do that. When Heupel was hired I was intrigued because while he wasn't a splash hire, he was a coach that I perceived that could do more with less. I thought that was exactly the type of coach we needed. After three years, I'm convinced coach Banks doesn't have that ability.
Like I said...I hope to hell you're wrong.

The defense is better than it was before he got here....and that is a fact...you know it is the truth. Maybe you're right and he is not good enough, I don't believe that can be concluded with the ABSOLUTE certainty that you claim...I hope you are wrong.

When people mention great Wide Receivers that played at Tennessee, everybody seems to forget Alvin Harper..

12th draft pick of 1991 NFL Draft...forgot what team he got picked by😏😏😏
Bet Craig Faulkner would be fun to watch in this offense. . . if you could pick 4 WRs from any Tennessee team, which ones?

I could pick about 100, 😂. I would like to see Pig Howard too, not because he was an all-time great, but because how shifty and quick he was. Also, Stallworth, Witten, etc, etc.

68..born in July so I'm still 55 right now. The 67 NC is contested anyway...but if you want to count it that's fine by me...the more the better. I usually just count the 2.
I usually claim 4 National Championships... 1938, 1939 - The last time a team went undefeated and unscored upon during the regular season, 1951, 1998... Probably could make a case for claiming 1950, but I usually stick with the four I have mentioned above.

Found this guy by accident and the break down is super good so far (I'm watching it right now). He breaks down everything not just QB play but OL play and WR play and gives you info on what happened as well as what OL did wrong.

ETA - Ha Enki'd.

I think he has a breakdown of Sampson on his channel too.

Reactions: JacketVol
It was a loaded question. His inference was that we didn't have any players that can play man coverage. It was another attempt to blame the players for his ineptitude. If you can't see that then there's no reason to discuss it.

We may not have the best talent but I think the guys are better than playing 15 yards off the line of scrimmage in 2nd and 5.
I’m not blaming the players. We just have not had a decent corner since Alontae to play in man regularly which generally opens up big plays and coverage options that can confuse opposing QB’s. Guys like Tank are not fast enough to cover up corners gettting beat which happens to the best. I wish we had better DB’s but we don’t and I’m not ready to go back to the days when guys like Coleman give up 70 yard bombs. We have not really had guys giving up huge plays the last few years. I see that as a win. I suspect Banks would love to mix coverages more and hope the young guys allow him to do so. But you’ve punted on every question anyone has asked you. You’re in a position to fire someone but no idea about his replacement? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Bet Craig Faulkner would be fun to watch in this offense. . . if you could pick 4 WRs from any Tennessee team, which ones?

I could pick about 100, 😂. I would like to see Pig Howard too, not because he was an all-time great, but because how shifty and quick he was. Also, Stallworth, Witten, etc, etc.
That's a tough question..I will go with Pickens, Hyatt, Peerless...and..Joey or Robert.

Meachem, Marcus Nash, Cedric Wilson, Micheal Rivera bit of a head case but could catch the ball from TE position.. just to add more to the list..

The RB has safety reads and LB reads, he can block, middle screen or release. Sampson did not miss a block as the announcers alluded to, he fell to middle screen on a correct read. Our slot has several reads, our outside 1 and 2, less so. Their reads are almost entirely pre-snap, unless they get man coverage. Then they can dig or go. I have high hopes for Matthews and Staley in their ability to play outside or inside and pickup the schemes. We’ll see.
For RB you either commit to stoning the blitzing LB or you immediately release. It looked like Sampson did neither.

mtsub tried to hire banks.

why would he go some where else for less money, more responsibility, just to work harder? you guys realize our defense finished ranked ahead of missouri

I think it was good enough to win 10 games.

Offense wasn't.
I remember people saying "Man, if we had this year's defense in '22, we'd be unstoppable." Then the blatant no-calls started. . . seems the defense did pretty well when fairly called by the refs. It seems like our 3rd down defense was a nightmare in long yardage situations. I don't like Martinez's philosophy though. I think it's caused some noticeable problems.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back