Countdown to September 2nd vs UVA. (Top 150 Vols wins)

peaygolf

The "Fly" is open.....Let's Go Peay!!!!
Tomorrow begins the Countdown to Kickoff.

This year, I will be counting down MY top 150 victories in UT history. I based my list on several factors, including ranked wins, upsets, program changing wins, last second wins, wins that brought about national spotlight, etc……..

Game day will be Day 0……I’ll have something interesting for that day. As always, I hope you enjoy and let the debate start tomorrow..

Tomorrow begins the Countdown to Kickoff.

This year, I will be counting down MY top 150 victories in UT history. I based my list on several factors, including ranked wins, upsets, program changing wins, last second wins, wins that brought about national spotlight, etc……..

Game day will be Day 0……I’ll have something interesting for that day. As always, I hope you enjoy and let the debate start tomorrow..
lizzo-its-about-damn-time.gif

I just gotta say that this site is incredible, especially when you see some of the trash that passes for fan pages for other programs. The folks around here are great and the site itself is outstanding. We have our issues from time to time, but I wouldn’t trade our worst day for any of the sewage from the rest of the SEC (or anywhere else). Thanks to @Freak and OP!

I just gotta say that this site is incredible, especially when you see some of the trash that passes for fan pages for other programs. The folks around here are great and the site itself is outstanding. We have our issues from time to time, but I wouldn’t trade our worst day for any of the sewage from the rest of the SEC (or anywhere else). Thanks to @Freak and OP!
It says enough when rival fans rather be here, than their own boards 🤣. My wife and kids say I'm addicted, wife even talks about my Volnation girlfriends 🤣. She don't mean anything bad, just always asks if I'm talking to a Volnation girlfriend.

150 days…..

#150 - 24-18 vs Boston College (1977)

Johnny Majors returned home in 1977 after winning the National Championship at Pitt the season before. Hopes were high that Johnny would return the Vols back to national prominence. In Majors second game as HC, Kelsey Finch scored twice and the Vols defense intercepted four Eagle passes to secure the victory. The return to glory would take longer than expected and there would be bigger wins, but the ground work started with the first win during the Majors era……You Can Come Home Again!

6764553B-1DF8-4CF8-971F-2530555F342E.png

150 days…..

#150 - 24-18 vs Boston College (1977)

Johnny Majors returned home in 1977 after winning the National Championship at Pitt the season before. Hopes were high that Johnny would return the Vols back to national prominence. In Majors second game as HC, Kelsey Finch scored twice and the Vols defense intercepted four Eagle passes to secure the victory. The return to glory would take longer than expected and there would be bigger wins, but the ground work started with the first win during the Majors era……You Can Come Home Again!

View attachment 544877
I was there. 13 years old. Pretty sure it was a night game.

Last edited:
YES !!!!
What a way to countdown @peaygolf ...this should be a great list.

Already impressed with the first pick and Johnny's 1st win as Head Vol.
Also, I'm calling it now - I bet the '98 NC game is NOT your number one either.

Who knows???;)
Never know what I have up my sleeve!

Last edited:
149 days…….

#149 - 10-6 vs Vanderbilt (1916)

On November 11, 1916, Tennessee held it’s first Homecoming. Over 300 alumni, dating back to the class of 1872, attended the festivities. All-Southern back Graham Vowell scored the winning touchdown in the 10-6 victory over Vanderbilt in UT's first Homecoming game. The victory over the highly rated Commodores was considered a huge upset and was the first time that Tennessee had beaten Vanderbilt in Knoxville.

View attachment 545028

149 days…….

On November 11, 1916, Tennessee held it’s first Homecoming. Over 300 alumni, dating back to the class of 1872, attended the festivities. All-Southern back Graham Vowell scored the winning touchdown in the 10-6 victory over Vanderbilt in UT's first Homecoming game. The victory over the highly rated Commodores was considered a huge upset and was the first time that Tennessee had beaten Vanderbilt in Knoxville.

View attachment 545028
Peay, you nailed it, this is the best countdown you have done.

149 days…….

View attachment 545028

I was there. I remember I had taken the train up from Maryville, which is what they called Murville in those days, cause I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the train cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of buffaloes on 'em. "Gimme five buffs for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. I didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

Last edited:
148 days……

#148 - 45-24 vs Virginia Tech (2016)

In 1997, plans began to have a game at the speedway in Bristol to set the record for the largest attendance in college football history. Finally, in 2016, it became a reality as UT played Virginia Tech. 156,990 people watched Josh Dobbs throw 3 TDs and rush for two more scores as the Vols defeated the Hokies 45-24. Micah Abernathy set a single game record with three fumble recoveries, helping the Vols erase a 14 point deficit.

Tech wasn’t ranked, but the Vols were ranked 17th at the time and the national spotlight was back on the Vols.

805E5038-2149-483D-92CA-7A11AF0FBE67.png

148 days……

In 1997, plans began to have a game at the speedway in Bristol to set the record for the largest attendance in college football history. Finally, in 2016, it became a reality as UT played Virginia Tech. 156,990 people watched Josh Dobbs throw 3 TDs and rush for two more scores as the Vols defeated the Hokies 45-24. Micah Abernathy set a single game record with three fumble recoveries, helping the Vols erase a 14 point deficit.

Tech wasn’t ranked, but the Vols were ranked 17th at the time and the national spotlight was back on the Vols.

View attachment 545208
Such a special event. We didn’t realize the depths our program was about to sink but the signs were already there.

148 days……

View attachment 545208
WGWTFA

147 days……

#147 - 68-0 vs TPI - Tennessee Tech (1951)

Tennessee Tech wasn’t the best team, or the best win in 1951, but the #1 ranked Vols still hold the largest margin of victory in the modern era of UT football. All- American Hank Lauricella only had 2 carries in his seven minutes of play, but both were touchdowns, including a 74 yarder. 59 Vols played in the game, including over a dozen freshman. The Vols did everything to keep the score from getting to out of hand, even kicking a FG on first down. UT would go on to win the National Championship in 1951, but the margin of victory that still stands makes this game one of the best wins……

04DA2FAD-ADB8-4FF6-8A22-752DDE6CC495.png

147 days……

#147 - 68-0 vs TPI - Tennessee Tech (1951)

Tennessee Tech wasn’t the best team, or the best win in 1951, but the #1 ranked Vols still hold the largest margin of victory in the modern era of UT football. All- American Hank Lauricella only had 2 carries in his seven minutes of play, but both were touchdowns, including a 74 yarder. 59 Vols played in the game, including over a dozen freshman. The Vols did everything to keep the score from getting to out of hand, even kicking a FG on first down. UT would go on to win the National Championship in 1951, but the margin of victory that still stands makes this game one of the best wins……

View attachment 545413
Would enjoy seeing this record broken on, say, September 30.

Would enjoy seeing this record broken on, say, September 30.
I appreciate your desire for vengeance against the Capons, but I’d rather see the margin of victory record broken on Sept. 16. Imagine UT +10 on turnovers and scoring every possession with defensive and special teams scores as well. Imagine the psychological scarring inflicted upon the Vols opponents (whose name shall not be posted here).

VN Store

Back