Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

kellie might just be around as hollie. mudcat says even rats will agree. i do belive if final four happens next year or # champship even @Darth_Vol might say some kind words for kellie.

That was certainly unexpected, but awesome news that Jackson is coming back. But Kellie just had a whole regular season with Jackson, the majority of which as an unranked team that finished third in a bad conference. Before doing too many victory laps I would wait to see what she can do in the postseason with Jackson given what, IMO, is a very favorable draw.

As far as next year, unless Kellie can find some guards in the portal - specifically a point guard - next season will play out a lot like this one. Today was a great step toward being a serious contender next season, but there is still work that needs to be done...

That was certainly unexpected, but awesome news that Jackson is coming back. But Kellie just had a whole regular season with Jackson, the majority of which as an unranked team that finished third in a bad conference. Before doing too many victory laps I would wait to see what she can do in the postseason with Jackson given what, IMO, is a very favorable draw.

As far as next year, unless Kellie can find some guards in the portal - specifically a point guard - next season will play out a lot like this one. Today was a great step toward being a serious contender next season, but there is still work that needs to be done...
Plus some lockdown defenders on the perimeter. Defense was never good enough to win against teams with quick scoring guards. Team has to be better at the guard positions. If we had the guards this year were five or six games better at least. She has to get that great point guard then everything will come together a lot better.

just be clear i was saying next year 5 see lady vos having good year next year.
so kellie years six looks more likely than not . the as long as hollie was 7 years coach. was not saying kellie is like hollie just she going be around six for sure.
the room just got quiet
i think kellie coaches next year and the one after no matter what the fire kellie crew says. and she making headway with recuits 25 -28 class no one can say kellie looking like her coaching her 8 th grade recuit not looking better. good season next year should help recuiting.

horston back or not point guard should be address . point who get it to open player not force it to one or two players not open.. rats was in fun with going down with the ship. noting personal i do think you want tenn to win you just do not faith in her hope she proves you wrong. kellie that is.

Last edited:
Kellie is not a good coach, never has been and never will be! She would lose if Lebron James was on the team and eligible to play! The longer she stays at Tennessee, the bigger the hole will get. It's already fairly deep! If you are really a fan of Tennessee, you should want better and not settle with this level of play!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratvol
For those that downgrade Kellie and support Barnes, they earned the same #4 seed in their respective NCAA tournaments this year.

Completely meaningless. Barnes is not working with a legacy of 8 national championships on the men's side, is he? And yet he and his staff
recruit better than Harper and her staff, as does practically everyone.

I believe Coach Kellie will restore the Lady Vols WCBB program to its former elite status. However, snicker, snicker, if she does not, then the UT AD should give a look at the head coach at Florida Gulf Coast, Karl Smesko. He is 33-3 this year with a career won-loss percentage of .842. Like I say, just mentioning this, snicker, snicker.

Last edited:
Completely meaningless. Barnes is not working with a legacy of 8 national championships on the men's side, is he? And yet he and his staff

Well one thing for sure. The LVs surely got it done old school today. Against a weaker opponent yep. But it looked like they were having fun and actually dominated.

Thought it was mistake for him to not be retained.
I always respected Dean and believed he done great with the likes of Anosike , Izzy, Basharra ,and many others , but failed tremendously with Mercedes who should have been the second coming of Griner. I still have problems getting over the facts that we had Russell, DeShields, Nared , etc etc and didn't win the natty. I blame every darn coach that sat on that bench during those seasons , Dean included. Nevertheless, those were strange and awful times in those days. Sigh.

I always respected Dean and believed he done great with the likes of Anosike , Izzy, Basharra ,and many others , but failed tremendously with Mercedes who should have been the second coming of Griner. I still have problems getting over the facts that we had Russell, DeShields, Nared , etc etc and didn't win the natty. I blame every darn coach that sat on that bench during those seasons , Dean included. Nevertheless, those were strange and awful times in those days. Sigh.
Our "Hollyday" period

You mean that group that thought they ran the show instead of the coaches?

The Sports world is very much a "what have you done for me lately?" business. So, the present is more telling of there a program is today than the past.

And if Barnes recruits so much better than Kellie but has only attained the same #4 seeding, would he not be the one who is under achieving?

BTW, who has Barnes recruited who is a comparatively better player than Rickea Jackson?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The Sports world is very much a "what have you done for me lately?" business. So, the present is more telling of there a program is today than the past.

And if Barnes recruits so much better than Kellie but has only attained the same #4 seeding, would he not be the one who is under achieving?

BTW, who has Barnes recruited who is a comparatively better player than Rickea Jackson?
Has a SEC championship banner under 2 years old….Grant Williams 2 time SEC POY. No NIL needed and he was a 3*

1st team AA

Reactions: Ratvol

I agree. Who exactly did Dean "develop." The Warlick staff simply did not get it done--at all--on the coaching end, especially given that that staff recruited well, by and large. He wasn't here when we had Anosike, was he? I thought she was well before his time--and either way, I would say that Anosike wasn't developed much. She just happened to be the most athletic big we've ever had--6'3" and could move. She was a beast defensively and on the boards. You think Key is a good defensively? She doesn't compare to Anosike--who, along with Parker, just dominated the inside for us and dominated on the boards (of course Parker could do it all). Anosike's offensive game was quite limited and /very/ slow to develop--but she was a force otherwise.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I agree. Who exactly did Dean "develop." The Warlick staff simply did not get it done--at all--on the coaching end, especially given that that staff recruited well, by and large. He wasn't here when we had Anosike, was he? I thought she was well before his time--and either way, I would say that Anosike wasn't developed much. She just happened to be the most athletic big we've ever had--6'3" and could move. She was a beast defensively and on the boards. You think Key is a good defensively? She doesn't compare to Anosike--who, along with Parker, just dominated the inside for us and dominated on the boards (of course Parker could do it all). Anosike's offensive game was quite limited and /very/ slow to develop--but she was a force otherwise.
Anoski and Dean arrived the same year.

Plus some lockdown defenders on the perimeter. Defense was never good enough to win against teams with quick scoring guards. Team has to be better at the guard positions. If we had the guards this year were five or six games better at least. She has to get that great point guard then everything will come together a lot better.

Better guard play would certainly help--but even with better guards we'd still be running the same offense, which mostly consists of getting the ball to Jackson and/or Horston and hoping they can score.

Reactions: Voluble2
Better guard play would certainly help--but even with better guards we'd still be running the same offense, which mostly consists of getting the ball to Jackson and/or Horston and hoping they can score.
It is unusual that we don't seem to have set plays for opening up particular options,,,shooters, cutters, etc...everything seems to be read-react or one on ones

It is unusual that we don't seem to have set plays for opening up particular options,,,shooters, cutters, etc...everything seems to be read-react or one on ones
Not true. RJ says she's very happy how they get her to her spots and get her the ball. Lots of set plays for that. It's why her offensive efficiency is so high. They ain't crazy.

Also if you have elite creators you let them create, just like if you have an elite big you go inside. Ideally doing so efficiently and having other viable options.

Last edited:
Every Coach you listen to when preparing for Tennessee with Tamari playing, Including South Carolina says, "They have to prepare differently because of her presence in the paint. She is not Tennessee's all time block leader because she sucks on defense and she certainly has the respect of all of the coaches in the SEC. For example, South Carolina can match Tennessee with size. In 3 games over 3 years against South Carolina, Tamari has 24 blocks against South Carolina alone. Alot of players cant do that in a season. For you to say her defense doesn't compare defensively is a total misrepresentation that the value that her defense brings to the Lady Vols. Tamari was a huge loss to start this season.

VN Store

Back