Harper contact extension

Extending KJH makes me wonder if Danny White just doesn't care if the Lady Vols return to where Pat had us. Maybe mediocre is good enough for him?

It's unrealistic to compare Kelly or any other future Lady Vol coach with Pat Summit. Pat did a lot of her winning when there wasn't much serious competition. Pat put women's basketball on the map by taking it ultra-serious when no one else was, except for Louisiana Tech, Old Dominion, and maybe a couple of others followed by UConn a few years later. No future coach will dominate women's college BB like Pat.

I do wonder sometimes if critics feel that just getting that magic coach will return us to the glory days of repeat championships. Consider that Mulkey with Griner couldn't do it and Staley with Boston couldn't do it. Auriemma hasn't done it since Stewart left (their last NC).

Frese has one NC earned about 20 years ago. Here's a big what if: If Key hadn't gotten sick and the team had quickly jelled and IF they could have made it to the Finals...which was doable against the competition...would that have earned enough "equity" for everyone. What if the LV had completed a 2nd Cinderella Season and won the big prize? Would that have silenced Harper's critics? For how long?

A few years back Kelly Graves had the #1 recruiting class at Oregon. They've all transferred out. Adia Barnes was the hot ticket in the finals a couple years back. Not so hot today. Lisa Bluder was in this years finals...after 23 years. And, lest we forget, Pat Summitt, with 3 NC under her belt, went on a 4-year tear duri g which the Lady Vols lost a total of 10 games...5 losses coming in one year...but no NC during that time.

So what is the standard? Are a string of Final 8's and 4's enough? What about a bunch of 16's with one NC? When will the benefit of the doubt go to the coaches?

It's unrealistic to compare Kelly or any other future Lady Vol coach with Pat Summit. Pat did a lot of her winning when there wasn't much serious competition. Pat put women's basketball on the map by taking it ultra-serious when no one else was, except for Louisiana Tech, Old Dominion, and maybe a couple of others followed by UConn a few years later. No future coach will dominate women's college BB like Pat.
I’d throw Delta State on the short list.

So what is the standard? Are a string of Final 8's and 4's enough? What about a bunch of 16's with one NC? When will the benefit of the doubt go to the coaches?
Personally, my standard is to be competitive against elite competition. Which we are one agonizing step short of, as this season painfully showed. It's not necessarily a won/loss record or E8 or FF finish exactly, just to go into almost every game with a realistic chance to win. We'll know it when we see it and unfortunately so far, we haven't seen it. Hopefully next season.

I do wonder sometimes if critics feel that just getting that magic coach will return us to the glory days of repeat championships. Consider that Mulkey with Griner couldn't do it and Staley with Boston couldn't do it. Auriemma hasn't done it since Stewart left (their last NC).

Frese has one NC earned about 20 years ago. Here's a big what if: If Key hadn't gotten sick and the team had quickly jelled and IF they could have made it to the Finals...which was doable against the competition...would that have earned enough "equity" for everyone. What if the LV had completed a 2nd Cinderella Season and won the big prize? Would that have silenced Harper's critics? For how long?

A few years back Kelly Graves had the #1 recruiting class at Oregon. They've all transferred out. Adia Barnes was the hot ticket in the finals a couple years back. Not so hot today. Lisa Bluder was in this years finals...after 23 years. And, lest we forget, Pat Summitt, with 3 NC under her belt, went on a 4-year tear duri g which the Lady Vols lost a total of 10 games...5 losses coming in one year...but no NC during that time.

“There is the Legions of the Miserable sometimes that are always going to be miserable.” - Johnny Majors

Extending KJH makes me wonder if Danny White just doesn't care if the Lady Vols return to where Pat had us. Maybe mediocre is good enough for him?

Who is this person that’s suppose to be hirable, and come in and take Tennessee back almost immediately?

Staley won’t come here.
Pink flamingo won’t come here.

Personally, my standard is to be competitive against elite competition. Which we are one agonizing step short of, as this season painfully showed. It's not necessarily a won/loss record or E8 or FF finish exactly, just to go into almost every game with a realistic chance to win. We'll know it when we see it and unfortunately so far, we haven't seen it. Hopefully next season.

I can agree with that. I'm frustrated at the h.s. recruiting deficits, too.

History alone won't get recruits, but the first-class facilities and national fan base should be a big factor (the latter, admittedly, is fading each year).

That's the problem, Kellie is not Pat and our fan base needs to understand that and stop comparing her to what Pat did. Compare her to the coaches who are at their stops the same amount of time she has been coaching here or who have been coaching the same amount of time she has altogether.

Reactions: ATLVOLFAN01
AD spend money on the sport that brings in the money football is the cash cow at Tennessee always has been even during Pat Summitts time and all the success she had didn't change it any

We've got a 20K basketball stadium that can bring in very good money when you have very good teams that can fill the place....No, it's not football,
but it's a revenue-generating sport.

That's the problem, Kellie is not Pat and our fan base needs to understand that and stop comparing her to what Pat did. Compare her to the coaches who are at their stops the same amount of time she has been coaching here or who have been coaching the same amount of time she has altogether.
Are those coaches also failing to sign and keep high school talent? My problem with KJH isn't how the team she currently has is doing. It's where is our future going to come from. I don't think you can continue to rely on the portal and striking out with high school recruits.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Did we not beat LSU the second time around? Didn't they win the National title or were they not elite? Didn't we upset # 2 SC when we were ranked 21st in 2021, are they not Elite? I'll take what Kellie has done so far to the years of losing to ETSU, Vandy, Chattanooga, and Alabama

Did we not beat LSU the second time around? Didn't they win the National title or were they not elite? Didn't we upset # 2 SC when we were ranked 21st in 2021, are they not Elite? I'll take what Kellie has done so far to the years of losing to ETSU, Vandy, Chattanooga, and Alabama
I definitely like the Kellie years much more than the Holly years. And yes, those are two elite wins over several years. Paired with a dozen or more elite losses, most of which were not close. The question was what is our expectation. Mine is that the elite wins are not so very few and far between.

LOL, I sure do value that LSU comeback win this year though!

Didn’t go back to 2021. But your satisfied with beating 1 ranked team a year?

We've got a 20K basketball stadium that can bring in very good money when you have very good teams that can fill the place....No, it's not football,
Is football not the cash cow at TENNESSEE?

At this point, most are not using Summitt’s unreachable omnipotence as Harper’s standard and burden to bare. After last year’s portal haul, experts were gushing, describing Tennessee’s roster as “an embarrassment of riches”. Preseason expectations and rankings reflected this. With all the weapons in place, we started a paltry 4-4. Encouraging leads at Ohio St and Stanford would dissolve along with unused timeouts. Excessive turnovers per game continued to be the rule and not the exception into postseason. Offensive organization and shot selection were head-scratchers every game. Defensive footwork, rotation with help, and defensive intensity were seemingly always missing components from the game plan. Most are seeing these things and holding Harper accountable based on her resources and comparing her to her contemporaries —not to Pat Summitt.

At this point, most are not using Summitt’s unreachable omnipotence as Harper’s standard and burden to bare. After last year’s portal haul, experts were gushing, describing Tennessee’s roster as “an embarrassment of riches”. Preseason expectations and rankings reflected this. With all the weapons in place, we started a paltry 4-4. Encouraging leads at Ohio St and Stanford would dissolve along with unused timeouts. Excessive turnovers per game continued to be the rule and not the exception into postseason. Offensive organization and shot selection were head-scratchers every game. Defensive footwork, rotation with help, and defensive intensity were seemingly always missing components from the game plan. Most are seeing these things and holding Harper accountable based on her resources and comparing her to her contemporaries —not to Pat Summitt.
But but….our offense was the best it’s been in years! 😩🙄

Reactions: Putbacks
The NCAA is currently negotiating a standalone TV contract for WCBB…..the revenue stream for this sport is about to take a big leap forward.

VN Store

Back