Is Barnes the Best coach in UT history

Is Barnes the best coach in UT history(assuming elite 8)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pimo1

#orangefont always implied
Assuming we make the elite 8.

Supporting Facts
Right now we are likely to make our second Elite 8 in school history. He is about 18 games away from third all-time wins. He has consistently put teams on the floor that compete at a high level when they often do not have elite talent. Most of our best players in his tenure have been 3 stars and low 4's. He consistently develops talent.

Strictly IMO zone
I would go so far as to say his teams consistently overachieve based on rational expectations. If you compare the talent level based on recruiting rankings for the past 7 years these teams overachieve more often than not..

I think it is AWESOME that we are here and sweet 16 but before we anoint Barnes best ever based on an Elite 8, lets actually get it first. As Duke found out today, anything can happen in a single game.

Last edited:
Reactions: A.J.
Pearl still has more success from a numbers perspective but Pearl had more seasons.

Pearl's 3 Sweet 16s (one being an Elite 8) beats Barnes right now...

Barnes isn't done yet though.

Ray Mears is up there as well and was very successful.

Barnes fits with these 3 definitely though and I don't see any other Tennessee coaching beating out Barnes.

Technically, Pearl is considering he’s responsible for our only Elite 8.

However, I think Barnes has done more with less without all the NCAA drama Pearl started.

If he gets to the Elite 8 with this squad, he deserves to be over Pearl.

He is good so far . But if we lose to FDU or FAU then I say no.
What? 😂 It’s him and a few good years with Pearl. He’s brought us where we are another Sweet 16 that I’ll admit to being skeptical of even happening last week. He’s established us as a solid team even when he does go. We’re much better off than before he arrived recruiting and on the court success

Reactions: tennrich1
Pearl is so far, if Rick gets to the E8, he would have a big argument.

If he can get to the F4, no question.

Reactions: Ratvol
Idk. I’m young, I don’t remember Ray Mears. But I feel like he’s being penalized for coaching before the tourney expanded

The NCAAT was a one team per conference tournament and Adolph Rupp was at KY for most of his career. And then when he did get into the expanded field, teams weren’t seeded. Should have beaten VMI in 1976, but I think that Bernard was out for that game.

Technically, Pearl is considering he’s responsible for our only Elite 8.

However, I think Barnes has done more with less without all the NCAA drama Pearl started.

If he gets to the Elite 8 with this squad, he deserves to be over Pearl.
That's the exact logic I used with the difference being I don't put as much stock in the Pearl Elite 8 because I think pearl had a lot more overall talent. Barnes has some talent but he develops guys. I never saw that with Pearl players were who they were from start to finish with him. I think he already has proven it but if we make elite 8 without ZZ in my mind it seals it.

The thing about his teams is I LIKE the teams as people. Their personalities, the way they seem to be a brotherhood. It sucks when they lose but I still root for them because his teams are guys I'd want to go into a fight with. If that makes sense. I root for these guys because a lot of the major role players are underdogs. Of the real stars on the team, only JJJ was a really highly-rated guy and most people thought he was a one-and-done.. 4 years later here he is being the heart and soul of the team before he passes the role to ZZ. Plasvic, love him or hate him he has developed to a solid contributor to this team and he brings a lot more positive than negative both on and off the court. Awaka and Mashack. Santi. Orn. Everyone is issued a lunch pail the day they report to the team and the upperclassmen set the tone.

Rick Barnes has been the greatest / Best hire Tennessee has ever made based on resumè….

He’s one more win away in my book from separating by head and shoulders above the others….

VN Store

Back