Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

Lure of London and a persuasive phone call - how Chelsea beat Liverpool to Caicedo and Lavia

“Senior sources at Chelsea are under the impression the salary was not a decisive factor behind Caicedo’s choice and that he would have earned around the same, if not more, at Liverpool even if the Merseyside club would not have offered an eight-year contract.”

Salary wasn’t a deciding factor. Contract length could still be one though.
I think playing with other younger stars for years potentially is a huge factor as well for recruitment there right now.

I think playing with other younger stars for years potentially is a huge factor as well for recruitment there right now.

For sure. Article also talked about that as far as playing with Enzo and they showed Caicedo data about how well they would compliment each other in the midfield. Also did the same with showing him how he fit with a midfield 3 including Lavia at later stages too. I’m a fan of Mac Allister, but as far as a midfield pair I’m choosing Enzo too. Chelsea bias aside.

Sounds like Saudi is about to launch a large effort to get Salah. 65M base a year salary with a lot more earning potential on top. Rivals Ronaldo’s deal apparently when everything's included.

Liverpool don’t want to sell though and Salah has said previously he is still committed so I don’t see it happening. Salah would have to change his mind and force the move, and I just don’t see him burning his relationship with the club/fans.

Next year though? My guess is he will be good as gone. I think this will be his last year in Liverpool.

Sounds like Saudi is about to launch a large effort to get Salah. 65M base a year salary with a lot more earning potential on top. Rivals Ronaldo’s deal apparently when everything's included.

Liverpool don’t want to sell though and Salah has said previously he is still committed so I don’t see it happening. Salah would have to change his mind and force the move, and I just don’t see him burning his relationship with the club/fans.

Next year though? My guess is he will be good as gone. I think this will be his last year in Liverpool.

He's under contact through the end of '25 so this definitely puts Liverpool at an interesting crossroads.

On one hand, he is desperately needed this season to make a CL push and based on who is on the market, is irreplaceable. On the other, if he leaves for free after next year, you're out a premier player with nothing to show for it.

Will be an interesting few days for sure.

He's under contact through the end of '25 so this definitely puts Liverpool at an interesting crossroads.

On one hand, he is desperately needed this season to make a CL push and based on who is on the market, is irreplaceable. On the other, if he leaves for free after next year, you're out a premier player with nothing to show for it.

Will be an interesting few days for sure.
That’s a good point about next summer. Even if they do get CL football again you have to feel like it’s sell or he possibly leaves for free. He already almost left before the extension. With no emotional attachment, if I’m Liverpool I sell next season no matter what.

I wonder what the fee would be this summer vs next though? 2 years left on a deal gets you a higher fee than 1 year left. For all of the money Saudi is throwing around, they have mostly done their spending on salaries, not player fees. Some of that is just because of who they have targeted though.

Basically saying, I didn’t want to make the ref look bad by sending him to the monitor to show him his mistake. And we wonder why VAR isn’t working.

Reactions: MAD
Most all of the big squads have good fixtures this weekend. Hoping for some high scoring matches

Basically saying, I didn’t want to make the ref look bad by sending him to the monitor to show him his mistake. And we wonder why VAR isn’t working.

I’m glad it says ‘former’ referee. We need a couple more around the sport to also have that title.

Good way to start the weekend! Caicedo was solid. Can’t wait til Lavia is up to fitness and can sit back at the base of the midfield 3 and let Caicedo be more box to box.

Reactions: C/O
Maddison was seen in a boot and on crutches and he missed a day of training this week.

Me: the smart thing to do is to bench him in FPL

The Universe: let’s have Maddison score his first PL goal this weekend

Maddison was seen in a boot and on crutches and he missed a day of training this week.

Me: the smart thing to do is to bench him in FPL

The Universe: let’s have Maddison score his first PL goal this weekend

I kept Son for the same reason. Welp.

Reactions: C/O

VN Store

Back