Recruiting Football Talk VII

Last night's results have given me some pause. I have definitely been on the "recruiting rankings matter more than coaching train" and while I still believe recruiting is a massive factor maybe it is not as important as I thought.

Per the 247 talent composite: The #14 Michigan took down #1 Alabama and #26 Washington beat #6 Texas. Last year, #32 TCU won over #13 Michigan. Obviously, more data is needed, but it will be interesting to see if this trend continues.
You need the right guys not all the guys IMO. Corum and Penix were the right guys last night.
IMO the outcome that was the most intriguing was Bama losing. They had the most talent and most experience coaching. Came down to guys not making plays like it always does. Corum made his plays and Milroe didn't.

I think our style of play aligns well for this new playoff format. I think our focus on guys like Nico and Pearce is even more important though. Those are the types of difference makers that can close an important game.

In case anyone needs it

January 2, 2024: Your inclination for the new year is to make great, sweeping changes, but that will not be in your best interest. There are things that need to be adjusted in what you do, so make the adjustments in small increments instead of throwing out the baby with the bath water. Keep your focus on Me, and fine tune your spiritual ear to hear and heed My leading, says the Lord. Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

interesting to see how this shakes out next year. quick look at '24 schedules, i like Mizzou and Ole MIss's chances of holding serve. i think both are basically guaranteed 10 wins. in a year where a lot of SEC programs got a schedule boost, i think both of these two schools got a big break.....

Anyways, on a more important note.

Seldon has been a nice surprise. I thought he was coming in as a reciever but his size and speed combo have the makings of an Elite back.
he looked huge yesterday....i hadn't seen him or recalled seeing him...i was surprised at how big he was.

Anyone know who is #9 for Tennessee on special teams? (Not in the box score or our roster.) He had a penalty for running into the punt returner that gave Iowa the ball on the 25 YL instead of the 10 YL.
Ramel Keyton
With so many opt outs, they asked for volunteers to play on special teams. It was his first time to play them in a couple of years

You need the right guys not all the guys IMO. Corum and Penix were the right guys last night.
IMO the outcome that was the most intriguing was Bama losing. They had the most talent and most experience coaching. Came down to guys not making plays like it always does. Corum made his plays and Milroe didn't.

I think our style of play aligns well for this new playoff format. I think our focus on guys like Nico and Pearce is even more important though. Those are the types of difference makers that can close an important game.
In fairness to Milroe, Bama's O-line was embarassing themselves all night. He had no confidence in his center's snap, chased it all night. The O-line was clueless on who to block in pass pro. All of that messed up his confidence. But it also appeared the game was way too big for him, he was really tentative at times.

100% agree on our style of play and the players. I love where all this is headed.

In fairness to Milroe, Bama's O-line was embarassing themselves all night. He had no confidence in his center's snap, chased it all night. The O-line was clueless on who to block in pass pro. All of that messed up his confidence. But it also appeared the game was way too big for him, he was really tentative at times.

100% agree on our style of play and the players. I love where all this is headed.
True that last snap was a pure disaster. Still all of America thinks they called a draw, but they didn't, he freaked out. If he had run to his left he had a chance.

Both playoff games were elite. If we get even one more matchup that good in a 12 team playoff that will be some outstanding football. To hell with the hand wringing on bowls. The teams that cared like UT, UGA, Mizzou, Ole Miss had great outings and their fans had fun. Hell even LSU was a great game.

January 2, 1939

Tennessee 17- Oklahoma 0

Tennessee and Oklahoma squared off in the1939 Orange Bowl in a classic battle of speed against size. And, when it was over, Tennessee’s speed and stamina had won out by a 17-0 count. Tennessee had come into the game undefeated and No. 2 in the country and Oklahoma was riding a 14-game winning streak. Tennessee scored first when a 15-yard penalty backed the Sooners to their 3-yard line. Vol tailback George Cafego returned the ensuing punt to the Sooner 27 and followed up the punt return with a key gain to the 12.Two plays later, Bob Foxx scored from the 8. The Vols scored a field goal after a Sooner fumble, a 22-yarder by Bowden Wyatt, and led 10-0 at the half. Tennessee scored its final touchdown in the fourth quarter on a 19-yard run by Babe Wood on a reverse. The Vols polished off their eighth shutout of the season by stopping the Sooners the rest of the way and finished undefeated in 11 games. It was a penalty-plagued game as tempers flared throughout the contest and more than 200 yards were assessed against the teams.

SCORING SUMMARY
TENN — Foxx 8 run (Wyatt run)
TENN — Wyatt 32 FG
TENN — Wood 19 run (Foxx kick)
The 1938 squad, coached by Major R.R. Neyland in his second of three stints at UT, captured the SEC championship and was crowned national champion by Dunkel and Litkenhous ratings.

The Vols outscored their opponents 293-16 that season. Bob Suffridge, a quick All-American guard out of Knoxville Central High School, anchored their great defense. Halfback George Cafego and end Bowden Wyatt, who would later succeed Neyland as head coach in 1955, also were All-Americans on the ‘38 team.

1939 Orange Bowl Tennessee vs Oklahoma; College Football

1704203622416.png

Both playoff games were elite. If we get even one more matchup that good in a 12 team playoff that will be some outstanding football. To hell with the hand wringing on bowls. The teams that cared like UT, UGA, Mizzou, Ole Miss had great outings and their fans had fun. Hell even LSU was a great game.
They were good games, but I would hardly call them Elite.

Definetly a drop in the level of play from past title games.

VN Store

Back