What other message boards are saying (Post Iowa Edition)

Agree to disagree. Holding your offense to 21-28 points with an offense that went 5 plays or less on 8 drives and losing field position battle all game is a very nice showing.

The 5 other teams holding you under that were 1) top 25 defenses, 2) had much more capable offenses.

Is Iowa a top 10 defense absolutely not. Are they top 15ish I believe so.
Decent defense. Subjectively, the defenses that looked better against UT this year to me: Georgia, Mizzouri, Florida, Alabama, A&M. Maybe Kentucky, I’d say it’s comparable between Iowa and Kentucky. It really is amazing that your D willed your team to 10 wins in a P5 conference.

Silly comment. Lorenzen--the Pillsbury Throwboy--could actually throw the football well. He was also a great athlete. Overweight, yes...but he could play. Deacon Hill can't play a lick.

Always made me nervous when we played KY with Lorenzen as QB. He was a very worthy opponent-regardless of his size.

The Iowa QB today? Not so much honestly.

Although their coach is good, it's time for him to hit the retirement button. Great on developing defensive players year in and year out but you can't be one dimensional all the time. Iowa needs, and deserves, a decent offense & coach F is NOT the person to get one. Just like Michigan skunked them, we did too. The lack of an offense was overwhelming and you almost felt sorry for the fans & players. They deserve more than this. Sad. So what does 10 wins in an offensive-less conference mean? Nothing.
Please

This is hilarious. They would have said we were classless if we had gone for that last touchdown. But now we're classless for stopping at the 1yard line and letting the clock run out. Frankly, I think that decision gave us the best of both worlds. Especially since they were ranked well above us going in.
They were ranked 17, we were 21. Yet, we were 6.5 pt favorites? Bizarro world!

Am I crazy? I don't think the Iowa defense was any better than anyone we faced in SEC besides maybe Vandy. Iowa was like Austin Peay with a worse offense.

We put up an average of 30 points per game against power 5 schools in 2023. Put up 35 in the bowl game. You’re not crazy.

Reactions: amaralfan1
Im enjoying the contingent on their boards that are still dead set on how amazing their defense is and how that’s going to take them to the promised land. They are going to have to rebuild an entire offense from nothing before they will ever be competitive against a middle of the road team - and they get some company next year in the B1G that’s going to put up points beyond what their traditional foes do.

One good defensive game against Michigan is what they are hanging their hats on.

And I like them as a fan base. But man, they are hamstrung by KF having a stranglehold on that job.

With Iowa having great fan support and the Big Ten being the one conference that makes more TV $$$ than the SEC, why in the world have they not ponied up big bucks to bring in a coordinater who can run a competent offense?

I don’t know, I have been trying to put myself in an Iowa fans shoes. The one thing I can’t get past in that scenario is how on earth do you game plan for this matchup and NOT start the QB that has some mobility against us? The Statue of Pork made our defense look world-class and we all know that is a stretch. And he rode with him until the game was so far out of reach (to be fair, 7-0 was out of reach).

I don’t think you can excuse that call. Given that the B1G is changing next year and bringing in teams that are going to far surpass the Iowas of the world, I don’t think you can sit back and hope KF magically discovers an offense. They are going to get buried and left in the dust - and that’s sad, because they (generally) have a passionate and classy fan base.
Yes, this was a head scratcher. Ferentz had to know stuff after 25 yrs but he missed this one?

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Well at least Iowa won their first bowl game against Nebraska.

Could have been 63-0 with our starters like Wright and Baron playing.

Reactions: FLVOL_79

VN Store

Back