'24 TN WR Amari Jefferson (Alabama commit)

Well if Clemson wants him at wr I'd say he's pretty elite
Our WRs even without Hyatt were much better than Clemson's this last year.
They haven't been dynamic there for a good while.

Jefferson is an intriguing prospect, but between he and a guy like Wingo, Harrell (commit), or Hudson. I'm choosing the later 3.

Baseball draftees almost always leave if they’re drafted in the top 10 rounds. It’s not like football or basketball, in which they’re all trying to play their way into R1 or R2 or come back. If a kid is a R9 pick, he’s probably gone.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Our WRs even without Hyatt were much better than Clemson's this last year.
They haven't been dynamic there for a good while.

Jefferson is an intriguing prospect, but between he and a guy like Wingo, Harrell (commit), or Hudson. I'm choosing the later 3.
Hudson isn’t coming here. The realistic top of the WR board is Wingo, Matthews, Harrell, Jefferson, McClellan and then depends on what position we’re recruiting some of those WR/DB ATHs at

Hudson isn’t coming here. The realistic top of the WR board is Wingo, Matthews, Harrell, Jefferson, McClellan and then depends on what position we’re recruiting some of those WR/DB ATHs at
You mean you don't think he's coming here.

Still recruit Jefferson, I'm just saying there's at least 5 other guys we have strong momentum with that are better than him.
We maybe take 3-4 WR?

Not anymore. Can make more NIL than a minor league deal.

Yes, anymore. Look at last year's draft. The overwhelming majority of top 10 round draft picks signed with a pro team. Many who weren't top 10 round picks also signed with a pro team. The NIL factor is way overblown in baseball. These kids aren't getting much of it, while being asked to pay for part of their scholarship. Go to the baseball board and ask Kirby Connell's dad (preacherman) how much these kid's are really getting from NIL...even the best players aren't getting much.

To be fair, part of that is that, if a kid is hellbent on going to school, he'll let teams know, "unless I'm drafted in Round __ and get $$$$, I'm going to school," then, if a franchise doesn't want to pay that, he doesn't get drafted in the top 10 rounds. Chase Burns was an example, but he's an exception to the rule. So much of MLB "drafting" actually happens before the draft, due to all the pre-draft negotiation.

Bottom line, NIL or not, if a kid is drafted in the top 10 rounds, the percentages say he's unlikely to end up on campus.

To be clear: I would be happy if Jefferson signed as a WR for the Vols.
- strong hands
- quickness (baseball skill)
- great hand/eye coordination (baseball skill)
- great feet
- Tennessee boy/multi-sport athlete from a In-state powerhouse.
- Great football name!

He would eat in this offense. Especially when we throw out to the boundary or the wide side of the field on tho short routes. Those quick hitch/ pick plays. He would dominate on those.
Also he plays physical.

Yes, anymore. Look at last year's draft. The overwhelming majority of top 10 round draft picks signed with a pro team. Many who weren't top 10 round picks also signed with a pro team. The NIL factor is way overblown in baseball. These kids aren't getting much of it, while being asked to pay for part of their scholarship. Go to the baseball board and ask Kirby Connell's dad (preacherman) how much these kid's are really getting from NIL...even the best players aren't getting much.

To be fair, part of that is that, if a kid is hellbent on going to school, he'll let teams know, "unless I'm drafted in Round __ and get $$$$, I'm going to school," then, if a franchise doesn't want to pay that, he doesn't get drafted in the top 10 rounds. Chase Burns was an example, but he's an exception to the rule. So much of MLB "drafting" actually happens before the draft, due to all the pre-draft negotiation.

Bottom line, NIL or not, if a kid is drafted in the top 10 rounds, the percentages say he's unlikely to end up on campus.
That makes for interesting situation.
NIL can grow as you do in college.
Baseball is whatever that contract is.

Football is the better sport. Playing in front of 100,000 in Neyland is unbeatable

Reactions: Smokey19rt

But baseball/football recruits are different from baseball only. If he wants to play both, he would go to college on football scholarship, not baseball, and get football type NIL, not baseball. Ones like this are interesting and not as cut and dried.

A lot of guys fell drastically down boards because they were willing to go college route with NIL. Chase was supposed to go round 1 iirc

Reactions: Smokey19rt
But baseball/football recruits are different from baseball only. If he wants to play both, he would go to college on football scholarship, not baseball, and get football type NIL, not baseball. Ones like this are interesting and not as cut and dried.

Perhaps. But it's still not professional sports money or even close to it. It's not as if college football players aren't still forgoing their senior years to play in the NFL early since the implementation of NIL. NIL didn't keep Jalen Hyatt in school and that's AFTER he had generated some value to his image and signed a deal with Hyatt Hotels. A kid like Jefferson, coming in as a freshman, doesn't have that NIL worth. He's not going to make nearly what he'd make as a top 10 round MLB pick as a freshman football player though NIL. So if a college football player is going pro as a junior after he's generated much more NIL value for himself, it stands to reason that if he had the opportunity to choose pro money out of high school with far less NIL money available, he'd choose the pro money.

Now maybe he just wants to play college football. We don't know what's in the kid's head and heart, and every individual is different, but I wouldn't count on him coming to school if he's a top 10 round pick. He'd be an outlier, NIL or not.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
A lot of guys fell drastically down boards because they were willing to go college route with NIL. Chase was supposed to go round 1 iirc

He was more of a R2 projection, but yes, I alluded to him as an example. There have always been guys who demanded certain numbers or said don't draft me if you can't hit that number (Kumar Rocker and Jack Leiter for example), even before NIL. So then they don't get drafted where projected because they're deemed unsignable. But for the most part, if a kid goes in Round 1-10, he's gone. Yes, there are exceptions.

He was more of a R2 projection, but yes, I alluded to him as an example. There have always been guys who demanded certain numbers or said don't draft me if you can't hit that number (Kumar Rocker and Jack Leiter for example), even before NIL. So then they don't get drafted where projected because they're deemed unsignable. But for the most part, if a kid goes in Round 1-10, he's gone. Yes, there are exceptions.
wasn't he also asking for round 1 money

Probably not a first rounder. I'm no baseball expert or anything but I haven't seen his name pop up in MLB Draft talks like that. He's athletic but he didn't really hit the ball against us when we played him. Drew a walk or two tho and made an insane catch when pitching haha. School plays them again this year at home to end the season. We got a pretty hard schedule but we could be the 2nd best team in our class behind a loaded Goodpasture team

Baseball is such a difficult sport to judge. I’ve heard all 30 MLB teams have inquired about him and he’s playing in an invitation only tournament in Cincinnati this summer. I think we all know athletes can be found all over the place, but not all of them can hit.

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back