Technical

We sure don’t need assistant coaches getting technicals - leave that dude at the motel tomorrow. Extra free throws for us could have been the difference

We sure don’t need assistant coaches getting technicals - leave that dude at the motel tomorrow. Extra free throws for us could have been the difference
Huh? I missed the part where an assistant coach was involved. Sounded like it was Vescovi and the Louisiana head coach Marlin were the participants. Where did you get the info about an UT assistant being involved?

Huh? I missed the part where an assistant coach was involved. Sounded like it was Vescovi and the Louisiana head coach Marlin were the participants. Where did you get the info about an UT assistant being involved?
The tv commentators said it was on the Cajun’s head coach and a UT assistant coach.

They said on the broadcast that it was the Louisiana head coach and Tennessee assistant, Gregg Polinsky. If Santi was involved, I'm not sure why they dinged Polinsky.

I wasn't a fan of some of the calls in that game. Interestingly, though, I thought there was equal number of bad calls both way so I don't feel like it impacted the overall fairness of the game.

They said on the broadcast that it was the Louisiana head coach and Tennessee assistant, Gregg Polinsky. If Santi was involved, I'm not sure why they dinged Polinsky.
Reading further down the twit, a comment was made about Marlin saying Vescovi apologizing after the game so I think Vescovi was involved. Maybe all three were into it...Marlin, Polinsky and Vescovi? If so, the double T I guess was the proper call. Hell, it's March madness. Emotions run high. Stuff gets said during a physical game and the refs needed to get things under control before it escalated further. It's over and done. I wouldn't leave anyone behind especially vs Duke for a trip to the sweet 16.

Marlin was at fault here. His hot-headed reaction was to Vescovi daring to celebrate a pivotal defensive play in a close game in the vicinity of his bench? Ridiculous! Marlin said he told Vescovi that Vescovi was "better than that", which is something that Martin cannot look in the mirror and honestly tell himself.

Some would say that was your first mistake. ;) Sorry. Couldn't resist, but those talkin' heads sometimes just say whatever enters their head facts and accuracy be damned.

Did you watch the game or asleep by that point? The ref came over to the TV guys and explained what happened like they normally do in those situations. Maybe the ref was being nice to Vescovi.

Reactions: walkenvol and Zues1
Marlin was at fault here. His hot-headed reaction was to Vescovi daring to celebrate a pivotal defensive play in a close game in the vicinity of his bench? Ridiculous! Marlin said he told Vescovi that Vescovi was "better than that", which is something that Martin cannot look in the mirror and honestly tell himself.
It wasn’t Vescovi’s choice of words. Players can’t enter the bench area of another team. That ends in fights. Santi should’ve gotten a tech. The two coaches getting called was about as friendly as it could’ve been for us. Barnes made Santi apologize to Marlin after the game.

It wasn’t Vescovi’s choice of words. Players can’t enter the bench area of another team. That ends in fights. Santi should’ve gotten a tech. The two coaches getting called was about as friendly as it could’ve been for us. Barnes made Santi apologize to Marlin after the game.
Are you sure that's what really happened? Did Vescovi enter "the bench area" or was he already on that side of the court and was jubilant as he headed back to his bench? Did he go out of his way to break into the Louisiana bench and trash talk or was he merely on that side of the court, heading back to his bench? The articles describing what happened don't affix some egregious misconduct to Vescovi. The images that we did see were of an out-of-control Louisiana coach needing to be restrained by his assistant coaches, after being assessed a technical. Coaches talking to or going after players of the other teams is what start fights (e.g. Dean Smith, Dale Brown) The fact that the Christian gentleman Rick Barnes "made" Vescovi apologize should not be construed as evidence of wrongdoing, but rather that Barnes isn't trash.

Are you sure that's what really happened? Did Vescovi enter "the bench area" or was he already on that side of the court and was jubilant as he headed back to his bench? Did he go out of his way to break into the Louisiana bench and trash talk or was he merely on that side of the court, heading back to his bench? The articles describing what happened don't affix some egregious misconduct to Vescovi. The images that we did see were of an out-of-control Louisiana coach needing to be restrained by his assistant coaches, after being assessed a technical. Coaches talking to or going after players of the other teams is what start fights (e.g. Dean Smith, Dale Brown) The fact that the Christian gentleman Rick Barnes "made" Vescovi apologize should not be construed as evidence of wrongdoing, but rather that Barnes isn't trash.

Dear Matlock— I only have the accounts of people there. I await the audio and seismographic data. I’m not sure that your use of so many quotes is necessary. Bench area is not an exotic term. It’s fairly easy to understand where it is, and that as a player, one doesn’t go there. “Christian Gentleman” is more subjective, and is usually used during the sentencing phase of a small town trial. “Your honor, he was a pillar of the community and a Christian gentleman.” The recent Murdaugh trial in South Carolina is a good example of this.

The tv commentators said it was on the Cajun’s head coach and a UT assistant coach.

They were mistaken as it was on Santi. The same commentator gave credit to Santi for scoring a basket when it was 7’1 Uros who made the bucket.

Plavsic got mugged under the goal by at least 3 Louisiana players, and the official called a jump ball. Could they not hear the skin on skin contact, or were they out of position to determine a foul had occurred? Also, I thought went a player set a screen, they could not push the screened player. I saw many instances where the player setting the screen would extend their arms and push the screened player. Isn't that a foul or did they change the rule?

Plavsic got mugged under the goal by at least 3 Louisiana players, and the official called a jump ball. Could they not hear the skin on skin contact, or were they out of position to determine a foul had occurred? Also, I thought went a player set a screen, they could not push the screened player. I saw many instances where the player setting the screen would extend their arms and push the screened player. Isn't that a foul or did they change the rule?
To your first point, upon replay, Uros was fouled on that play not once, but twice, and at no point was the ball ever tied up or possessed by Uros and any Louisiana player. They never got a hand on the ball. Terrible call, and that crew was way too antsy on the jump ball calls all night.

I wasn't a fan of some of the calls in that game. Interestingly, though, I thought there was equal number of bad calls both way so I don't feel like it impacted the overall fairness of the game.

The refs allowed them to play last night. While I get frustrated with officiating, they have a difficult job. I went to the SEC tourney and Memorial Gym to watch the Vols play. There is so much hand checking and contact throughout each possession.
Players are tugging on jerseys and I won’t mention the contact on screens.

The game is so quick and the refs have a split second to make a call or no call. It’s frustrating to watch on TV as we see everything due to instant replay.

Santi doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt as I noticed during the games I attended that Vandy and Ole Miss both grabbed his jersey all game. Santi would walk over and tell the ref but nothing changed.

Reactions: Ratvol

VN Store

Back