The Official #7 Tennessee vs. #2 Purdue Game Thread, 8:00 PM ET, ESPN

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Allstate Maui Invitational

#7 Tennessee Volunteers: 4-0 (0-0 SEC)

F_Z9wgiaMAAsUKD

vs.

#2 Purdue Boilermakers: 4-0 (0-0 BIG-10)
F_ai4cWa8AA8UHB

GAME 5 | TENNESSEE vs. PURDUE - Tuesday, Nov. 21, 2023 | 8:00 p.m. ET | Honolulu, Hawaii | SimpliFi Arena at the Stan Sheriff Center (10,300)

Line: UT +2.5
O/U: 134.5

TV: ESPN / Watch
Radio: Vol Network / Listen / Live Stats
Satellite Radio: SiriusXM: 106 & 204
Online: WatchESPN.com

Syracuse Game Notes

1700582926592.png

Last edited:
Nope!
We, well maybe I should say I, want to see what we have when Edey plays a good game.
It tells us nothing about our team, when an opposing player is sick or gets in early foul trouble or has an off game.
I want to know how good we are ... when they are at their best and we give our best.

I want to see smothering defense.
I want to see SV's shot return to form and light them up for 18+.
I want to see what Aidoo and Estrella can actually do against Edey. (He is going to score points. But he cannot carry them to victory by himself.)
I want the game to slow back down for ZZ.
I want to see JJ continue with his current level of contribution.
And Knecht not have cramps on Tuesday.
I expect a hard fought game ... with margin of victory in single digits.
My prediction TN in a close one. Purdue is a top 5 team.

I say we squeak by with a 3-5 point win here. Give Edey his 15 points but limit everyone else. Our guards are superior in this but out front court will be at a disadvantage. Throw all our posts at edey and be physical. Make him run.

I’m predicting a very close game. Vols win 67-64. One thing I noticed in the second half of the Syracuse game. Let me say this first. I love Knecht. He’s very gifted and will help this team tremendously throughout the season. However, I noticed when he was out, especially towards the end when we pulled away, we seemed to play with better chemistry. The group of JJJ, Aidoo, Ziegler, Vescovi, and Mashack really passed the ball well and played really good defense. Just my perspective.

I’m predicting a very close game. Vols win 67-64. One thing I noticed in the second half of the Syracuse game. Let me say this first. I love Knecht. He’s very gifted and will help this team tremendously throughout the season. However, I noticed when he was out, especially towards the end when we pulled away, we seemed to play with better chemistry. The group of JJJ, Aidoo, Ziegler, Vescovi, and Mashack really passed the ball well and played really good defense. Just my perspective.
All those guys have played together for years now. Chemistry with Knecht will improve as we move through the season

Purdue 3 point favorite...look for this to be a Big Ten physical game ...

Tennessee 73
Purdue 67

Hopefully Edey gets in foul trouble...send Aidoo,Estrella and even Cade Phillips at him...Awaka playing probably not...
Getting Edey in foul trouble is a tough proposition. He had no fouls vs Gonzaga. In fact, he hasn't logged more than 1 foul in any game this year, unheard of for a big guy actually

We gotta have high ball screens from our 5 to get Edey out of the paint on offense.

I want to see Awaka and Aidoo get physical on Edey on defense. Deny the entry pass and go up STRONG for rebounds.
Don't count on Awaka. I doubt he's available due to an ankle injury yesterday

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The good news? Other than Edey they don't have near the length/size that Syracuse had.

Braden Smith - 6'0"
Lance Jones - 6'1"
Myles Colvin - 6'5"
Fletcher Loyer - 6'5"
Mason Gillis - 6'6"
Kaufman-Renn - 6'9"

Syracuse's shortest player we saw was Cuffe at 6'2"

The majority of their minutes went to
Starling - 6'4"
Bell - 6'7"
Taylor - 6'6"
Mintz - 6'3"
McLeod - 7'4"
Brown - 6'8"

I have talked trash to a LOT of my Purdue friends today. We better come to play tonight.

Winning this game partially avenges our 2019/2021 postseason clashes with them. I don't think we could truly avenge without knocking them out of the postseason in one of the two major sports. They suck in FB this year so no chance of bowling against them. Basketball seems to be our best chance.

Still very bitter about this:
1700587028300.png
and this:
1700587042261.png

Keys to the game:

1) Shut down their guards. Edey is going to get his regardless.

2) Force Purdue to face your half-court defense. They killed Gonzaga with their fast-break offense. Our fast break defense (offensive rebounding, defense on the rebounded ball to slow outpass, and guards getting back) needs to be on point.

3) Although Edey is going to get his, make him work for it. Gonzaga did a good job stealing the ball virtually every time he tried to dribble. Need to be fundamentally sound on boxing out; might even be able to pick up a could rebounding fouls.

4) Don't be afraid of Edey's defense. Against Syracuse, who also had a 7 footer, we were afraid to attack the lane and take contact. Knecht is really good at drawing fouls while attacking the rim. Force Edey to play perfectly or risk having to sit on the bench.

If we can come out and play confident, don't get rattled and intimidated early if some things don't go our way at first (like previous Barnes teams), then I think we win and are primed for another upset in the finals.

If we have some issues at first and mentally check out/we go cold early (again, like some of Barnes teams have done) or get intimated, then I think we will struggle to make it a close game.

I think the difference is DK is hungry right now, wanting to prove himself, and doesn't seem to be intimidated by any set of circumstances, so the team will feed off this confidence and push through the in-game struggles we may have...

Reactions: Sportslady
the Vols are tenacious. Our early schedule has served us well. This game will decide whether both teams are deserving of the ranking numbers beside their names. I like what I have seen with this year's team. This should be a barn burner of a game. GBO!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back