I bet if you ask Arizona and Virginia…

Can’t take tourney wins for granted. That being said, having an 18 point lead turn into a one possession game was disappointing.

.....but, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo predictable of a Vol BB Win, right??

Personally, I think we need to be more physical. Louisiana was slapping our guys around but instead of fouls, they were calling jump balls. If that's how the refs are going to officiate, we need to be just as rough.

c5519ad2c524d1c83709d26ed549914b8dee1e2414e86cde01a0eea9d316a2b0_1.jpg

Can’t take tourney wins for granted. That being said, having an 18 point lead turn into a one possession game was disappointing.
I see it differently. Not every game will be a blow out, and we've had issues winning close games as the season wound down. Vandy and Mizzou leap to mind. It wasn't a bad thing to have to take a game down to the final possession and win it. We're not looking for style points now. It's all about win and advance by any means necessary. Win ugly or win pretty. Both count the same now.

Yea, should have put them away. That was a good matchup for us, bigger and more athletic across the board.

I think Duke will roll us unless we are exceptional from 3 point land. Hard to be too upset, losing your point guard is a huge deal.
Almost every school that has gone to the final four has had that one game that really could of went one way or another at a point and got real tight..maybe that was our guys close one….just trying to be a positive VOL

If only there was some person at the top who's job it was to keep the players focused and dialed in...

The only person I know of is God. I don't think there has ever be a mortal who could make kids (immature ones at that) stay focused for more than two or three minutes!

Reactions: feathersax
Either team would’ve been tickled pink with a 3 point win today. We did enough to move on. Vols Forever, GO BIG ORANGE!!! 🏀
I definitely agree...wins in March, no matter how they come...are all that matter. That said, the way we played against a very average Louisiana team, the insufferable offensive lulls, the missed FTs, the dysfunction and stupid turnovers...I sort of get the frustration. While winning is all that matters, it's not hard to see that sans ZZ, we are a bit of a fish out of water. We have regressed from where we were 3 months ago, and it isn't all ZZ. It's just all that much more exposed by his absence.

I think we can all agree that in the end, we'd happily take 6 straight wins just like last night because the final result is an NCAAT Championship, but I understand the frustration and the lack of positivity and optimism heading into a matchup with Duke.

Many have said it: It’s survive and advance in March. It doesn’t matter if you win by 1 or 20, a win gets it done and as this tourney progresses, you’re going to see a lot of tight games. I mean Houston should’ve blown Northern Kentucky out of the water last night, but again, it’s survive and advance no matter what. I really think Tennessee gets Duke and ends up with the big matchup with Purdue.

Reactions: TNVOLFN
I definitely agree...wins in March, no matter how they come...are all that matter. That said, the way we played against a very average Louisiana team, the insufferable offensive lulls, the missed FTs, the dysfunction and stupid turnovers...I sort of get the frustration. While winning is all that matters, it's not hard to see that sans ZZ, we are a bit of a fish out of water. We have regressed from where we were 3 months ago, and it isn't all ZZ. It's just all that much more exposed by his absence.

I think we can all agree that in the end, we'd happily take 6 straight wins just like last night because the final result is an NCAAT Championship, but I understand the frustration and the lack of positivity and optimism heading into a matchup with Duke.

Well put. I was aggravated last night. Not going to lie. Probably said something externally and internally I shouldn't, but I am glad to get the win. I'll take any win in March no matter how ugly.

That being said, I have zero expectations for a win on Saturday. Duke is the tallest team in the country, and athletic to boot. Just like Kentucky. It's a bad matchup for us.

Now, that being said.....no one seems to have any hope for a win, and the "experts" have their beloved Duke running to the national title game set in stone, which means we'll probably somehow beat Duke by 15-20 tomorrow afternoon. Because March.

Reactions: cncchris33
Timeout should have been used to stop the run when the lead was down to 12 or 10 at the latest. The run was stopped when the timeout was called. ORU let Duke get out to an 11-0 run before calling one and that set the tone for the game.

Reactions: TNVOLFN
Personally, I think we need to be more physical. Louisiana was slapping our guys around but instead of fouls, they were calling jump balls. If that's how the refs are going to officiate, we need to be just as rough.

c5519ad2c524d1c83709d26ed549914b8dee1e2414e86cde01a0eea9d316a2b0_1.jpg
That jump ball call in the 2nd half was pure crap. We had the arrow so I guess it didn't matter, but still ...

Timeout should have been used to stop the run when the lead was down to 12 or 10 at the latest. The run was stopped when the timeout was called. ORU let Duke get out to an 11-0 run before calling one and that set the tone for the game.

Great point. Give ULL credit, I never imagined them scoring on 5 possessions in a row, they were stupid hot for a minute.

Yeah and part of me feels when they went up 18 the players were already thinking about Duke. Not saying thats right but its incredibly hard to hold focus when you are up 15+ in the second half.

Probably but James has got to get his crap together if we have any shot at winning

VN Store

Back