Spectrum vs. Disney -- A Development Tracking Thread

I appreciate your insight. Let me ask a quick question:

If Charter has been planning to drop Disney all along and has no intention of signing a contract, why the drama? Why jerk their subscribers around with the notion that "We're still trying to negotiate a fair deal....."

That's not very respectful of their customers if this has been a planned course of business.

What are they waiting for? State your intentions and move on if that's how you've decided.
I wouldn’t say PLANNING. I would say they have prepared the business models with and without video and if Disney forces them then they are prepared to drop video and they know the impact to the business.

if you think Spectrum thinks this is going to get resolved then why according to some sources are they telling customers which competing services they should go get their ESPN from. You never tell your customers to go to your competitors.

I wouldn’t say PLANNING. I would say they have prepared the business models with and without video and if Disney forces them then they are prepared to drop video and they know the impact to the business.

if you think Spectrum thinks this is going to get resolved then why according to some sources are they telling customers which competing services they should go get their ESPN from. You never tell your customers to go to your competitors.
I've seen that and that does tell me they are out the door. So why not come out and say it?

If I were a Charter subscriber who cares about ESPN I'd want a very clear: Negotiations failed. Here's our suggested options if you want ESPN. We will make it easy to adjust your Charter subscription plan.

Here's a website, enter your customer number (or whatever) and choose a new plan.

Quick and to the point. If you're already tossing customers a line to another service, be clear and upfront: Charter is no longer a Disney provider.

Reactions: volwindy
I've seen that and that does tell me they are out the door. So why not come out and say it?

If I were a Charter subscriber who cares about ESPN I'd want a very clear: Negotiations failed. Here's our suggested options if you want ESPN. We will make it easy to adjust your Charter subscription plan.

Here's a website, enter your customer number (or whatever) and choose a new plan.

Quick and to the point. If you're already tossing customers a line to another service, be clear and upfront: Charter is no longer a Disney provider.
I think to your earlier point there is still some revenue there to be had but If Disney Forces them into another substantial fee increase, I think that is out of the question for them as it accelerates the cord cutting and the video profitability to the point video is no longer viable as a business.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
I'm trying to figure out why Charter thinks Disney wants another streaming partner. That's essentially what Hulu is doing for them.

What does Charter have that Disney really needs? The Charter subscribers want content and they don't care if it's Charter, Hulu, YT TV, etc.

What does Charter bring Disney in the deal?
The method of delivery and potential viewers. Disney is banking that viewers will just sign up for their service since they own the content.

Being able to have your own streaming service and bypass cable is the game changer. Like you asked. If Disney owns the content and can bring their content direct to a consumer why do they need cable. Not just charter. Anyone. I’d imagine they’ll likely demand incredible price hikes and threaten to pull their service from other cable providers going forward.

His class action will go no where and I bet what is going on now with Disney and Spectrum is covered in the TOS.
His Micky Mouse talk about Spectrum pulling the plug at the last minute says he doesn't know what he's talking about
Also people are posting they call Spectrum and are getting a $15 credit on their bill.

Good free advertising for him I guess

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Lately it seems Disney is feuding with everyone. Consumers, families, comic book fans, Star War fans, sports fans, cable companys, actors, writers, politicians, Florida, shareholders and etc. A corporation this antagonistic might be in serious need of new leadership.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Don’t blame Spectrum for refusing to pay the ransom, call Disney, the ones holding the hostage 😳
this is what spectrum gets for punishing its most loyal customers by hiking their rates up $75-100 when their introductory deal expires.

I just checked my spectrum bill and it had gone up over 5 bucks this month with all this crap going on!! So did some research and found out I could get Verizon 5G home internet and YTTV for 25 bucks cheaper a month. Called spectrum today after connecting to Verizon and said the He$$ with your Internet and TV!! This is exactly what everyone should do, because you can bet your A$$ Spectrum gonna raise you Price regardless of the outcome and if they give in to Disney it will go up by a hefty chunk!

I just checked my spectrum bill and it had gone up over 5 bucks this month with all this crap going on!! So did some research and found out I could get Verizon 5G home internet and YTTV for 25 bucks cheaper a month. Called spectrum today after connecting to Verizon and said the He$$ with your Internet and TV!! This is exactly what everyone should do, because you can bet your A$$ Spectrum gonna raise you Price regardless of the outcome and if they give in to Disney it will go up by a hefty chunk!

I have Verizon for the phones - I would never substitute that for home internet. I do use it if the internet is down and I have to be online - but unlimited is not really unlimited. Once you use a certain amount of data you are throttled. You do have data - it just becomes slow.

Reactions: CPA
I have Verizon for the phones - I would never substitute that for home internet. I do use it if the internet is down and I have to be online - but unlimited is not really unlimited. Once you use a certain amount of data you are throttled. You do have data - it just becomes slow.
Not substituting phones for Internet. I don't even have Verizon phones. They have there on internet and their own 5G router now and it is unlimited data no contract. 50 bucks a month! So far today it's as good as my spectrum Internet was

Not substituting phones for Internet. I don't even have Verizon phones. They have there on internet and their own 5G router now and it is unlimited data no contract. 50 bucks a month! So far today it's as good as my spectrum Internet was

So you are using wired and not the LTE network, like the phones use? For me it would be using the same LTE network that my phones use. That can also be a hit and miss around where I live. I might consider them if they ever get the wired fiber optic cable around here - but I don't expect that. I figure Spectrum will be the first to have that in this area if it ever happens.

So you are using wired and not the LTE network, like the phones use? For me it would be using the same LTE network that my phones use. That can also be a hit and miss around where I live. I might consider them if they ever get the wired fiber optic cable around here - but I don't expect that. I figure Spectrum will be the first to have that in this area if it ever happens.
It is the Wireless 5G home internet. Then I have my own Router connected into the Verizon router. The FiOS Internet is not available in my area either. I have several friends who has the wireless 5G home internet and have never once had any problems with it.

It is the Wireless 5G home internet. Then I have my own Router connected into the Verizon router. The FiOS Internet is not available in my area either. I have several friends who has the wireless 5G home internet and have never once had any problems with it.

Good luck to you! While I need internet or cable to support my college sports viewing, I also need the internet to be able to work from home and there are expectations around the connections for that.

Good luck to you! While I need internet or cable to support my college sports viewing, I also need the internet to be able to work from home and there are expectations around the connections for that.
Only thing I use internet for is streaming TV and my phone. And security system. That's all I use it for. So hopefully this will do for what I need.

Reactions: volfan102455
DeSantis could probably reboot his campaign by going after Disney on this issue. Millions of college football fans, especially in the South, would immediately pay attention 😉. Just like Khan going after Kirk 😂😂😂

DeSantis could probably reboot his campaign by going after Disney on this issue. Millions of college football fans, especially in the South, would immediately pay attention 😉. Just like Khan going after Kirk 😂😂😂
"Desantis vs Disney II" might turn out to be more of a Saturday morning serial than a sequel. I had high hopes for him, but eventually began noticing he always left a backdoor open for his public targets in the culture wars. Then when I saw all the Sea Island GOP elite fat cat money was being shoveled to his candidacy... I concluded that I'd been watching professional wrasslin' all along.

I think this Fall is going to be rough on the common man... and that's without reference to football. More money-siphoning mischief is in the works.

This is coming from someone that currently has YTTV - just remember that Google (owner of YTTV) has incredibly deep pockets and can continue taking losses on YTTV for a long, long time. Eventually they'll be one of the only providers left standing and then....buckle up and hold onto your wallets.

Reactions: volfan102455
Dropping Spectrum is the best way to voice your displeasure. Call and speak to customer retention and tell them exactly why you're dropping them.
No it is not, calling the number they provide for Disney is the right path. Charter can cave and pay more to Disney to have their channels, guess what happens to your bill. Leaving them now to get ESPN from someone else guess what is coming down the road higher cable bill. Charter is standing up now to this so it doesn't get out of control. Call Disney and tell them the company's that paid for commercials is missing on a ton of people through Charter.

Only bad thing right now is that Charter doesn't have any competition. Let's be real when is the last time you had any service or signal issue with Charter...me can't think of one. Dish a lot.

This is coming from someone that currently has YTTV - just remember that Google (owner of YTTV) has incredibly deep pockets and can continue taking losses on YTTV for a long, long time. Eventually they'll be one of the only providers left standing and then....buckle up and hold onto your wallets.
Google is dropping $2B / year on the NFL Sunday Ticket. If they were to buy ESPN from Disney, they'd be hell to negotiate with because they felt Disney shake them down a year or two ago.

Google also has Google Fiber which is pretty rock solid, I'm told, in major cities. They could ramp up access to fiber in smaller areas or just buy existing fiber.

Google with an extensive ISP network AND an extensive portfolio of sports broadcasting would be worse than Disney.

No it is not, calling the number they provide for Disney is the right path. Charter can cave and pay more to Disney to have their channels, guess what happens to your bill. Leaving them now to get ESPN from someone else guess what is coming down the road higher cable bill. Charter is standing up now to this so it doesn't get out of control. Call Disney and tell them the company's that paid for commercials is missing on a ton of people through Charter.

Only bad thing right now is that Charter doesn't have any competition. Let's be real when is the last time you had any service or signal issue with Charter...me can't think of one. Dish a lot.
Well guess what happened to my bill BEFORE all this??? So Yeah Spectrum Sucks and will raise your bill Regardless!! Thank God I dumped Spectrum yesterday

VN Store

Back