Transfer Portal 22-23

I don’t think she’s going anywhere and that is his problem with retention. She loves her and I’m just not that impressed. He plays her way too many minutes and has the ball in her hands far too much ImO. That’s why others are leaving, not a good team environment from the outside looking in.

I was impressed when she ripped us to shreds, but I haven't watched any of their games this season. From the stat sheet, she is taking 4 more shots/game than she did the year before, and they aren't good shots because her 3p % has fallen significantly. My guess is she is getting stuck with the ball late in the shot clock and having to take bad shots.

IMO she could be coached to be a team player if there were talent around her. She has a great desire to win so she can't be happy at UL either.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I hate when you make sense. Though JH leaving and RJ staying was the last thing any of us geniouses predicted, it is true that what needs fixin in those two is probably best fixed where they are apparently headed. JH probably needs a reset after 4 yrs to fix habits. RJ needs a ton more 3 pt shots up in college practice and games. Also true that Jordy doesn't seem to have as much interest in NIL.

Boy that would be a hole in the heart without her next yr and a big ole hole in the stat sheets. That's alot of versitility to replace.

Just hope both will be happy and productive where they end up.

We can now rationalize why it makes sense for Rickea to stay, with the benefit of hindsight, but it sure seemed before the announcement that she was the "sure bet" to move on to the WNBA, right?

The story about why she will come out is a good and it very well could be correct.

On the flipside, it is hard to gauge personal attachments, desires to accomplish something big during their college career (the same thing that kept Peyton Manning on campus for an extra year), and who knows what other personal considerations. She, Tamari, and Rickea might be excited about having a three amigos thing going next season.

Rickea has been more out there on the social media/branding front but people could still be working on an NIL for Jordan. She will bet 72K as a first round pick. How much does she need to make the decision to stay financially feasible (factor in she could a masters on UT's dime)?

Ideal depth chart for next year...

First string
1 Portal... Need a PG that can defend, shoot, and not turnover
2 Portal... Need a great shooter/defender
3 Horston
4 Jackson
5 Key

Second string
1 Powell
2 Darby
3 Puckett
4 Striplin
5 Hollingshead
Very Rarely can you find a point Guard that can come into a new system and be an immediate impact. Powell will have a year under her belt in this system and will start next year. Mark my words. In limited minutes, she is currently in the top 7 in the SEC for assists and averages a 2.0 ass/to ratio. That is one of the best assist to turnover ratio's in the league. People don't like a play or two and be like, "We need a new point guard". Whatever..

The problem with your first 5 is that there is no 3-point shooter--you'd have to find a player in the portal who can shoot it as well as Darby (or better)
and play better defense.

Also, Hollingshead is a better offensive player than Key--and by next year will be even more so. Doesn't give us the shot-blocking, true. I generally think shot-blocking is overrated, but given how many times we get beat off the dribble it helps to have a paint presence. However, teams pull centers away from the basket, and that makes it easier for ball-handlers to get to the basket. I'm not nearly as high on Key as many people--very big, but simply not athletic. How many made baskets did she average before getting hurt? I'd say the answer is two, maybe three.
Maybe you should take a look at our opponents shooting percentages the last 2 years with Key in the game. The shooting percentages both years were about 9% lower than this year. Tamari Key is a difference maker for this team. Defense wins you those championships. Tamari's Junior season with 10.5 pts/gm and 8.1 rebounds per game and 3 + blocks per game are huge numbers and would be tremendously impactful on this years team. Jordon is the current leading rebounder with 7.1 rebounds per game. We really have no one this year to deter other teams from getting to the paint for high percentage shots. Tamari is the difference maker between sweet 16 and final 4. There is definitely a reason that mock drafts at the beginning of the season had her as a top 5 draft pick this year.

Last edited:
Ordinarily, I wouldn't attach jack to the smile or no smile of the poster throwing doubt on JH's return. But his source is connected and was right about RJ for weeks when everyone else doubted. Because the source has actual contact (and is not on the program's watch list as far as I know). So if he says JH is doubtful, it's probably right. Hope I'm wrong though.

On the flipside, it is hard to gauge personal attachments, desires to accomplish something big during their college career (the same thing that kept Peyton Manning on campus for an extra year), and who knows what other personal considerations
The personal attachment was the unknown with RJ. She was saying all the warm fuzzy things but who really knew if she wanted to do it all again. She did, thank you all things holy. It did occur to me that her staying was the LV equivalent of Peyton staying.

OTOH, we think we know about JH's personal attachment, but she may move on in spite of that. Sometimes you have to blast yourself out of your comfort zone.
How much does she need to make the decision to stay financially feasible (factor in she could a masters on UT's dime)?
Somehow I don't think it's about $ for JH. She doesn't seem very interested in NIL. From what I've learned about Terri and the BoostHer the last few days, if it took NIL to keep Jordan it would be there, just like it is for RJ.

Again, hope I'm wrong about this, hope the reliable source is wrong on this one.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't attach jack to the smile or no smile of the poster throwing doubt on JH's return. But his source is connected and was right about RJ for weeks when everyone else doubted. Because the source has actual contact (and is not on the program's watch list as far as I know). So if he says JH is doubtful, it's probably right. Hope I'm wrong though.

The personal attachment was the unknown with RJ. She was saying all the warm fuzzy things but who really knew if she wanted to do it all again. She did, thank you all things holy. It did occur to me that her staying was the LV equivalent of Peyton staying.

OTOH, we think we know about JH's personal attachment, but she may move on in spite of that. Sometimes you have to blast yourself out of your comfort zone.

Somehow I don't think it's about $ for JH. She doesn't seem very interested in NIL. From what I've learned about Terri and the BoostHer the last few days, if it took NIL to keep Jordan it would be there, just like it is for RJ.

Again, hope I'm wrong about this, hope the reliable source is wrong on this one.

You're depressing me!! Let false hope ring!! :) Oh well, perhaps time to start being grateful (rather than greedy) for Rickea and Tamari (two out of the three ain't bad).

Very Rarely can you find a point Guard that can come into a new system and be an immediate impact. Powell will have a year under her belt in this system and will start next year. Mark my words. In limited minutes, she is currently in the top 7 in the SEC for assists and averages a 2.0 ass/to ratio. That is one of the best assist to turnover ratio's in the league. People don't like a play or two and be like, "We need a new point guard". Whatever..

Walker played about 5 more minutes a game than Powell this season. Their assist totals for the season are almost the same, and I'd rate Powell
as a better passer than Walker, and she's bigger, which means something. However, Powell's offensive game otherwise is slightly worse than Walker's, which is not good. Walker shot 35 percent for the season; Powell, 32 percent. They're both lousy 3-point shooters. Not much difference between them with respect to turnovers: Walker 63 for the season, Powell, 55. Walker's steal total was more than twice that of Powell's. So if Powell is slightly the better assist player/passer than Walker, she's not as good defensively and she doesn't give us any more scoring punch from the PG position. In that sense their respective minutes per game seems about right. Powell has got to do more on both ends if she wants the starting job.

You're depressing me!! Let false hope ring!! :) Oh well, perhaps time to start being grateful (rather than greedy) for Rickea and Tamari (two out of the three ain't bad).
I know, I'm sorry. Maybe my original theory, that JH was holding out until Friday for an extra kick of mo going into the games will end up being true. But based on how right this source was on RJ all along, I'm worried.

And yeah, getting two of the three is huge. But not having Jordan would mean we definitely need a quick and elite perimeter defender. And before anyone says it, it isn't BK or KW.

She was close to averaging a double double last season, when fully healthy, did you just start following the team this year?

Ha: I've seen Key play plenty. She is very big. She scores about 2/3 baskets a game and then 4-5 FTs a game get her to 10 points a game. That's fine, but let's not pretend that she's a good offensive player. Hollingshead is more athletic and more versatile offensively, though she has to work on her defense and do a better job of taking care of the basketball.

Key's return and Hollingshead's emergence certainly gives the coaches some good options next year--especially the idea of playing a high-low attack with Hollingshead high and Key low, as the former can shoot well from 8-15 feet while Key basically scores very close to the basket. In that way they'd put a lot of inside pressure on our opponents' defense--as Hollingshead would have to be guarded foul-line extended and then Key will need guarding by a second opponent big. Hollingshead can make passes to Key in the low post. Alternatively, you could rotate the two, of course. I'm sure the coaches will try both and scheme based on the opponent. You can play high-tempo, fast-break basketball with Key, but only if you aren't going to wait for her to get down the court.

Ha: I've seen Key play plenty. She is very big. She scores about 2/3 baskets a game and then 4-5 FTs a game get her to 10 points a game. That's fine, but let's not pretend that she's a good offensive player. Hollingshead is more athletic and more versatile offensively, though she has to work on her defense and do a better job of taking care of the basketball.

Key's return and Hollingshead's emergence certainly gives the coaches some good options next year--especially the idea of playing a high-low attack with Hollingshead high and Key low, as the former can shoot well from 8-15 feet while Key basically scores very close to the basket. In that way they'd put a lot of inside pressure on our opponents' defense--as Hollingshead would have to be guarded foul-line extended and then Key will need guarding by a second opponent big. Hollingshead can make passes to Key in the low post. Alternatively, you could rotate the two, of course. I'm sure the coaches will try both and scheme based on the opponent. You can play high-tempo, fast-break basketball with Key, but only if you aren't going to wait for her to get down the court.
Key will be a 15/8 type of player next year. I’ll stand on this too!

Nah very different. Horston is a much better passer and she and Jackson have nearly the same number of attempts on the season.

Vanlith has 200+ more shot attempts than the next closest teammate. She’s not a passer and cannot create her own shot. Has to rely on mid-range jumpers, which she’s is good at, but not very efficient.

Makes their offense extremely one dimensional and makes them easier to guard.

Her numbers are a lot like Kea’s when she was at MSST. A volume shooter and volume scorer but it’s not benefitting her team.
You must not have seen her play.....She is all over the floor! And yes,she is a gunner

Reactions: 37620VOL

I actually agree with you on Powell. If she can get her shooting % up a few ticks, she could be the solution, but we still need another PG.

I actually agree with you on Powell. If she can get her shooting % up a few ticks, she could be the solution, but we still need another PG.
Especially if JH doesn't return, the other PG needs to be taller than JP, quick, and a very good defender. Wouldn't hurt if she could hit a 3 now and then. I believe that player, in combo w Powell will cover the position well.

Especially if JH doesn't return, the other PG needs to be taller than JP, quick, and a very good defender. Wouldn't hurt if she could hit a 3 now and then. I believe that player, in combo w Powell will cover the position well.
I’ll wait to back away from the ledge. I’ve grown comfortable out here… 🙃

Reactions: VolBall09 and glv98
Watching MIss State game J Carter would look good in Tn orange.

Not a player we need. We have a 5th year center returning, Striplin who started 3/4 of the games this season and proved herself night in and night out with her toughness, Hollingshed who has as much or more promise than anyone else on the team.

Not a player we need. We have a 5th year center returning, Striplin who started 3/4 of the games this season and proved herself night in and night out with her toughness, Hollingshed who has as much or more promise than anyone else on the team.
Is Kellie actually generating a little momentum?

Is Kellie actually generating a little momentum?

Yes, I really like the players we have coming back. Pissott and Hollingshed have potential through the roof.

So far everyone who has stuck with Kellie has improved significantly over their career. That was not happening with the previous staff.

I still do not think Kellie is the best Xs and Os basketball coach but you can’t deny her ability to develop players AND, more importantly, young women.

Pats legacy isn’t about basketball. It’s about building strong, confident women.

Yes, I really like the players we have coming back. Pissott and Hollingshed have potential through the roof.

So far everyone who has stuck with Kellie has improved significantly over their career. That was not happening with the previous staff.

I still do not think Kellie is the best Xs and Os basketball coach but you can’t deny her ability to develop players AND, more importantly, young women.

Pats legacy isn’t about basketball. It’s about building strong, confident women.
Met a wonderful example earlier today.

Reactions: Lucy and VolBall09
I had high expectations for Powell, but she has been a disappointment to me because of her lack of defense and the number of turn overs.

I had high expectations for Powell, but she has been a disappointment to me because of her lack of defense and the number of turn overs.

She actually had a really good assist to turnover ratio. Her defense was inconsistent and her scoring was nonexistent most of the season. She didn’t look confident in her shot or finishing at the rim.

She actually had a really good assist to turnover ratio. Her defense was inconsistent and her scoring was nonexistent most of the season. She didn’t look confident in her shot or finishing at the rim.
She got stuffed driving a crowded lane all too often. She needs to crank up her facila ‘tater

She got stuffed driving a crowded lane all too often. She needs to crank up her facila ‘tater

That is a “welcome to the SEC” problem. Seen many a player go through that. Walker really improved in that. She got stuffed a few times but she was much better about picking her shots this year.

If Powell sticks with it she could be really great. She has an opportunity to be the starting PG and play with a bunch of really talented players who can score the ball. She just has to want it.

VN Store

Back