The Official #7 Tennessee vs. #2 Purdue Game Thread, 8:00 PM ET, ESPN

Any news on Awaka?
giphy.gif

Edey is so massive he doesn't have to foul, he doesn't need to jump into people or bull them over. McLeod had no fouls yesterday either.
Some people don't seem to understand this. If you're 7'4 and a disciplined, experienced defender, you don't have to foul to be an effective defender.

Any official word on this yet?
For a November game I'd say it's definitely unofficially official. In Feb maybe they'd let him go if he felt able but if I'm a coach I don't care if he feels able or not today.... he aint goin. jmo

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'd also like to see a little Cade Phillips today. Freshman or not he doesn't seem like he has a lot of back down in him in terms of defending. He'd also be somewhat of an expendable player to get into foul trouble. Also, and this is probably going to be a very unpopular opinion, but I wish Knecht's minutes would go down a little bit until the start of conference play. I noticed yesterday the only breather he had in the 2nd half before he started cramping was 30 seconds of game time and a commercial break. jmo fire away lol

Last edited:
I'd also like to see a little Cade Phillips today. Freshman or not he doesn't seem like he has a lot of back down in him in terms of defending. He'd also fall be somewhat of an expendable player to get into foul trouble. Also, and this is probably going to be a very unpopular opinion, but I wish Knecht's minutes would go down a little bit until the start of conference play. I noticed yesterday the only breather he had in the 2nd half before he started cramping was 30 seconds of game time and a commercial break. jmo fire away lol

I’ve been impressed with both Cade and JP. Sorry, not really a response to your post, just needed to be said lol

I can’t wait till they are JR’s and SR’s on the court together, that should be dangerous.

I’ve been impressed with both Cade and JP. Sorry, not really a response to your post, just needed to be said lol

I can’t wait till they are JR’s and SR’s on the court together, that should be dangerous.
Agree... Estrella struggled a little at the line yesterday but has a smooth shot for a 6'11 freshman. That's probably where only being 6'2 to start high school helped develop his outside shot earlier.

I'd also like to see a little Cade Phillips today. Freshman or not he doesn't seem like he has a lot of back down in him in terms of defending. He'd also be somewhat of an expendable player to get into foul trouble. Also, and this is probably going to be a very unpopular opinion, but I wish Knecht's minutes would go down a little bit until the start of conference play. I noticed yesterday the only breather he had in the 2nd half before he started cramping was 30 seconds of game time and a commercial break. jmo fire away lol
Good point…he probably did need a rest before he started cramping up.

I very selfishly want a win BAD! But in reality, as long as we don’t get laughed out of the gym, this is a great game to have for us. We will get a good idea of where we stand, identify our weakness, and even if we lose, it’s not going to be considered a bad loss at all.

With that said….WGWTFA!

Looking forward to seeing how we match up. Hope Knecht is ok and without awaka I think game much more difficult for us inside. Lets play hard and see what we can do

I am with you!!! But gotta play devil's advocate and see that there is the other side .... the more he is on the court with his teammates the quicker the team will develop 'chemistry.'
So, I am ...putting my trust in "Barnes knows what he is doing."

Cool story for the history books on Rick Barnes, ...
Coach Barnes was in the airport headed to HI.
He asked if could sit down in the seat next to a guy I go to church with ... and they struck up a conversation.
My friend was going to text his daughter and wish her well for her basketball game that night .... and Rick says, "No, let's do a video call."
And they did and Rick Barnes wished his daughter well on the court that night.
That my friends is the coach we have!!! True story!!!

Think they are using this early season to help condition him and figure out his limits a bit too.

I have a good feeling about the game tonight. A lot of Matt Painter’s teams through the years have struggled in tournament play. They just lost as a #1 seed to a 16 seed in the NCAA tournament last year. Vols are deep, only takes 1 guy getting hot to add another quality win to our resume. LETS GOOOOOO!!!

I think Perdue wore down Gonzaga. I think our depth will help us here. I think Awaka could body a little with Edey. We need to keep Ado out of foul trouble. Ado can work the medium range jumper and even the 3 ball occasionally. If he can pull Edey away from the basket, we can attack the basket. If Ado can hit some shots that will be big.

The 2019 loss really stings. If I was to say who my most hated team outside of the SEC is .... it's gotta be Purdue.
If Purdue had not come along and had the game gifted by the refs, I would say Michigan State was the more hated team. We out played them back in the elite 8, only to have the refs stop calling fouls in the last two minutes of the game. Pearl’s Vols handled MSU for 38 minutes on that day.

Purdue is a 2.5 point favorite. There is always Big 10 bias.
As they should be. They are #2 in the country with last seasons POY. I’m worried zero about the line.

Our team is experienced, locked in, and we finally have guys who can step up and get buckets when we need them. Our guards will be absolute hell for theirs. I sure wish we had Tobe to come in as another set of fresh legs to give Edey hell, but feel good about the contributions Estrella and Philips can bring in bursts of time. That’s always hard on a guy who plays 30+ mins to deal in those short spurts of an ultra fresh set of legs looking to prove themselves.

Much like others, I was pleased with JP yesterday outside of his FTs. He has great form though, so I am sure he will shore that up. Heck, we can always improve at the line across the board.

The Maui Invite this year provides sooo much opportunity wise to find out who we are against incredible competition. Go Big Orange!!🍊🍊

If Purdue had not come along and had the game gifted by the refs, I would say Michigan State was the more hated team. We out played them back in the elite 8, only to have the refs stop calling fouls in the last two minutes of the game. Pearl’s Vols handled MSU for 38 minutes on that day.

Tennessee has been shafted by officiating for years now.

I know we weren’t very good this year in football but some of the calls against us were unbelievable.

VN Store

Back