Ran into Keller Chryst

I still don’t understand why Fulmer thought it was a good idea for a die hard Bammer like Pruitt, to run this program.

That was crazy to me too. And when our coach stayed on to help our most bitter rival win the playoff, as an assistant no less, ... any confidence I had was dissolved, and I started at ground zero. Rarely got higher than that for the entire torturous 3 seasons.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Just wanted to say that he was still repping the orange and white. We had the same flight to Memphis from Denver and he couldn’t have been a nicer dude to talk to. He said he wanted to come back to Knoxville to coach, but Hype had his staff in place. I believe he told me he's been with the coaching staff at or in Wisconsin the last couple of years, but he is interviewing around. Sounds like he has a lot of love for Knoxville and wants to get back there. Random thread but I thought it was worth mentioning. He looked to still be in playing shape too. I was actually wondering if he was coming down to play for the Showboats, but apparently his fiance' is a Memphian.
If I remember correctly, he was a big guy, experienced, and had a decent arm, but I think he was coming off of a knee injury and was limited in his mobility (hopefully someone corrects me if wrong). At the time our OL was pretty bad and he probably would have taken a beating if he had played very much.

Just wanted to say that he was still repping the orange and white. We had the same flight to Memphis from Denver and he couldn’t have been a nicer dude to talk to. He said he wanted to come back to Knoxville to coach, but Hype had his staff in place. I believe he told me he's been with the coaching staff at or in Wisconsin the last couple of years, but he is interviewing around. Sounds like he has a lot of love for Knoxville and wants to get back there. Random thread but I thought it was worth mentioning. He looked to still be in playing shape too. I was actually wondering if he was coming down to play for the Showboats, but apparently his fiance' is a Memphian.
How on earth did you recognize him?

While I don't think Phil was the greatest, he's the only one who was able to bring us a championship. He deserves respect for the rest of his time.
Some would argue, including me, that Fulmer didn't "bring" TN a Natty but David Cutcliffe & John Chavis did. After Cut left, Fulmer floundered. There is a reason NO OTHER COLLEGE scooped him up when he was canned....think about it.

Reactions: VolDave53
Some would argue, including me, that Fulmer didn't "bring" TN a Natty but David Cutcliffe & John Chavis did. After Cut left, Fulmer floundered. There is a reason NO OTHER COLLEGE scooped him up when he was canned....think about it.
You can make that argument about every head coach. It wasn’t the head coach it was the assistants. It wasn’t the head coach it was the players. If it was just Cut why didn’t he win big at Duke? I know the answer just making a point.

So, do we have a HEAD COACH who actually brought us a Natty, or not?

While I don't think Phil was the greatest, he's the only one who was able to bring us a championship. He deserves respect for the rest of his time.
I honestly think a lot of it was because of Cutcliffe..We started slowly going downhill after he left and started to perk up again when he came back and then the Clawfense found its way to K-Town and the rest is history.

You can make that argument about every head coach. It wasn’t the head coach it was the assistants. It wasn’t the head coach it was the players. If it was just Cut why didn’t he win big at Duke? I know the answer just making a point.
He actually did quite well at Duke...I mean there was no way he was going to set the world on fire there but he had them winning and in bowl games...He went to 6 bowl games and won 3 of them...Duke is not exactly a juggernaught and top recruits are not going there to play football but Cut one year went 10-4 with them and 9-4 the following year and produced some good NFL talent along the way.

So, do we have a HEAD COACH who actually brought us a Natty, or not?
Fulmer did not bring the Natty....he was part of it. Without Cut, Fulmer was average at best. Tell us, Mr. Wizard, why ZERO college came after Phil when he was schittt-canned. Class dismissed.

Fulmer did not bring the Natty....he was part of it. Without Cut, Fulmer was average at best. Tell us, Mr. Wizard, why ZERO college came after Phil when he was schittt-canned. Class dismissed.

I was just wondering if we had a Head coach with a Natty, or just other schools do?

Honestly, it took me a minute to place the name.

Looking back at it, dude came here at a very weird time to say the least. All things considered , kind of surprised that he did not give JG more of a run for his money.

That O-line was so bad; I think it was very difficult to evaluate the QBs given that. But JG just seemed to do better behind that crap O-line. With a good O-line, maybe Chryst would've looked a lot better.

Thanks for sharing the story, OP. In hindsight, Keller should have been the guy. I have way more trust in Heup than any of our recent coaches, but I hope in a few years we don't say the same thing about Gaston Moore and say that in hindsight, he should have been the guy. Moore looked amazing in the spring game and I think he could easily lead us to 10 or 11 wins! Guy is a gamer. Another example would be BJ Coleman.

Thanks for sharing the story, OP. In hindsight, Keller should have been the guy. I have way more trust in Heup than any of our recent coaches, but I hope in a few years we don't say the same thing about Gaston Moore and say that in hindsight, he should have been the guy. Moore looked amazing in the spring game and I think he could easily lead us to 10 or 11 wins! Guy is a gamer. Another example would be BJ Coleman.

I think you're putting wayyyyyy too much stock in Spring Game performances.

Remember after the 2021 Spring Game, Jack Jancek was our stud receiver everyone was hype about. He lit it up that game, then never saw the field.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back