Mashack

Volfan70

Why was mashack running pg last night ??.. he hasn’t ran pg in the tourney till then, really don’t understand it

Why was mashack running pg last night ??.. he hasn’t ran pg in the tourney till then, really don’t understand it

He has gotten a good bit of run at PG since ZZ went down. They've been platooning it between Santi, Mashack, JJJ, and Key. I really love his effort. He was sure giving it his all till the very last whistle. Excited to see his progression next year!

He has gotten a good bit of run at PG since ZZ went down. They've been platooning it between Santi, Mashack, JJJ, and Key. I really love his effort. He was sure giving it his all till the very last whistle. Excited to see his progression next year!
I 100% understand, but I really don’t think in situations like that, we have hun play pg, really think santi needed to for the full game

I 100% understand, but I really don’t think in situations like that, we have hun play pg, really think santi needed to for the full game

If you do that then Vescovi is way more ineffective playing PG. He is much better off the ball. Mashack is also the only one who was able drive the ball one on one.

We don't have guys who can consistently score the ball other than Vescovi. You can't wear him down running the point when you have so little offensively. Someone posted in another thread about a ridiculous stat on how many shots our seniors missed last night vs the rest of the team. Telling. Barnes went into the season with one PG and in the end, it bit us in the ass. While I hope we'll go out and get a guy or 3 that can score the ball, I'm not holding my breath. Barnes and I aren't that far apart in age so I know how difficult it is to change at a fundamental level at this point in life. Not impossible, but I'd be shocked if he brings in anyone who isn't a superior defender first and foremost. I suspect he'll convince himself that our current roster will develop and improve their shooting and all we need to do is become stronger on the defensive end.

Hopefully Dillione becomes backup behind ZZ next year. I don't think Mashack did a bad job at the point, it's his lack of offensive production that I find more problematic. Other teams do not guard him close b/c he is not a reliable threat to score. Best defender, but we sometimes need another scorer on offense. Hopefully he develops.

After the initial 5-10 minutes, we had so much trouble penetrating their guards and getting any solid inside looks (Nkam/JJJ esp). We shot a ton of mid-range jumpers instead. I'm guessing Mashack was our only hope to force the issue. But the adjustment came too late IMO.

He has quite often to be honest spelling Zakai during season and more so since Zakai has been out. He actually has done better against the half court trap that teams have put on Santi.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Hopefully Dillione becomes backup behind ZZ next year. I don't think Mashack did a bad job at the point, it's his lack of offensive production that I find more problematic. Other teams do not guard him close b/c he is not a reliable threat to score. Best defender, but we sometimes need another scorer on offense. Hopefully he develops.
Why try to make Dillione into a PG when you can use the portal to find a true/natural PG? Seems counter intuitive. Not saying he can't play it but I'd rather see him at his natural position next year.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Why try to make Dillione into a PG when you can use the portal to find a true/natural PG? Seems counter intuitive. Not saying he can't play it but I'd rather see him at his natural position next year.

From what I've read Dillione has been practicing at point, so just hopeful he pans out if that's the direction they plan to go with him. I don't disagree that they need to hit the portal for some help at PG.

Santi was mauled whenever he had the ball. Basically rendered a wasted roster spot. He needs to be off the ball and the problem is who is going to get it to him?

Reactions: feathersax
Honestly he seems like the most confident ball handler we have that actually will drive to the rim
In all fairness to him, he was really the only one on the team who seemed to be aggressively taking the ball to the basket last night. Too much standing around the perimeter by everyone else.

Reactions: volfeeva
I know that everyone is pointing fingers, but there were some positives from the season. For me, it was good to see Mashack improve and grow with each game after Zeigler went down. That first game was really shaky, but with each game, he improved. With a summer of development, he should contribute a lot next season. Looking forward to seeing him play next year.

Awaka and Mashack were two pleasant surprises for this year's group. I think Mashack has some Josh Richardson type potential ability in him and expect he will continue to put the time in to develop. Richardson was almost automatic on that pull up mid-range shot. I doubt Mashack will ever be a great 3 pt shooter but he is a very good defender who is going to get a ton of minutes the next 2 years. The fact that he was able to handle some PG responsibilities was really surprising although not an ideal role for him.

What other choice did we have. Since he insists on not playing BJ Edwards, we don’t have another pg on the roster without ZZ. Jamai is a way better ballhandler than Tyreke Key, so there was no one else. Hopefully we actually will play Dillone, BJ, and some other playmaking transfer portal guards next year to go along with Maishak and ZZ. Need more playmakers.

What other choice did we have. Since he insists on not playing BJ Edwards, we don’t have another pg on the roster without ZZ. Jamai is a way better ballhandler than Tyreke Key, so there was no one else. Hopefully we actually will play Dillone, BJ, and some other playmaking transfer portal guards next year to go along with Maishak and ZZ. Need more playmakers.
With the risk of anyone jumping in the portal i would play anyone with a scholarship. Play them or risk losing them.

Reactions: Volanooga2521

Because he looked like the only player we had in the second half that didn’t look scared to shoot and be aggressive.

I truly believe Mashack has the athleticism and talent to be elite. If he stays and develops his shot, I’d have him working on his three all off season. 100 three pointers a day. Made. With his speed and size, he could be such a weapon if he could hit the 3.

VN Store

Back