Defensive Stop Rate

FollowTheLeader

At Tuesdays Press Conference, like clockwork, the media asked Coach Banks about stats.

He mentioned, as usually, he knows the stats, but the only stat that he really focuses on is "stop rate". He said that his goal is to find a way to stop the other team from scoring and getting off the field so that the offense can get on the field and score because in football, that's how you win games.

We are #23 in the country in stop rate for 2022. For perspective, Michigan #3, Penn State #5, Georgia #8, Ohio State #11 and Alabama #18. All of these programs have talent, depth and experience on D that we don't have, yet we were just as effective in stop rate.

In 2021, we were #86 in stop rate. We improved and moved 63 spots in one year and there are only 5 or 6 defenses in the country that improved more.

We are heading in the right direction on D.

Our defense last season was very underrated and much improved. The problem is too many on here are still focusing on 19th century football stats (total yards, passing yards, rushing yards etc) instead of stats that matter in today's game (points per drive)

Our defense last season was very underrated and much improved. The problem is too many on here are still focusing on 19th century football stats (total yards, passing yards, rushing yards etc) instead of stats that matter in today's game (points per drive)

I've been saying the only 3 defense stats that really matter are...

1. Turnovers
2. Punts
3. Forced FG attempts in the redzone

These are the only stats that matter in today's game. Stats like tackles for loss, sacks, rushing/passing yards allowed, etc. Those are kind of meaningless in today's game.

1. Turnovers
2. Punts

These are the only stats that matter in today's game. Stats like tackles for loss, sacks, rushing/passing yards allowed, etc. Those are kind of meaningless in today's game.

I like points per drive because it factors in all of those things. But we are on the same page.

When Banks was hired, I looked at his previous jobs and was encouraged. His teams generally improved year over year.
Unfortunately, there are moments in games. and whole games, too, where the defense looks completely ineffective.

1. Turnovers
2. Punts

Yep, 3rd down % and red zone % are the two biggies, but you're right that turnovers (and turnover +/-) is huge as well.

So those stats don't matter for offense then either?

When Banks was hired, I looked at his previous jobs and was encouraged. His teams generally improved year over year.
Unfortunately, there are moments in games. and whole games, too, where the defense looks completely ineffective.

Bad days respect nobody.

Reactions: VolDave53
At Tuesdays Press Conference, like clockwork, the media asked Coach Banks about stats.

He mentioned, as usually, he knows the stats, but the only stat that he really focuses on is "stop rate". He said that his goal is to find a way to stop the other team from scoring and getting off the field so that the offense can get on the field and score because in football, that's how you win games.

We are #23 in the country in stop rate for 2022. For perspective, Michigan #3, Penn State #5, Georgia #8, Ohio State #11 and Alabama #18. All of these programs have talent, depth and experience on D that we don't have, yet we were just as effective in stop rate.

In 2021, we were #86 in stop rate. We improved and moved 63 spots in one year and there are only 5 or 6 defenses in the country that improved more.

We are heading in the right direction on D.
Do you have a link to those stats?

The problem isn't the averages. The problem is their total ineffectiveness at times. Bama and USCe make the worst examples. One you can explain by talent. The other... you just can't.

The problem isn't the averages. The problem is their total ineffectiveness at times. Bama and USCe make the worst examples. One you can explain by talent. The other... you just can't.
sure it can.

South Carolina is only two spots behind us in talent, so its not like there is a big enough difference where we win on talent alone 10/10 times.

I actually thought our defense played well against Bama
First quarter. All total they gave up 569 yds and 49 points. On the first 3 drives they held Bama to 71 yds and 7 points. Bama scored on 7 of the next 9 drives with a missed FG. That's not good. That's definitely not "getting off the field".

Reactions: swampfoxfan
First quarter. All total they gave up 569 yds and 49 points. On the first 3 drives they held Bama to 71 yds and 7 points. Bama scored on 7 of the next 9 drives with a missed FG. That's not good. That's definitely not "getting off the field".

That doesn’t tell the full story. We played really well defensively but the number 1 pick in the upcoming draft continually made exceptional plays. We had constant pressure and lived in their backfield.

Edit: how well you play and outcome are not always the same. For example you could be the best defender in nba history, be right on top of an elite shooter and him still hit the shot. That’s basically what happened against Bama

sure it can.

South Carolina is only two spots behind us in talent, so its not like there is a big enough difference where we win on talent alone 10/10 times.
Come on guy. You cannot pretend that was a talented team and particularly on O. They scored 63 against UT. Banks had no answers to slow them down. Their next highest score against a P-5 team was 38 vs Vandy. Their avg scoring against the SEC was 26 ppg. They averaged 382 yds/gm vs the rest of the SEC and had 606 vs UT.

They just weren't very good... and Banks made them look like world beaters.

Sorry but it will take more than a convenient "stat" to make me a believer. I fully realize Heupel and his staff did not inherit ideal talent on either side of the ball. But great coaches, coach great. I haven't seen anything YET to make me believe Banks is the right guy.

Being ineffective at times should be expected when your moving kids around, playing walk ons and piecing your defense together to play against some of the best teams in college football.

And even with having one of the toughest schedules in college football, being dead last in TOP and a pieced-together defense, we still found a way to be Top 25 in getting off the field and stopping other team from scoring.

GBO🍊

That doesn’t tell the full story. We played really well defensively but the number 1 pick in the upcoming draft continually made exceptional plays. We had constant pressure and lived in their backfield.

Edit: how well you play and outcome are not always the same. For example you could be the best defender in nba history, be right on top of an elite shooter and him still hit the shot. That’s basically what happened against Bama
I'm not against Banks. I really hope he works out. But my version of "BVS" isn't just being kneejerk negative but rather needing PROOF before buying in. He has just been too inconsistent. Besides Young who you could excuse... he made Richardson look great... Rattler. Guys who just flat out sucked against pretty much everyone else ate UT alive.

Swinney mismanaged the Orange Bowl or that would have been a much closer game. He faked a FG at the 25. They missed 3 more FG. They failed to convert a 4th down at UT's 30. Walker made an INT in the end zone. That's at least 6 FG's they blew... which would have been enough points for them to win.

The truth is Clemson drove the ball up and down the field all night on Banks. They had 484 yds to UT's 375... that's not normal for a 31-14 game.

Reactions: Tnslim1
Being ineffective at times should be expected when your moving kids around, playing walk ons and piecing your defense together to play against some of the best teams in college football.
Which walk ons and why did they play? Everyone not named Bama, UGA, or OSU moves players around to cover depth issues. That's not unique to UT.

I'm not complaining about the "best teams in college football". I'm pointing to teams that weren't close to that... and still made Banks look bad. USCe, UF, Purdue last year, etc. Young was a wizard vs UT. If that were just one of those games against a guy of that caliber... OK. But when Richardson and Rattler do it? Nah. There are problems other than just "talent".

And even with having one of the toughest schedules in college football, being dead last in TOP and a pieced-together defense, we still found a way to be Top 25 in getting off the field and stopping other team from scoring.

GBO🍊
Do you have that stat reference? Something doesn't "smell" right about it.

I'm not against Banks. I really hope he works out. But my version of "BVS" isn't just being kneejerk negative but rather needing PROOF before buying in. He has just been too inconsistent. Besides Young who you could excuse... he made Richardson look great... Rattler. Guys who just flat out sucked against pretty much everyone else ate UT alive.

Swinney mismanaged the Orange Bowl or that would have been a much closer game. He faked a FG at the 25. They missed 3 more FG. They failed to convert a 4th down at UT's 30. Walker made an INT in the end zone. That's at least 6 FG's they blew... which would have been enough points for them to win.

The truth is Clemson drove the ball up and down the field all night on Banks. They had 484 yds to UT's 375... that's not normal for a 31-14 game.

How many scholarship CBs did we have against SC? If my memory is right, the answer is not many

And you’re still focusing on the wrong stats. No one cares about total yards.

You're funny! 😄

Reactions: Vol8188
How many scholarship CBs did we have against SC? If my memory is right, the answer is not many
And you really accept that as an excuse for giving up that kind of game to a bad USCe offense? I can't ignore things like that.

And you’re still focusing on the wrong stats. No one cares about total yards.
It matters when it is a reflection of the D's inability to do exactly what Banks said they were good at- getting off the field and preventing scoring/scoring opportunities. If Clemson hits rather than misses those opportunities UT could have easily lost.

VN Store

Back