The Tom Hanks Debate

Spacey is overrated, IMO. Leo 1m* better and was the villain in Django and does accents, which I don't think Spacey did. Edit, he did a southern accent I'm House of Cards

I think any white person in the world could portray a red neck slave owner and portray it pretty well. Just watch deliverance and rinse and repeat with a splash of antebellum thrown in.

Brad played an evil, crazy guy in Kalifornia. Came out in the early 90's

Forget about that. I worked at blockbuster then. He is a great actor on par with Cary Grant. I just think spacey is a touch above him and in Brando level.

Reactions: vols 30
I think any white person in the world could portray a red neck slave owner and portray it pretty well. Just watch deliverance and rinse and repeat with a splash of antebellum thrown in.

Have you seen the movie? He's not a redneck. He's the ruling class. I don't think this role is especially challenging, but I think what he did with it is awesome. The accent is great because he doesn't do what everybody does, and that's over-do it...but the point with Django is that he played a villain.

Leo's done a bunch of accents (Boston, Irish, South African all come to mind), and I wouldn't say he killed all of them, but he passed (because he didn't overdo it with any of them).

My favorite Hanks is when he plays a romantic lead. Yes, I'm female and yes, I thought the scene with Jenny/Forrest at the Washington Monument was chill bump romantic. I loved him in Splash, too. He's a versatile actor and has done everything really well. I think that would make him one of the best of the best.

If you are in a tough spot and see Matt Damon, hang out with him. Rescue team will be inbound.

I posted this somewhere else but my favorite Matt Damon story is he took a job as a bartender in Knoxville to be around Southerners and try to help his Southern accent for The Rainmaker. While he was doing that, WCW Nitro was in Knoxville and after the show The Nasty Boys and Harlem Heat went out drinking. They went to the bar that Damon was working and Jerry Sags of TNB recognized Damon and being already drunk started crap talking him for "picking on that Jewish kid" (talking about School Ties with Brendan Fraser). Steve Ray of HH had to keep explaining to him that it was just a movie, he wasn't really being mean to him.

Reactions: 95 Vol Alum
Have you seen the movie? He's not a redneck. He's the ruling class. I don't think this role is especially challenging, but I think what he did with it is awesome. The accent is great because he doesn't do what everybody does, and that's over-do it...but the point with Django is that he played a villain.

Leo's done a bunch of accents (Boston, Irish, South African all come to mind), and I wouldn't say he killed all of them, but he passed (because he didn't overdo it with any of them).

If a slave owner isn’t a redneck then I don’t know what is. I’m also not knocking him. He’s a great actor. Just not on spacey level.

If a slave owner isn’t a redneck then I don’t know what is. I’m also not knocking him. He’s a great actor. Just not on spacey level.

When I watch Spacey, I always feel like I'm watching Spacey. As good of an actor as he is, no matter what, it just always feels like a Weezer song.

Replace both and add Kevin Spacey. Spacey may be nuts but he can play nice guy, evil guy, crazy guy and each is amazing. Brad nor Leo have ever been villians. Neither has Hank.
Spacey can play evil and crazy so well just look at his performances in seven or in the usual suspects to see a fine example.

Reactions: kiddiedoc and NEO
When I watch Spacey, I always feel like I'm watching Spacey. As good of an actor as he is, no matter what, it just always feels like a Weezer song.
I would really enjoy you connecting the dots on the comparison. I am completely lost even though I have watched Spacey and I listen to Weezer. TIA

Reactions: NEO and 95 Vol Alum
I would really enjoy you connecting the dots on the comparison. I am completely lost even though I have watched Spacey and I listen to Weezer. TIA

Hahaha. I think Spacey is great. Weezer is one of my favorite bands all time. First concert. Own every album. Weezer is always doing new things. One album will be full emo. Another will be happy beach songs. One will be a throwback to 80's synth music. But no matter what they do, it always sounds like Weezer. I know why it always sounds like Weezer (Rivers' voice).

When I see Kevin Spacey doing anything, it's Kevin Spacey doing it. Not the character. In this case, IDK what it is about him, but it usually takes me out of the movie if it's something where he swings big, like KPax or Lex Luthor-type roles.

Reactions: McDad
Hahaha. I think Spacey is great. Weezer is one of my favorite bands all time. First concert. Own every album. Weezer is always doing new things. One album will be full emo. Another will be happy beach songs. One will be a throwback to 80's synth music. But no matter what they do, it always sounds like Weezer. I know why it always sounds like Weezer (Rivers' voice).

When I see Kevin Spacey doing anything, it's Kevin Spacey doing it. Not the character. In this case, IDK what it is about him, but it usually takes me out of the movie if it's something where he swings big, like KPax or Lex Luthor-type roles.
Thank you. Understand perfectly, now.

Isn't that phenomenon more common than uncommon for artists, though? As I have thought about the last sentence I typed (about 3 min) real time, I am having a hard time thinking of a musical artist who doesn't sound like themselves even as their style, or genre, evolves. I know there are some but I cannot remember any atm. I have thought of a couple of actors who seem to do it routinely... Gary Oldham and DDL.

Thank you. Understand perfectly, now.

Isn't that phenomenon more common than uncommon for artists, though? As I have thought about the last sentence I typed (about 3 min) real time, I am having a hard time thinking of a musical artist who doesn't sound like themselves even as their style, or genre, evolves. I know there are some but I cannot remember any atm. I have thought of a couple of actors who seem to do it routinely... Gary Oldham and DDL.

Yeah, I would say it's probably pretty common, but also I do think a lot of bands that do try to do new big things are actually pretty successful at it reinventing their sound. Even with Paul McCartney's distinct voice, the early Beatles and late Beatles are completely different experiences. Look at the Rolling Stones...it's always Mick Jagger, but I only like less than a decade of the Stones (which I absolutely love), and the rest I could completely do without. It's not like they sucked...other people love these distinctly different eras of the Stones. Early Radiohead vs. late. Daft Punk.

Pearl Jam is always going to sound like Pearl Jam. Same with Weezer. But I do think the uber talented who don't have those overwhelmingly recognizable voices can do a lot to become something totally new-sounding.

Also, I think a lot of the time it's a personal thing. It doesn't happen to me with Leo, but I can see that if somebody were to say that's how they view him.

Reactions: McDad
Yeah, I would say it's probably pretty common, but also I do think a lot of bands that do try to do new big things are actually pretty successful at it reinventing their sound. Even with Paul McCartney's distinct voice, the early Beatles and late Beatles are completely different experiences. Look at the Rolling Stones...it's always Mick Jagger, but I only like less than a decade of the Stones (which I absolutely love), and the rest I could completely do without. It's not like they sucked...other people love these distinctly different eras of the Stones. Early Radiohead vs. late. Daft Punk.

Pearl Jam is always going to sound like Pearl Jam. Same with Weezer. But I do think the uber talented who don't have those overwhelmingly recognizable voices can do a lot to become something totally new-sounding.

Also, I think a lot of the time it's a personal thing. It doesn't happen to me with Leo, but I can see that if somebody were to say that's how they view him.
I just thought of a band who has done what you're describing. Queen. They evolved and did different things with their sound even though when you hear them you know it is Freddy.

Any-hoo, good sidebar discussion. T.Hanks.;)

Hahaha. I think Spacey is great. Weezer is one of my favorite bands all time. First concert. Own every album. Weezer is always doing new things. One album will be full emo. Another will be happy beach songs. One will be a throwback to 80's synth music. But no matter what they do, it always sounds like Weezer. I know why it always sounds like Weezer
(Rivers' voice).

Give me 3 Weezer songs you really like.

1 full of emotions
1 happy beach song
1 80's throwback

Just wanted to drop this here because it’s funny. Not sure what it adds to the topic LOL

Reactions: n_huffhines
Give me 3 Weezer songs you really like.

1 full of emotions
1 happy beach song
1 80's throwback

This one's real good to play when you wanna beat yourself up a little bit

happy beach song

Here's a good one that sounds 80's style

Reactions: Behr
This one's real good to play when you wanna beat yourself up a little bit

happy beach song

Here's a good one that sounds 80's style

Videos sometime ruin a song for me so I liked them on spotify. I'll listen to them tomorrow morning on my run. Look forward to it.

Thanks.

Reactions: n_huffhines
I’d put him in the category of Jack Nicholson. Great actor who plays himself. Matthew McConaughey would be another.

Watch About Schmidt. It's the least Nicholson role of all time and also one of his best.

VN Store

Back