Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
prosecutors want social media wielding housewives, or retired folk, defense wants degreed, or whomever can see gray. The court of public opinion has too much say. Reason for gag orders.

However question one in a police investigation SHOULD be were you at the scene? who is your alibi?

the burden should be to prove he was not there. if you can answer that question beyond the shadow.... what else is there? if he's not he's not, if he is he is.

Not enough to file charges is what is coming back on this. That doesn't mean all that much in terms of guilt or innocence, imo. Just that the prosecutors didn't think they had enough to win the case. He said/she said and I bet she was too intoxicated to be credible.

At any rate.... This is exactly why other nations don't publish the names of the accused or victims. Only names of the convicted are ever published. I think we should go to something similar. If someone's at large and considered a risk then obviously their name can be published but I've yet to see a good reason beyond apprehension to publish the name or names of the accused or their accusers.

Some dickheads need to get their face turned around...that is why the world is f'd up...everybody excuses the douchebags and there is no accountability at all...from anywhere..and thus it multiplies..
So you’re out here whipping people up on the regular then? This I gotta see.

His 147 career ERA+ is third all-time among starters (not including active pitchers like Clayton Kershaw and Jacob deGrom who have a lot of career left) behind only Pedro Martínez and Grove — but Martínez pitched fewer than half the innings Johnson pitched, and Grove’s raw ERA is almost a full run higher than Johnson’s 2.17.

His 164.5 Baseball-Reference Wins Above Replacement rank second in baseball history behind only Babe Ruth.

No, it’s true, you can’t really compare the pitching Johnson did during Deadball — or even in those early years after Deadball — with baseball 100 years later. Different games. Different times. We have nothing at all to compare with Johnson’s pitching from 1910-1915, when he went 174-80 with a 1.51 ERA, 1,494 strikeouts, 390 walks and 24 homers allowed in more than 2,100 innings.

In 1916, Johnson pitched 369 innings and gave up zero home runs. Zero.

There’s no conversion chart that can tell us how Johnson’s stuff would hold up today. All we have are the stories and the quotes — and from those, you can understand the awe that people felt when seeing how impossibly hard Johnson threw.

“When you see the arm starting forward,” Birdie McCree said, “swing.”

“The thing just hissed with danger,” Ty Cobb said.

“He’s got a gun concealed about his person,” Ring Lardner wrote, “and he shoots them.”

“On a cloudy day, you couldn’t see the ball half the time it came in so fast,” Jimmy Austin said.

“Most of the time you couldn’t see the ball,” Fred Snodgrass said.

“You batted against him for the first time,” Dutch Ruether said, “and that easy sweep of the arm, with a bullet coming out of it, made you blink and wonder if your eyes were failing.”

“I’ve thought about it a lot and I’ve come to one inescapable conclusion,” George Sisler said. “If Ol’ Walter Johnson had a curve, no one ever would have gotten a hit off him. Every game he pitched would have been a no-hitter.”

If Hyatt would have been drafted by a small market team he wouldn't be answering these questions so much. New York media are relentless by nature, but can also appear relentless simply because there are so many of them. So when they ask the same questions 100x, part of it is calculated, waiting on the quote on angle they want, but it's also that they have so many people covering that franchise that don't know they're all asking the same stupid question.

The best thing that Hyatt could do is make a DB look foolish on one or a few good routes and that huge fanbase will get behind him. Until then, I hope the same questions and criticisms over and over can motivate him.
So in summary they are a holes.

Some dickheads need to get their face turned around...that is why the world is f'd up...everybody excuses the douchebags and there is no accountability at all...from anywhere..and thus it multiplies..
Eh... I think that's a little extreme.

I vote we just change the rule against allowing some dickhead to throw a ball at someone because they got their feelings hurt. If that don't work, maybe we resort to physical violence against the dickheads that throw things at people because they got their feelings hurt.

Reactions: Devo182
They went to Cleveland and Chicago, those reporters don't even bother showing up for media days anymore...

New York is just a terrible sports town for all teams there and the local media is honestly worst on their own guys than the rival or national media...it's kind of weird.

Coming from Knoxville, he should be well prepared for stupid media.

My dad has vertigo. What do they do for your wife?

She is adjusted at the atlas, the cervical spine area. She also lays on a small cushioned neck device to help the curvature for 15 minutes each evening. Her vertigo is essentially gone. She battled it for 40+ years.

Her Eustachian tube was pinched due to the bad alignment in the area. This led to fluid build up of the inner ear on that side.

She is adjusted at the atlas, the cervical spine area. She also lays on a small cushioned neck device to help the curvature for 15 minutes each evening. Her vertigo is essentially gone. She battled it for 40+ years.

Her Eustachian tube was pinched due to the bad alignment in the area. This led to fluid build up of the inner ear on that side.

We love ours!

Reactions: Vols4us
So in summary they are a holes.

Nah, most of the time they're asking for their own media (whoever they work for/whatever article or piece they're working on) but it's true when the media is as large as NYC's you're going to get repetitive boring, and dumb questions. Hell, ours is tiny in comparison and we get plenty of repetitive and dumb questions.

The a-holes are the ones that put the media on to such a stupid question in the first place. These reporters didn't come up with that knock on their own. They came up with that question after reading or hearing someone more involved in football (be it a scout or a coach or other professional) say something like "Tennessee and Hyatt don't run route trees." IOW, find the experts repeating that noise, most likely for their own benefit, and you'll find the a-holes. The reporters are just asking after it and probably don't know enough about route trees to even know what they're asking but that's ok for them because they're just looking for an answer to write down to make copy.

Have reporters questioned Tillman and Wright about whether Heupel’s system led to their success ?

I’m listening…
I’m a vol fan so I could be biased, but I think they don’t get the questions because if you watch them play, they look like they would be successful anywhere. Tillman was mossing guys and dragging DBs down the field, and he has prototypical size. Wright stonewalled everybody and is huge.

On tape, Hyatt looks like a burner who is constantly running wide open dude to scheme. I don’t recall him jumping over guys or making crazy contested catches like Tillman. I think it’s fair to wonder if he would have put up those same numbers in a scheme that didn’t have him wide open all the time.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Eh... I think that's a little extreme.

I vote we just change the rule against allowing some dickhead to throw a ball at someone because they got their feelings hurt. If that don't work, maybe we resort to physical violence against the dickheads that throw things at people because they got their feelings hurt.
Here's the thing. The next time you see a batter charge the mound or throw a bat because a pitcher obnoxiously celebrates a strikeout will be the first. And plenty of pitchers do it...screams, flexes, glares at the batter, etc. But the batters do nothing because the batter realizes that if they don't want the pitcher to celebrate in such a manner, then they need to be better as a batter. Any pitcher that can't handle a batter's celebration is a panty-waste whiner.

And technically an underage person can't consent neither can an intoxicated person. It's rape by definition.
True….. that’s a difficult situation with everyone drinking and someone you assume is old enough at the party…

A few years back….. there was a story of an 18 yr old football player that had a scholarship at a smaller school…. He received a BJ from an underage girl that came to the party and was sent away for 10 yrs… A situation like that could happen to anyone.

Reactions: VolNash17
Late to the Hyatt discussion. Wasn’t devante smith used same way as Jalin? If I remember correctly most of devantes catches were go, slant, come backs. He was praised. Tyreek hill has made a living off of just being fast. Who cares about a route tree? Those are things athletes can learn.

Not enough to file charges is what is coming back on this. That doesn't mean all that much in terms of guilt or innocence, imo. Just that the prosecutors didn't think they had enough to win the case. He said/she said and I bet she was too intoxicated to be credible.

At any rate.... This is exactly why other nations don't publish the names of the accused or victims. Only names of the convicted are ever published. I think we should go to something similar. If someone's at large and considered a risk then obviously their name can be published but I've yet to see a good reason beyond apprehension to publish the name or names of the accused or their accusers.
They had enough video evidence to show that player was gone around midnight well before the rape had supposedly happened…. They also had video evidence showing having consensual sex with others at the party…. No evidence showing that she was forced into anything… it still could have happened but not likely.

True….. that’s a difficult situation with everyone drinking and someone you assume is old enough at the party…

A few years back….. there was a story of an 18 yr old football player that had a scholarship at a smaller school…. He received a BJ from an underage girl that came to the party and was sent away for 10 yrs… A situation like that could happen to anyone.

We probably need to extend Romeo&Juliet laws to cover scenarios like that *but* no politician is going to want to be seen as supporting casual sex involving minors. With the whole groomer tag a thing people are accusing each other of now - the internet would go wild.

That said, a 10 year sentence screams 'mandatory minimum' to me which is something I think we need to abolish. It sounds good in theory but often it's just mindless stupidity. Judges are there to be judges and mandatory sentences nullify judicial discretion. If the facts of the case were as simple as you've described a much saner sentence might've been imposed -- maybe even judicial diversion depending on what happened and what the victim had to say.

Reactions: volbeast33
His 147 career ERA+ is third all-time among starters (not including active pitchers like Clayton Kershaw and Jacob deGrom who have a lot of career left) behind only Pedro Martínez and Grove — but Martínez pitched fewer than half the innings Johnson pitched, and Grove’s raw ERA is almost a full run higher than Johnson’s 2.17.

His 164.5 Baseball-Reference Wins Above Replacement rank second in baseball history behind only Babe Ruth.

No, it’s true, you can’t really compare the pitching Johnson did during Deadball — or even in those early years after Deadball — with baseball 100 years later. Different games. Different times. We have nothing at all to compare with Johnson’s pitching from 1910-1915, when he went 174-80 with a 1.51 ERA, 1,494 strikeouts, 390 walks and 24 homers allowed in more than 2,100 innings.

In 1916, Johnson pitched 369 innings and gave up zero home runs. Zero.

There’s no conversion chart that can tell us how Johnson’s stuff would hold up today. All we have are the stories and the quotes — and from those, you can understand the awe that people felt when seeing how impossibly hard Johnson threw.

“When you see the arm starting forward,” Birdie McCree said, “swing.”

“The thing just hissed with danger,” Ty Cobb said.

“He’s got a gun concealed about his person,” Ring Lardner wrote, “and he shoots them.”

“On a cloudy day, you couldn’t see the ball half the time it came in so fast,” Jimmy Austin said.

“Most of the time you couldn’t see the ball,” Fred Snodgrass said.

“You batted against him for the first time,” Dutch Ruether said, “and that easy sweep of the arm, with a bullet coming out of it, made you blink and wonder if your eyes were failing.”

“I’ve thought about it a lot and I’ve come to one inescapable conclusion,” George Sisler said. “If Ol’ Walter Johnson had a curve, no one ever would have gotten a hit off him. Every game he pitched would have been a no-hitter.”
I wish we knew how fast he threw.

Reactions: drvenner
They had enough video evidence to show that player was gone around midnight well before the rape had supposedly happened…. They also had video evidence showing having consensual sex with others at the party…. No evidence showing that she was forced into anything… it still could have happened but not likely.

You can't have consensual sex as an intoxicated person. You also can't have consensual sex as a minor.

Here's the thing. The next time you see a batter charge the mound or throw a bat because a pitcher obnoxiously celebrates a strikeout will be the first. And plenty of pitchers do it...screams, flexes, glares at the batter, etc. But the batters do nothing because the batter realizes that if they don't want the pitcher to celebrate in such a manner, then they need to be better as a batter. Any pitcher that can't handle a batter's celebration is a panty-waste whiner.
You make good points.

Reactions: jave36
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back