Tennessee Transfer Portal Targets

Powell was much better this year at WSU. He's a solid roleplayer at the power 5 level.

I saw him some and am thrilled he found a place where it clicked for him. I still am not sure he was a good fit here, I stand by that, but I am truly glad when players go elsewhere and do well, unless it's an SEC team of course.

Remember guys, until Edwards commits and signs and shows up to class somewhere else he still has a spot here!
Actually, I believe you lose your scholly when you enter the portal. It's up to the staff if they'll give it back. They don't have to allow you to return if you change your mind.

Reactions: VOLED
Actually, I believe you lose your scholly when you enter the portal. It's up to the staff if they'll give it back. They don't have to allow you to return if you change your mind.
I have not seen anything that says, "You must forfeit/lose your scholarship when you enter the portal." I do think that may be the norm, but I am not sure that is a fact in all cases. I could be wrong.
Returning to your previous school may be an option, but it is a difficult path to manage when your teammates think you bailed on them for the potential of greener pastures on the other side of the fence that never materialized.
I am guessing that BJ might be allowed to return, but as a walk-on. Frankly, that would surprise me, but that stuff happens, don't ya know.
@Stoerner Fumbles ... what are your thoughts ... or if you would rather keep them to yourself ... you are cool with me.

I have not seen anything that says, "You must forfeit/lose your scholarship when you enter the portal." I do think that may be the norm, but I am not sure that is a fact in all cases. I could be wrong.
Returning to your previous school may be an option, but it is a difficult path to manage when your teammates think you bailed on them for the potential of greener pastures on the other side of the fence that never materialized.
I am guessing that BJ might be allowed to return, but as a walk-on.
@Stoerner Fumbles ... what are your thoughts ... or if you would rather keep them to yourself ... you are cool with me.
I would think entering the portal means you have surrendered your guaranteed scholarship because a coach has to be able to fill that spot in case the player doesn't change their mind. Otherwise, a player in the portal could hold a program hostage.

I would think entering the portal means you have surrendered your guaranteed scholarship because a coach has to be able to fill that spot in case the player doesn't change their mind. Otherwise, a player in the portal could hold a program hostage.
"Once a player enters the transfer portal, the program the athlete currently attends is no longer required to honor the player’s scholarship. Even if a player enters the transfer portal and later withdraws their name, their current program is no longer obligated to honor their scholarship." (bold is mine, sac) - What is the NCAA transfer portal? Everything you need to know
That does not equate to 'forfeit' or 'lose' .... although for almost all practical purposes it is probably true. Likely the final call is with the coach or perhaps the AD.
Not sure if Tennessee coaches have a standing policy on that ... would be interesting to know. It would likely depend on the kid and the circumstances for me, that is coming from my Christian mindset.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
You were right to begin with. It's up to the coaches if a player gets to return or not. Additionally, a scholarship isn't "guaranteed" beyond a single year. All our seniors and Edwards are done here unless there's another opening AND this staff wants them back. I won't speak for the staff, but this fan is ready to turn the page on ON, Plavi, JJJ, and Phillips. We might crash and burn next season, but I'm still ready for change.

You were right to begin with. It's up to the coaches if a player gets to return or not. Additionally, a scholarship isn't "guaranteed" beyond a single year. All our seniors and Edwards are done here unless there's another opening AND this staff wants them back. I won't speak for the staff, but this fan is ready to turn the page on ON, Plavi, JJJ, and Phillips. We might crash and burn next season, but I'm still ready for change.
I agree 100%.

Attachments

• 1E0EEAA2-D300-4E19-8F2F-2964E31B6EED.gif
    1E0EEAA2-D300-4E19-8F2F-2964E31B6EED.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
Saw this and thought it was interesting. Talking about Andrew Taylor.

Marshall had 3 studs last year.

Taylor - 20ppg, 4apg, 4rpg 2spg

Kinsey - 22ppg, 5rpg, 5apg, 1.7spg

Micah - 7.5ppg, 9.8rpg, 1.3apg, 2.3bpg, 1.7spg

They had some dudes on that team.

IMG_0797.jpeg

Last edited:
Saw this and thought it was interesting. Talking about Andrew Taylor.

Marshall had 3 studs last year.

Taylor - 20ppg, 4apg, 4rpg 2spg

Kinsey - 22ppg, 5rpg, 5apg, 1.7spg

Micah - 7.5ppg, 9.8rpg, 1.3apg, 2.3bpg, 1.7spg

They had some dudes on that team.

View attachment 550636
I live very close to Huntington and am quite familiar with Taylor, also being from Kentucky (he went to Corbin HS in Corbin, KY).

He's been an impact player at Marshall from day 1. Career 14.6 ppg, 5 rpg, and 4.1 apg. Shoots it well from deep and is a good defender on the ball at the CUSA level (now Sun Belt).

He would remind many of a right-handed Vescovi. He's not as dominant-hand reliant as Santi, and has a MUCH quicker release on his shot. He also drives the ball much more often than SV, but they shoot at a similar rate from outside and have a lot of the same qualities as all-around players with very similar size. Both are better off the ball and coming off of pick-and-roll situations to use their crafty passing or get up an uncontested shot. Taylor is probably quicker and a better ball-handler.

My guess is that he may have been a contingency plan to Vescovi not coming back if the rumor is true that we offered him some amount of NIL money. When Santi decided to return, Taylor became a redundant player who doesn't have that level of familiarity with our system, players, or coaches. Really good player who won't likely average 20 ppg at the SEC level, though at Ole Miss, he could become more of a volume shooter due to a lack of options.

I live very close to Huntington and am quite familiar with Taylor, also being from Kentucky (he went to Corbin HS in Corbin, KY).

He's been an impact player at Marshall from day 1. Career 14.6 ppg, 5 rpg, and 4.1 apg. Shoots it well from deep and is a good defender on the ball at the CUSA level (now Sun Belt).

He would remind many of a right-handed Vescovi. He's not as dominant-hand reliant as Santi, and has a MUCH quicker release on his shot. He also drives the ball much more often than SV, but they shoot at a similar rate from outside and have a lot of the same qualities as all-around players with very similar size. Both are better off the ball and coming off of pick-and-roll situations to use their crafty passing or get up an uncontested shot. Taylor is probably quicker and a better ball-handler.

My guess is that he may have been a contingency plan to Vescovi not coming back if the rumor is true that we offered him some amount of NIL money. When Santi decided to return, Taylor became a redundant player who doesn't have that level of familiarity with our system, players, or coaches. Really good player who won't likely average 20 ppg at the SEC level, though at Ole Miss, he could become more of a volume shooter due to a lack of options.

Well said on his skills, and pretty accurate on what happened.

Ole Miss kind of getting scary.

I’m happy with Covi, just thought it was interesting.

Reactions: cncchris33
Ole Miss kind of getting scary.

I’m happy with Covi, just thought it was interesting.
The interesting thing about Ole Miss is that he'd most likely be asked to play PG, which I think would probably hurt him the same way it would Vescovi. It isn't his best position, but he is more equipped for it than SV.

The interesting thing about Ole Miss is that he'd most likely be asked to play PG, which I think would probably hurt him the same way it would Vescovi. It isn't his best position, but he is more equipped for it than SV.

Beard is a certifiable POS, but he is a great coach. He is also a phenomenal strategist at guard play. I think PG will get more drives, more off ball action and more open looks there. If anything was terrible to watch here, it was Santi at PG, looping the baseline or coming off a screen just to get the ball back at the apex of the set. I think with Dillione or Mashack at PG, we’ll push the middle of the floor a lot more, getting looks for 2 and 3, and putbacks for 4 and 5. Hopefully the new pieces make this a better machine.

Beard is a certifiable POS, but he is a great coach. He is also a phenomenal strategist at guard play. I think PG will get more drives, more off ball action and more open looks there. If anything was terrible to watch here, it was Santi at PG, looping the baseline or coming off a screen just to get the ball back at the apex of the set. I think with Dillione or Mashack at PG, we’ll push the middle of the floor a lot more, getting looks for 2 and 3, and putbacks for 4 and 5. Hopefully the new pieces make this a better machine.
Good point. I think that's a reason it's looked so off without Chandler and/or Bone here. We're missing the PG that can penetrate from the top of the key or the post that can command attention off an early seal.

I'm also curious on your thoughts with this. It's something I've noticed just generally watching the team. We run a lot of motion in our sets. However, I notice we often go through too many of the actions at half-speed or without a ton of effort. Is that anything that's ever discussed within the team?

Reactions: cncchris33
Totally agree. Having a PG who can legitimately take the ball to the hole will open up so many other options we've not seen with Santi because of his limitations in that area. ZZ can do it, as well, but then struggles once in the paint because of his obvious size limitations. Chandler was great at it. Bone was great at it. Hopefully Dilione is going to be the next in line if he can continue to develop his PG skills. I'm still not completely sold on Mashack at the point because I want to see a lot more improvement in his ball-handling, but I've not totally abandoned hope, either.

Totally agree. Having a PG who can legitimately take the ball to the hole will open up so many other options we've not seen with Santi because of his limitations in that area. ZZ can do it, as well, but then struggles once in the paint because of his obvious size limitations. Chandler was great at it. Bone was great at it. Hopefully Dilione is going to be the next in line if he can continue to develop his PG skills. I'm still not completely sold on Mashack at the point because I want to see a lot more improvement in his ball-handling, but I've not totally abandoned hope, either.
Agree. Mashack’s control is greatly improved, but when he doesn’t pull up, the outcomes get weird. He gets trapped with no passing option, which started to draw a double most of the time.

Good point. I think that's a reason it's looked so off without Chandler and/or Bone here. We're missing the PG that can penetrate from the top of the key or the post that can command attention off an early seal.

I'm also curious on your thoughts with this. It's something I've noticed just generally watching the team. We run a lot of motion in our sets. However, I notice we often go through too many of the actions at half-speed or without a ton of effort. Is that anything that's ever discussed within the team?

I don’t know what is discussed internally about that. Sometimes— We repeat motion sets, and then vary the motion late in the shot clock. Often the first or second set is slower intentionally. Now and then we lull them and get an open look early, but usually we’re trying to get the shot off a ball screen or drive late.

I don’t know what is discussed internally about that. Sometimes— We repeat motion sets, and then vary the motion late in the shot clock. Often the first or second set is slower intentionally. Now and then we lull them and get an open look early, but usually we’re trying to get the shot off a ball screen or drive late.
Just something that has stood out to me for a few years. Feels like if we got through actions with more intent and speed, we might get a little more to show off of them in terms of getting an open look or drive to the rim.

Something I have noticed while going back through the film, our off ball screens are very weak. They're close to ghost screens. Need our big men to be more solid on their screens.

Reactions: b_gann

VN Store

Back