Potpourri

I wasn’t sure where to post this, but I needed to get it out… I keep catching clips of the Southern Hoops series that involve Pat Summitt and I get emotional EVERY TIME… I’ll never forget my 1st ever trip to Knoxville getting to tour the basketball facilities and then taking a picture with her statue. I was so excited and told myself that I NEEDED to meet her… she would pass away the very next week… I was DEVASTATED and just cried… I miss her so much, man she was so special… and it was weird how I felt because I’m from Lexington, Ky and obviously bleed blue, yet I would root for Tennessee (except against UK 😅), but it wasn’t really for the Lady Vols, it was more because I loved Pat Summitt and who she was and what she stood for. I was rooting for her to win.

I know there’s the story of how she almost ended up at UK, but I’m not so sure that history would have played out in a similar fashion had that happened. And for that, I’m glad she ended up where she needed to be. You all had a special woman. The best. I miss you Pat 💙 (from a UK fan)

Thanks for letting me get that out

I wasn’t sure where to post this, but I needed to get it out… I keep catching clips of the Southern Hoops series that involve Pat Summitt and I get emotional EVERY TIME… I’ll never forget my 1st ever trip to Knoxville getting to tour the basketball facilities and then taking a picture with her statue. I was so excited and told myself that I NEEDED to meet her… she would pass away the very next week… I was DEVASTATED and just cried… I miss her so much, man she was so special… and it was weird how I felt because I’m from Lexington, Ky and obviously bleed blue, yet I would root for Tennessee (except against UK 😅), but it wasn’t really for the Lady Vols, it was more because I loved Pat Summitt and who she was and what she stood for. I was rooting for her to win.

I know there’s the story of how she almost ended up at UK, but I’m not so sure that history would have played out in a similar fashion had that happened. And for that, I’m glad she ended up where she needed to be. You all had a special woman. The best. I miss you Pat 💙 (from a UK fan)

Thanks for letting me get that out
Yes sir/ma’am. Lot of emoting in this particular thread. What she passed along to her players, staff and fans continues to grow and thrive.

With all the Skynyrd posts recently, just wanted to note the passing of last original member and co-founder Gary Rossington this past Sunday.

Rossington's slide guitar on Free Bird was classic. Glad he survived and recovered from the plane crash that took several bandmates just as the group was reaching massive success.

Thanks guys, all is well....I just had to take a break from bad basketball...Took a series of short trips from here to there....Loaded up my 4 dogs and away we went....They are really a lot of fun to be with....

Good to hear from GT, time spent with his dogs on a road trip makes me envious…..I need to jack up a road trip with my Gus….

On one of my short adventures I went to visit the Yorktown battlefield in Virgina.....It was fairly cold but we (my dogs and me) had a good/great time....I kept them on their leashes in the park, but when no one was around I let Sparky, my cockapoodle, run around some....He really had a blast, thought he might shake his tail off he was so happy.....

Since this was the off season there were just a few park rangers there and not a lot of tourists, but this one ranger was very helpful....She gave a great description of how the patriots overran readout number 10, which weakened Cornwallis's position, and then the other readout fell, and Cornwallis knew it was curtains and eventually gave up...

When the surrender took place, the British regimental band played "The World Turned Upside Down", or so legend says...In any event, it was a hell of a day for the 13 colonies and their French allies.....

The hits just keep coming, damn you 2023!

My 23 yo son who survived a car crash xmas before last is now facing a cancer diagnosis. He is a extremely fair skinned redhead who has been told sun exposure is a bad risk for him his whole life. So, naturally he didn't listen and got a severe burn last summer. Now he has a spot on his shoulder that the doctors took one look at this morning and said he had to get taken off immediately. Wifey just went though something similar in November. My Goodness! What a freaking year....

The hits just keep coming, damn you 2023!

My 23 yo son who survived a car crash xmas before last is now facing a cancer diagnosis. He is a extremely fair skinned redhead who has been told sun exposure is a bad risk for him his whole life. So, naturally he didn't listen and got a severe burn last summer. Now he has a spot on his shoulder that the doctors took one look at this morning and said he had to get taken off immediately. Wifey just went though something similar in November. My Goodness! What a freaking year....

I had years like that in my past...people told me every conceivable prognosis and reasonings for the happenings
I kept looking for the reason
I found the best explanation in the "Good Book"

Ecclesiastes 9:11
"...The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all.

Only after I read this did I consider it was not punishment,,,it was simply "time and chance".

Hope this helps ;o)

Kellie looks a lot like the woman in Airplane....

resize

lee-bryant1.jpg

Anyone here know about Billy Strings and his music? Around the coast where I live he has become a big deal. Thinking he is even bigger in Tenn since he plays some grass with an edge, word is he is selling out good sized venues now.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
Anyone here know about Billy Springs and his music? Around the coast where I live he has become a big deal. Thinking he is even bigger in Tenn since he plays some grass with an edge, word is he is selling out good sized venues now.

Been watching and listening to him for a couple years now. A mixture of bluegrass, newgrass, and the Dead. But he plays respectful homage to the old stuff while putting out interesting new stuff. Can play a guitar like ringing a bell. His band is great. Here he is with a nice twist on an old standard:

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Been watching and listening to him for a couple years now. A mixture of bluegrass, newgrass, and the Dead. But he plays respectful homage to the old stuff while putting out interesting new stuff. Can play a guitar like ringing a bell. His band is great. Here he is with a nice twist on an old standard:

Wow. 🤩

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
As I age, I find the need to have ”readers” laying around everywhere when I need to read something, the cheapies from Walgreens for now, but I need them…we all age and our once great vision starts to slip some, so this one is for the guys and gals getting older now like me…

As I age, I find the need to have ”readers” laying around everywhere when I need to read something, the cheapies from Walgreens for now, but I need them…we all age and our once great vision starts to slip some, so this one is for the guys and gals getting older now like me…

If ya been wearing readers, it’s time to get them checked… 😉
Great tune. Jackson Browne was a favorite.

We don’t feature ”love songs” here on potpourri often if ever, however, there is one song in that category that grabs you everytime….

Thats some **** right there friends, she nails it. That one was for you @GameTime and your lost love. Peace all.

Thanks Rooster...That put a tear in my eye and a big lump in my throat...You're a good guy/friend...

First time I ever saw my brides face was coming back from an ambulance run....She worked in the building next to ours and I so badly wanted to meet this beautiful blond that went back and forth to her car, and ignored all of us guys trying to get her attention......

As I pulled into the parking lot with my ambulance, I saw the beautiful blond bent over actually being sick at her stomach....I went over to her and said can I help you....She looked up at me with a little vomit on her lips; she was so sick...They had painted her office and the fumes had made her very ill....I wiped her mouth and held her head as she got sick again....

When the cancer was ravaging her body, I once again held her head...I use to joke some with her that someday she has to stop being sick at the sight of me....Anything to help her get through what she was going through.....

In the Ms Tennessee contest, she didn't win, she sang the song Snowbird....The girl could really sing, but that damn cancer took her voice away...It took so much, a little at a time, but it could not take her smile away....She was a champ to the end.

Thanks Rooster...That put a tear in my eye and a big lump in my throat...You're a good guy/friend...

First time I ever saw my brides face was coming back from an ambulance run....She worked in the building next to ours and I so badly wanted to meet this beautiful blond that went back and forth to her car, and ignored all of us guys trying to get her attention......

As I pulled into the parking lot with my ambulance, I saw the beautiful blond bent over actually being sick at her stomach....I went over to her and said can I help you....She looked up at me with a little vomit on her lips; she was so sick...They had painted her office and the fumes had made her very ill....I wiped her mouth and held her head as she got sick again....

When the cancer was ravaging her body, I once again held her head...I use to joke some with her that someday she has to stop being sick at the sight of me....Anything to help her get through what she was going through.....

In the Ms Tennessee contest, she didn't win, she sang the song Snowbird....The girl could really sing, but that damn cancer took her voice away...It took so much, a little at a time, but it could not take her smile away....She was a champ to the end.

GameTime,my heart aches for you as you share these memories with us. Your bride was a very special lady and it is wonderful that you two shared a special love. My sweetheart of sixty years has battled the big C and thanks to the LORD she is in remission. Let your memories help sustain you. GOD BLESS.

GameTime,my heart aches for you as you share these memories with us. Your bride was a very special lady and it is wonderful that you two shared a special love. My sweetheart of sixty years has battled the big C and thanks to the LORD she is in remission. Let your memories help sustain you. GOD BLESS.

May I also add that Anne Murray has long been a favorite of ours. We love to hear her sing “Could I Have This Dance” .

Dang! That's good. 😮

VN Store

Back