The Eternal Question…

All Vol!

Do you feel conference pride in a general way? Tourney time seems like the right time to raise the question. To clarify, I don’t mean those times you root for a conference foe because their winning would benefit the Vols in some way. I mean, do you feel a pride about all SEC teams because we share the conference ? Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen.

Last edited:
Which came 1st? The chicken or the egg?

I thought that was the eternal question, tbh

I don’t know if anyone else has it this way, but I have acknowledged cognitive dissonance about it. I’m proud that we have a tough conference and it’s respected, but I hate and root against just about every other team in the conference that’s not us. I root for all other SEC teams to lose all the time and still want us to be a strong well feared conference, which unfortunately both can’t happen. It’s an eternal conundrum.

Do you feel conference pride in a general way? Tourney time seems like the right time to raise the question. To clarify, I don’t mean those times you root for a conference foe because their winning would benefit the Vols in some way. I mean, do you feel a pride about all SEC teams because we share the conference and usually root for them to win in the Dance? Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen.

Candice Parker, Jay Wright and others discussed this yesterday. Many fans root for the conference but the SEC is different. Not saying it’s rt or wrong, but the game is more important to fans of SEC teams. The SEC is more competitive and the rivalries are second to none. It means more in the SEC.

With that said, I only care about TN and couldn’t care less about the rest of SEC.

I don’t know if anyone else has it this way, but I have acknowledged cognitive dissonance about it. I’m proud that we have a tough conference and it’s respected, but I hate and root against just about every other team in the conference that’s not us. I root for all other SEC teams to lose all the time and still want us to be a strong well feared conference, which unfortunately both can’t happen. It’s an eternal conundrum.

This

Candice Parker, Jay Wright and others discussed this yesterday. Many fans root for the conference but the SEC is different. Not saying it’s rt or wrong, but the game is more important to fans of SEC teams. The SEC is more competitive and the rivalries are second to none. It means more in the SEC.

With that said, I only care about TN and couldn’t care less about the rest of SEC.

This.

For me, it’s all about the matchup and how it impacts Tennessee. I’ll never pull for Kentucky, ever, don’t care who they’re playing. Add Bama to that this year after their coach was exposed and their team off court issues.

Beyond that, I’ll look at who the SEC teams are playing. Pulled for Mizzou first round, then hoped they got destroyed in round 2. Pulled for Auburn first round, then hoped they got dismantled in round 2. The list goes on - just depends on the matchup, definitely not some SEC allegiance.

Do you feel conference pride in a general way? Tourney time seems like the right time to raise the question. To clarify, I don’t mean those times you root for a conference foe because their winning would benefit the Vols in some way. I mean, do you feel a pride about all SEC teams because we share the conference and usually root for them to win in the Dance? Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen.

Not really. But looking at how the SEC is doing does kind of validate the season for us. Think how many thought we didn't deserve a 4 seed. I don't think anyone is questioning us anymore. In fact, I'm sensing some fear.

Agreed, don’t care about any team other than the Vols

Reactions: vol94
To root for other SEC teams or not seems to be the eternal burning question. Either way is correct. All I know is that the more SEC teams that win against out of conference competition the better the conference is perceived by national media and fans of other conferences. That makes it more likely our favorite SEC team will be rated higher in polls that determine post season play. That’s why the SEC is considered the best baseball and football conference and very near the top in basketball. Personally I usually root for other SEC teams, except Vandy, against outside competition, but that’s just me.

I always prefer that Arkansas, Kentucky, and Bama lose. Used to just be Kentucky because it’s Kentucky and LSU due to punk Wade but he’s gone now. I really don’t care for the pig’s coach and the whole bama murder thing has soured me on their entire sports program. After those I pull for the rest of the SEC whenever they don’t play us.

Edit - did you see Mussleman take his shirt off after the pigs win? Definitely pull for them to lose every time!

Last edited:
For whatever it’s worth…

1. I’ll ALWAYS be a “VOLS First!” supporter whatever the sport - particularly when a season transitions to a championship tournament.

2. If for whatever reason our team slips, I’ll put my support behind any SEC team as long as it’s not Alabama, Florida or Georgia… in that order.

Go VOLS!

VN Store

Back