Lofton scores 61

My problem with everyone's argument is saying that the ability to shoot is a product of a system. This is complete BS. Shooting does not relate at all to a pass in football. You know that as much as I do. There's a reason I didn't try to relate it. If someone can shoot, they can shoot whether the court says Tennessee or Dallas, USC or Los Angeles. There's no system that can make a person make more 3s. It comes down to person work to train yourself to shoot better.

My problem with everyone's argument is saying that the ability to shoot is a product of a system. This is complete BS. Shooting does not relate at all to a pass in football. You know that as much as I do. There's a reason I didn't try to relate it. If someone can shoot, they can shoot whether the court says Tennessee or Dallas, USC or Los Angeles. There's no system that can make a person make more 3s. It comes down to person work to train yourself to shoot better.
It just keeps getting better.

Tell me a system in college basketball that makes shooting a ball from behind a line easier than in a different one.

Guess you're right. Nothing like running the spread offense in college basketball. From what I've heard, it makes the basket appear 20 feet closer when standing at the 3 point line.

Tell me a system in college basketball that makes shooting a ball from behind a line easier than in a different one.
I'll assure you it was easier for Wayne Ellington to shoot 3s than it was for JJ Redick or CLo. Maybe you can figure out the offensive assets that made that so.

edit: My apologies. Didn't realize I was posting in the Vol Hoops forum. Blame the New Posts button.

Wow thats just too awesome!!'...Way to go Chris!!...The VOLnation is behind you and proud of you!

That he can shoot?

Notice from the beginning that I never said he should be in the NBA now. I said that, without cancer, I think he would have been.
Yet from the beginning, you come at me as if I'm saying that he should be in right now. At least you base your attacks on what you think is accurate :good!:
Chris Lofton as a junior would have gone undrafted. Stats dont show athletic ability or ability to play on the ball defense. Please answer one question for me truthfully, How many NBA games have you ever watched? Maybe that will help me understand why you do not understand this concept of guys like Lebron James being guarded by Chris Lofton

No worries. I watched every game. I was there when he hit the shot to sink Winthrop.
The point of this is not to say that we are good or bad. Nor is it to say that we were good or bad. I don't care, for the sake of this argument, that he had to hit the shot in the first place. It's simple to say that he is a shooter, and that he can hit contested shots, but he does more than that. He is the guy you can turn to when you need a big shot. He takes the pressure, stares down a Kevin Durant, and drains it from 12 feet behind the 3 point line.
But hey, Durant is awful. Why should we take that into account anyway. He can't play defense. He wasn't Rookie of the Year.

Chris Lofton is probably as good a pure shooter as anyone will ever find. But there is absolutely no way he could ever even think about a guy that can go and get his own shot in the NBA. The Durant shot was an amazing shot; however, Durant wasn't in his grill because Lofton was basically at half court. Lofton is one of my favorite players ever at UT; but unless he could get on a team like Cleveland that can just park shooters in the corners and get lots of open shots because of Lebron, Lofton stands little chance of making it in the NBA. And even if he could get on a team such as that, I'm not very confident that he would be able to guard a normal NBA guard.

Chris Lofton as a junior would have gone undrafted. Stats dont show athletic ability or ability to play on the ball defense. Please answer one question for me truthfully, How many NBA games have you ever watched? Maybe that will help me understand why you do not understand this concept of guys like Lebron James being guarded by Chris Lofton

...because he at shooting guard would match up to a small forward... oh, and i've seen plenty of the nba in my day

and just to throw it out, my assumption would be lofton to a golden state or phoenix. a run and gun offense. i think his shooting and poor defensive ability would be better suited up tempo...

The closest thing I can think of right now to compare to Lofton is Jason Kapono.

Except Kapono is 6'8, which alone makes him much more valuable in the NBA.

You think he would be on a team if he was 6'1?

Steve Alford and Chris Mullin say you're wrong.

Notice I said probably. I never said that I thought Lofton was better than the two you mentioned. Personally, I have never seen a better shooter than Lofton. I know that Alford and Mullin were certainly great shooters, but it would be very difficult to be a better pure shooter than Lofton, but I'm sure they were just as good.

and just to throw it out, my assumption would be lofton to a golden state or phoenix. a run and gun offense. i think his shooting and poor defensive ability would be better suited up tempo...

I don't think either situation would be good for Lofton. Both systems require breakdown guards that can get to the rack.

I find it hilarious that Hat only shows up (in this particular thread) when people start saying Lofton should/could play in the NBA. For the record, I actually agree with him about Lofton and the NBA...but where's the love for one of the all-time greatest Vols? "Greatest" in terms of what he accomplished at UT and meant for the university. I realize at this point you are probably prepping one of your satirical responses by congratulating Chris, but quickly adding where he was playing and the type of defense he was up against. My reply to that would be "so what?" Chris is making a decent living doing something he loves and he's being successful at it. If you are truly a Vol fan...how the heck can you not be happy for the guy?

VN Store

Back