Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Show me high school basketball players that become All-Americans because of the Defense. They don't. I played college basketball. There are 7 former High School All-Americans on that team. Kara has had a few of these players for a couple years and they are no better on the offensive end now than they were coming in. Fact is, you can go right down that roster and look at the numbers those players had before arriving at Duke and they are worse. She may have cobbled together a defensive team, but i stand on the fact that she has shown no ability to coach the offensive end. That team she had a year ago should have been at the top of the league with the players they had on it and the players they got this year are even better.
For the Kara pumpers/Kellie haters...

Duke loses to a lower seed at home in the NCAA tournament while scoring only 53 points in an OT game!

Losing to a #6 seed Colorado team that the Lady Vols beat by 18 points this season.

Meanwhile Kellie and the Lady Vols score 94 points to advance to the Sweet Sixteen..while scoring 50 points in the first half!

Sweet Sixteen appearances:
Kellie Harper - 2 in a row at Tennessee
Kara Lawson - 0 at Duke

We had two easy opponents, Duke and other teams didn't--not in the second round. Big difference, if we're honest. We played a 12 seed today in the second round and, based on what I saw, I'm wondering how Toledo have made the tournament and won a first-round game. We were good--but they were awful. We have played better basketball as a team in the last quarter of the season and so far in the tourney--it's encouraging--but let's not act like we've just beaten two good opponents. We just beat two weak opponents at home. We'll find out how good we are in the next game or, let's hope, two!

We had two easy opponents, Duke and other teams didn't--not in the second round. Big difference, if we're honest. We played a 12 seed today in the second round and, based on what I saw, I'm wondering how Toledo have made the tournament and won a first-round game. We were good--but they were awful. We have played better basketball as a team in the last quarter of the season and so far in the tourney--it's encouraging--but let's not act like we've just beaten two good opponents. We just beat two weak opponents at home. We'll find out how good we are in the next game or, let's hope, two!

Two easy opponents equaling two easy wins? I’ll take it in March. Considering how most of the regular season went, I’m gonna celebrate the fact that this team took advantage of getting a favorable draw the first weekend. Is that not better than squeaking out two wins to go to the S16? I guarantee you Stanford and Indiana wish they’d gotten a more favorable draw.

Just a little over a month ago, many on this forum thought the LVs were looking at a 6 — possibly a 7 seed. And at that time, I didn’t see us cruising to the S16 AT ALL.

Last edited:
Would Iowa State have been a tougher opponent? See, the team we played handled them pretty easily. They also beat Michigan one of the higher ranked teams this year. You can call it easy, but that team did not get to this point because they couldn't win basketball games. This is the NCAA tournament and the the better team each night wins. Just because you think they are easy, a team like Iowa state that was ranked in the top 20 most of the year and won the big 12 tournament would probably argue to differ with you.

You keep wondering about things that happened. Why not just watch and comment on what happened instead of acting befuddled?

Toledo was on a 17 game win streak and won the MAC which is right up there as one of the best mid-majors conferences in the country.

They are well coached, had a really good game plan, but they took one to the teeth in the second quarter and could never recover. Just give credit where credit is due. This Lady Vol team stepped up and didn’t just beat them, they slaughtered them.

67975061-DC18-4628-9FF6-10EF7E9C2FEC.jpeg

Duke, and very few of the remaining tournament teams, couldn't score 95 & 94 points in consecutive games against air.

Kara's teams aren't 'teams'. Assembling a team based on '5 star' talent isn't the only indicator of success at the collegiate level, as Holly Warlick, and John Calipari have found out.

Last edited:
Duke, and very few of the remaining tournament teams, could score 95 & 94 points in consecutive games against air.

Kara's teams aren't 'teams'. Assembling a team based on '5 star' talent isn't the only indicator of success at the collegiate level, as Holly Warlick, and John Calipari have found out.
Your profile pic gets me every time 🤣

I’m starting to think some of y’all look for any reason to talk about Kara and other former lady Vols players who are coaching. FYI kellie has been coaching longer so should have it figured out. Kara will be an excellent coach with timing. She can recruit and other skill sets will come. Why not just be happy for both coaches and leave it at that.
HELLO! It’s like they were so excited she lost! Weird!!!

I’ll say this from a SC fan’s perspective, UCLA is not going to be an easy game, and Md awaits if SC wins its next game. Say what you will, but the Greenville 1 bracket in hindsight was probably the toughest draw for a 1 seed.

I don’t believe Iowa has the team to get past the final 4, but they should make it that far. LSU fell into a great path to the final 4 also in hindsight. Uconn is back, hopefully UT meets them and can figure them out.

I’ll say this from a SC fan’s perspective, UCLA is not going to be an easy game, and Md awaits if SC wins its next game. Say what you will, but the Greenville 1 bracket in hindsight was probably the toughest draw for a 1 seed.

I don’t believe Iowa has the team to get past the final 4, but they should make it that far. LSU fell into a great path to the final 4 also in hindsight. Uconn is back, hopefully UT meets them and can figure them out.
I think Tennessee has the toughest road. Virginia Tech then UConn (most likely) just to get to the final four.

Last edited:

You could be correct UCLA will not be an easy game also remember they played SC way back on Nov 29 2022 and SC is a much better team now i think ?. I think UCLA will come up with a game plan what ? we don`t know.

VN Store

Back