What Was The First, Last, Best, Worst, Loudest Concert You Attended?

The 75 Nicks/Buckingham version. Was their last tour as far as I know.

And believe it or the Jim Ed Brown show was great. I was a kid and we only had country stations growing up so i knew all the songs. I think the first FM Rock station in our area (we could receive reliably) was in '76 or '77 in Valdosta or Bainbridge. We were just on the outer edge of GULF104 in Tallahassee and could not get The Great Ape (AM) out of Jacksonville until we got south of Valdosta.

So one listened to C&W or sang harmony with the tractor.
extra like for your reply

First Concert: Bob Seger
Last Concert: Govt Mule
Best Concert: Between John Prine at Alumni Gym in 79 or so and the Stones in 2003.
Worst Concert: Aerosmith. Eric Clapton was as bad but Muddy Waters opened and was good.
Loudest Concert: Metallica or BOC. BOC's light show was fantastic.
Seen the Most: Stones, Santana, ZZ Top
Most Surprising: Tideschi Trucks Band or Heaven and Hell, expected good but got excellent.
Next Concert: ??
Wish I Could Have Seen: Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath when Bill Ward was right, Jeff Beck, JJ Cale, AC/DC, and more.

got to hear prine in very small club in early 70s

First: Some touring rock band in 1973 during school at Fulton High. I think they were sponsored by YoungLife. For $5 you got to miss the last half of school
Last: Eagles Hotel CA tour at TBA
Best: Elton John Farewell in Nashville -I’m shocked it’s the one but all those songs brought back so many memories
Worst: Chicago in Knoxville late 70s, because of the girl I was with
Loudest: Cheap Trick/ Joan Jet & Blackhearts at 1982 worlds Fair, we were less than 40’ from the largest speakers I’ve ever seen. My wife’s hair would move with the bass

dont think young life ever sponsored on a concert while i was in HS

Reactions: MAD
First Concert: Petra at the World's fair site. Van Halen was my first big time band.
Last Concert: Tyler Childers
Best Concert: Rage/Soundgarden/Metallica? Sepultura/AIC/Ozzy? Eagles? Tori Amos?
Worst Concert: Jason Aldean w FLGA line
Loudest Concert: Hellyeah w A7x
Seen the Most: DMB or Scott Miller
Most Surprising: Ben Folds, Holly Williams,John Mayer
Next Concert: GNR or TOOL (nor sure of dates this fall)
Wish I Could Have Seen: Pantera

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD and ArdentVol
Wish I could've seen (Cont.):
Elton, MJ, Queen, ELO, Boston, and Alice Cooper.

ETA: BTO

IYO, which band, that you've seen, had the best theatrics, lights, and over all presence?

Mine was Van Halen (1980). Even though I can't recall most of that night :cool:.

Bob Seger (1983 Mid-South in Memphis) had great presence.

Last edited:

IYO, which band, that you've seen, had the best theatrics, lights, and over all presence?

Mine was Van Halen (1980). Even though I can't recall most of that night :cool:.

Pink Floyd in Legion Field and the smoke from the rows in front of us was thick

Last edited:

ETA: BTO

Bowie's stage presence in STL was impressive, even more than Paul's

Reactions: MAD
In 1985, Shreveport, La, my wife got to see Van Hagar with BTO as the warm up. She said BTO rocked Van Hagar off the stage and that Van Hagar was the most disappointing concert she had ever witnessed. When Van Hagar finished, the crowd was chanting BTO! BTO! BTO! and, sure enough, BTO retook the stage.

In 1985, Shreveport, La, my wife got to see Van Hagar with BTO as the warm up. She said BTO rocked Van Hagar off the stage and that Van Hagar was the most disappointing concert she had ever witnessed. When Van Hagar finished, the crowd was chanting BTO! BTO! BTO! and, sure enough, BTO retook the stage.

my continued presence in those cheap seats was winning a call-in WKGN-AM contest while I was at Tyson. Headliners possibly were Jackie Wilson or Clyde McPhatter

First Concert: Jackson 5 in Neyland Stadium
Last Concert: Kid Rock
Best Concert: That's tough...maybe ELO
Worst Concert: Dave Matthews Band. Odd set that night
Loudest Concert: Van Halen
Seen the Most: Billy Joel & Jimmy Buffett
Most Surprising: Joe Cocker
Next Concert: Dead & Company next week in NYC
Wish I Could Have Seen: Genesis

First Concert: Heart
Last Concert: Roger Waters
Best Concert: Def Leppard (late 80's)
Worst Concert: Pat Benetar ( obvious piped in music and half ass effort)
Loudest Concert: Motley Crue( mid 80s)
Seen the Most: Huey Lewis/Roger Waters
Most Surprising: bare naked ladies
Next Concert: I'm done . too expensive
Wish I Could Have Seen: Rush [/QUOTE]

Also Brit Floyd is great if you love Pink Floyd

Was ELO's light show everything I've heard it was?

Reactions: Boca Vol and MAD
First Concert: Weird Al Yankovic, back when I was in high school years ago

Last Concert: Can't remember...maybe St. Paul and the Broken Bones? It has been a while.

Best Concert: Zappa Plays Zappa, at the Tabernacle in Atlanta, during the first tour. Not only was the band and music on point, I got to enjoy it with my father (who attended many a Frank Zappa show in his heyday, and introduced me to that and many other great bands)

Worst Concert: N/A, although Steve Earle was disappointing (not for the music, which was solid, but for the political rants peppered between songs and sets)

Loudest Concert: Shovels and Rope (acoustics were less than ideal)

Seen the Most: Tie between Yonder Mountain String Band and Dweezil Zappa

Most Surprising: Railroad Earth - saw them as a beachfront festival, had no clue who they were, and they ended up being the best act of the day

Next Concert: No idea...

Wish I Could Have Seen: Jethro Tull, and preferably one of the "Thick as a Brick" shows in particular

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
Great Thread.

First concert: Lynyrd Skynyrd and Hank Williams Jr.
Last Concert: Travis Tritt.
Best Concert: This is a tough one. Heart, 3 Doors Down, and Black Sabbath were all amazing.
Loudest Concert: ACDC. It was incredibly loud. Had to shove some toilet paper in my ears to get through it. Second is Ted Nuget.
Seen the Most: Skynyrd. Saw them 5 times. The first time I saw them they had most of the original members including Ed King.
Most surprising: Black Sabbath. The first year Ozzy reunited with them. They were flawless and Ozzy sounded amazing.
Next concert: Well, I was wanting to see Tool, but couldn't get tickets in time.
Wish I could have seen: The Who. Almost went to see them years ago in Atlanta, but didn't for some reason.

I'll add one:

Most disappointing performance: The Black Crows. At least they were when I saw them. Second would be Jamie Johnson, but I think he had a bad cold, and just played slow tear in your beer stuff.

First- Motley Crue
Last- Bob Segar
Best - Bob Segar or Lynyrd Skynyrd
Worst- Diamond Dave
Loudest- Lynyrd Skynyrd
Seen the most- which ever one was the longest
Most surprising- Guns and Roses, opened for Motley Crue
Wished I could have seen- Chris Cornell or Prince

First Concert: Sawyer Brown or Trace Adkins - a kid so hard to remember. Alan Jackson at Bristol was the first I remember well.
Last Concert: Zac Brown Band at House of Blues Houston
Best Concert: Chris Stapleton at Keybank Pavilion
Worst Concert: not sure
Loudest Concert: I need to see more rock bands
Seen the Most: Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors
Most Surprising: Transiberian Orchestra
Next Concert: really want to see Foo Fighters
Wish I Could Have Seen: Led Zeppelin (way before my time), Santana in New Orleans but couldn't get across town in time

I saw Genesis in Pittsburgh on their farewell tour. Collins was frail, but still put on a good show.

First Concert: Ike & Tina Turner Review / Sly & The Family Stone 1968. I was with friends at a nearby lake-front park. We didn't have tickets, but stood at an advantageous section of the fence (outdoor concert). The sound was good, and we could see the stage from a distance. Sly did not appear. Rumors were that he was too effed up, or he was upset about something. The Family Stone did a spirited jam before Ike & Tina took the stage. We did not stick around for their entire set. The first concert for which I actually bought a ticket was Donovan 1969. I sat next to Cathy Corbett, who was a year older than me. She let me fondle her breast in the dark.
Latest Concert: A funky dance/party band performing at the BRAG Spring Ride. They had horns. :cool:
Best Concert: 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival. That was a life experience.
Worst Concert: Ted Nugent 1974
Loudest Concert: Ted Nugent 1974. Much too loud for the venue. Anyone staying for the entire show had life-long damaged hearing. I walked out and listened for a few minutes from the corridors outside the hall.
Seen the Most: The Rolling Stones
Most Surprising: Joan Armatrading 1983. The lights came up on her playing her first song. The audience was enrapt. When the song finished, the audience erupted with enormous energy. Joan was visibly taken aback, but the vibe was so positive and loving that she put on an inspired show. Everyone there knew that they'd been part of something special - Joan, the band, the staff, the audience, security...
Next Concert: I do not know...
Wish I Could Have Seen: John Coltrane

First Concert: Ike & Tina Turner Review / Sly & The Family Stone 1968. I was with friends at a nearby lake-front park. We didn't have tickets, but stood at an advantageous section of the fence (outdoor concert). The sound was good, and we could see the stage from a distance. Sly did not appear. Rumors were that he was too effed up, or he was upset about something. The Family Stone did a spirited jam before Ike & Tina took the stage. We did not stick around for their entire set. The first concert for which I actually bought a ticket was Donovan 1969. I sat next to Cathy Corbett, who was a year older than me. She let me fondle her breast in the dark.
Latest Concert: A funky dance/party band performing at the BRAG Spring Ride. They had horns. :cool:
Best Concert: 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival. That was a life experience.
Worst Concert: Ted Nugent 1974
Loudest Concert: Ted Nugent 1974. Much too loud for the venue. Anyone staying for the entire show had life-long damaged hearing. I walked out and listened for a few minutes from the corridors outside the hall.
Seen the Most: The Rolling Stones
Most Surprising: Joan Armatrading 1983. The lights came up on her playing her first song. The audience was enrapt. When the song finished, the audience erupted with enormous energy. Joan was visibly taken aback, but the vibe was so positive and loving that she put on an inspired show. Everyone there knew that they'd been part of something special - Joan, the band, the staff, the audience, security...
Next Concert: I do not know...
Wish I Could Have Seen: John Coltrane

I thought your first concert was Mozart in Vienna.

VN Store

Back