Who Is The Best Player You Have Seen In Person?

You must be as old as I am. I have seen all of those also. I also saw the Procter to Powell passing combination way back in the 40s. I saw my first game in 1945.
I was overseas in the military, so I never got to see either Manning or Shuler play in person. Peyton is the second goat in the NFL, but I think Cam Newton, Tebow, and Shuler were better college players than was he.

Reactions: EasternVol and MAD
Dec 7, 2003 = Peyton Manning vs a very good Tennessee Titans team.

Peyton completed ten passes to Marvin Harrison....some were just ridiculous timed out routes. Peyton would threw to a spot; Marvin would plant foot, turn, catch ball, and step out of bounds. I didn't see any way to defend it. It was awe-inspiring.

Colts won 29-27

Reactions: LittleVol and MAD
I was overseas in the military, so I never got to see either Manning or Shuler play in person. Peyton is the second goat in the NFL, but I think Cam Newton, Tebow, and Shuler were better college players than was he.

Cam and Tebow maybe. I would take Peyton in college over Heath. However, he was also very good...super athletic.

Reactions: MAD
In person, no particular order

VFLS
Peyton Manning
Reggie White
Jamal Lewis - 97 Freshman season, still wish he could have stayed healthy

Non-VFLs
*Bo Jackson
*Frank Thomas - knocked the cover off the ball every time he got up to bat it seemed
*Derrick Thomas - 52 career sacks is still the record, even though the AA didn't keep stats back then
*Brett Favre - Led Southern Miss to come-from-behind win over Auburn in Jordan Hare

*I saw all 4 of those as a kid while attending games in Auburn and was blown away

Reactions: ENGRVOL and MAD
(For one play), it was defensive lineman Billy Ratliff, who made the most important defensive play in UT history. Arkansas was trying to run out the clock as they held a 24-22 lead at UT. Ratliff pushed back the Arky center and the center backpedaled into Clint Stoerner, the Arky QB, who subsequently stumbled and left the ball on the field as he tried to balance himself upright. Ratliff pounced on the ball and The Volunteers perfect undefeated season was preserved, as the Offense did their job and went ahead and scored. I was in the seats of that miserable weather game and anyone who was there will remember the eerily quietness that fell upon Shields Watkins Field when Stoerner placed the ball on the field. Time stood still, then Billy POUNCED us into a NC.

This sounds fascinating! Why have I never heard of this before?

Vol or former Vol would be Peyton. The games I saw him play at Tennessee were not his best (Washington State and bama in 94 and Ole Miss in 97) but saw him play against Arizona in Denver in 2014 where he threw for 480 yards against a great defense and his command of the game was without equal. Close second would be Chamique Holdsclaw. Saw her in 96 I think and she was just in a class all by herself against other players.

Greatest non vol was Michael Vick as a freshman against Boston college in 99.

It's definitely Cordarrelle Patterson.

He's the most purely talented player to ever play at Tennessee.
Top 5 most talented NFL players in history.

1989 Vanderbilt game...Carl Pickens interception saving the VOLs from losing and winning our part of the SEC title that year.

Honestly, never saw Bo play football when I was in the stands.

I grew up in a baseball family, so saw him plenty in that sport.

I give Bo the nod as when he was at bat, things stood still in a sense. Fans, ushers, etc all seemed to be perfectly focused on what was going on. The lure of seeing something amazing that you had never seen before or would ever see again was just so strong.

Never seen anything like it-before or since

One, this is in the Tennessee FF, so we're talking Tennessee football players, right?
Two, only one person has mentioned Tony Robinson...how is that possible?

Reactions: Memvol44
(For one play), it was defensive lineman Billy Ratliff, who made the most important defensive play in UT history. Arkansas was trying to run out the clock as they held a 24-22 lead at UT. Ratliff pushed back the Arky center and the center backpedaled into Clint Stoerner, the Arky QB, who subsequently stumbled and left the ball on the field as he tried to balance himself upright. Ratliff pounced on the ball and The Volunteers perfect undefeated season was preserved, as the Offense did their job and went ahead and scored. I was in the seats of that miserable weather game and anyone who was there will remember the eerily quietness that fell upon Shields Watkins Field when Stoerner placed the ball on the field. Time stood still, then Billy POUNCED us into a NC.
Wasn't it not Brandon Burlsworth that he pushed back into Stoerner to cause Stoerner to trip and fumble.?

Reactions: GAVol and tennrich1
Vol or former Vol would be Peyton. The games I saw him play at Tennessee were not his best (Washington State and bama in 94 and Ole Miss in 97) but saw him play against Arizona in Denver in 2014 where he threw for 480 yards against a great defense and his command of the game was without equal. Close second would be Chamique Holdsclaw. Saw her in 96 I think and she was just in a class all by herself against other players.

Greatest non vol was Michael Vick as a freshman against Boston college in 99.
Peyton's performance at Legion Field in 95 is my favorite game I've ever been to

Reactions: ENGRVOL and MAD
On the football field, definitely Reggie White.

But the most extraordinary athletic feat I've witnessed live was when I was attending UT and went to a track meet in 1982, I believe. We were down on the track, and the 100 meter race featured Carl Lewis (Houston), Stanley Floyd (Houston), Willie Gault, and Herschel Walker. Lewis won going away, but the remarkable thing was seeing Walker finish in the middle of the pack amidst all of these high level sprinters. Watching a guy built like a linebacker move that fast is the most amazing thing I've ever seen in sports.

Bo Jackson is the best player I’ve ever watched live!

Mine as well. He was an athlete like no other of his day. I saw him play minor league baseball with the then Memphis Chicks double AA team. He hit a routine ground ball straight to the shortstop who fielded it cleanly. He made a routine throw to 1at base for the out.
However we’re not talking about a routine player. He beat that throw rather easily. I’ve not seen anything like it before or since.

VN Store

Back