Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I hope this group shows out. Interesting enough I think Nkamhoua has only played in one tournament game and only played 6 minutes. Vescovi only 3 (played pretty well in 2 of them). James only in 3 (played well in 1 of them). We need all 3 to bring it to make it out of the first weekend.

Reactions: walkenvol
I hope this group shows out. Interesting enough I think Nkamhoua has only played in one tournament game and only played 6 minutes. Vescovi only 3 (played pretty well in 2 of them). James only in 3 (played well in 1 of them). We need all 3 to bring it to make it out of the first weekend.

Olivier needs to put up 20/10 numbers for us to have a run in the tourney.

Olivier needs to put up 20/10 numbers for us to have a run in the tourney.
If ON & JJJ can both go for 15/7 and SV 15/5 then I like our chances. Obviously other guys will also have to contribute, but we seem to fall short when one or more of those seniors don’t have a solid game.

If ON & JJJ can both go for 15/7 and SV 15/5 then I like our chances. Obviously other guys will also have to contribute, but we seem to fall short when one or more of those seniors don’t have a solid game.

Ideally the trio of scorers would be Santi, Key, Olivier....... JJJ does NOT need to try to takeover or be hero. We have to get a consistent post scorer and Olivier needs to sack up and get to work.

JJJ/Phillips/Aidoo giving 20-30 points per game would be huge. But I really think Santi/Key/Olivier need to be the anchors of our scoring.

Need a coach that wants players and his team to do well instead of a coach that is dead set on playing his type of ball.
Right on, but be careful here, even if it is fair and objective, you’re not allowed to criticize Deacon Barnes Warlick-Weekly or the pitchforks will come out! (Queue the “who ye gonna git?” losers) 😂😂😂

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
Right on, but be careful here, even if it is fair and objective, you’re not allowed to criticize Deacon Barnes Warlick-Weekly or the pitchforks will come out! (Queue the “who ye gonna git?” losers) 😂😂😂
Maybe bring back Donnie Tyndall for these bunch of get rid of Barnes fans geesh can't make anyone happy lose they bitch and win and they still bitch

It’s funny you say that considering none of you guys can come up with any realistic candidates to replace Barnes

Again...nobody on this board will hire the next coach of any sport. That's what Danny White's job is. He's done a pretty good job of it too. His former basketball hire is the overall No.1 seed in the NCAA tournament in Bama.....and his football hire just won 11 games and beat the world's darlings in Clemson and Daba Dab Ado.

Reactions: Pennheel
Gotta make a strong ass offer! So when Barnes retires, Will Wade’s rehab at McNeese will be complete and we can go full OG NIL. 💥

Again...nobody on this board will hire the next coach of any sport. That's what Danny White's job is. He's done a pretty good job of it too. His former basketball hire is the overall No.1 seed in the NCAA tournament in Bama.....and his football hire just won 11 games and beat the world's darlings in Clemson and Daba Dab Ado.

Exactly. If Barnes retires, chances are the roster is in great shape. On top of it, Tennessee is paying their coach 5-6 million dollars. There will be plenty of proven coaches in the P5 that would atleast field interviews / interest. This isn’t rocket science for the folks living in fantasy world that we somehow are sure thing to drop back to the black curtains pre Barnes.

Reactions: Pennheel
Exactly. If Barnes retires, chances are the roster is in great shape. On top of it, Tennessee is paying their coach 5-6 million dollars. There will be plenty of proven coaches in the P5 that would atleast field interviews / interest. This isn’t rocket science for the folks living in fantasy world that we somehow are sure thing to drop back to the black curtains pre Barnes.

Nobody is saying that the black curtains return. But the days of sweating out the bubble watch on selection Sunday will certainly be back.

Reactions: vol94
Nobody is saying that the black curtains return. But the days of sweating out the bubble watch on selection Sunday will certainly be back.

That’s assumption is about as valid as those saying we will hire someone who takes us to next level…..

I’ll take my chances of the program being just as good as Barnes has it rolling or better with Danny White dangling a 5-6 million dollar contract for a new coach to follow Barnes… Barnes has a done a phenomenal job but to this notion that we are going to be mid major shopping for his replacement seems misguided. This opening upon a Barnes retirement is light years better than what White had to deal with for the football opening where top in the country money wasn’t gonna seal the deal for proven coaches.

TN has been a big dollar program with a huge arena for 35 years.

After Barnes the high probability is that TN reverts toward the historical norm and not raising the bar from here. The SEC is loaded with equally focused programs.

Heupel wasn’t White’s first choice. And he didn’t hire Tony Vitello.

TN has been a big dollar program with a huge arena for 35 years.

After Barnes the high probability is that TN reverts toward the historical norm and not raising the bar from here. The SEC is loaded with equally focused programs.

Heupel wasn’t White’s first choice. And he didn’t hire Tony Vitello.

Danny White ended up on Heupel because he was a known quantity for White and vice versa. All the money in the world wasn’t getting a known and established head coach to come here from another top program for the football job.

White will have a program that is nationally relevant while paying top 5-8 money in the nation for the coach. This is drastically night and day different from the football search White had to navigate through dodging minefields.

Is it possible we strike out on Barnes equals or better coaches? Of course! No sane person would say no. But do I think we are gonna get rejected by everyone and have to “settle”? Not at all.

Danny White ended up on Heupel because he was a known quantity for White and vice versa. All the money in the world wasn’t getting a known and established head coach to come here from another top program for the football job.

White will have a program that is nationally relevant while paying top 5-8 money in the nation for the coach. This is drastically night and day different from the football search White had to navigate through dodging minefields.

White might not even be the AD when Barnes retires.

Barnes is fixing to be the winningest men’s basketball coach in Tennessee history.

But hey, you and the others keep making your ridiculous claims that he sucks.

Just glad I caught on pretty quickly to what kind of coach we have in March. 14 seasons at Texas and Tennessee and unable to advance past the Sweet Suxteen? C’mon, man. VCU, Wichita State, South Carolina, Loyola Chicago, Auburn and Texas Tech have all made Final Fours during that span.

I’d love for this to be the year I’d have to eat crow, but I’ll be shocked if TN gets out of the first weekend.

I don't see White going anywhere anytime soon. I also don't think that he's going to hire someone following Barnes that's underwhelming. I get that Huepel basically fell in his lap,and worked out... Whatever you think of Barnes whether it be tournament or regular season success, he has been brought a consistently winning program to Tennessee basketball. Because of that,White isn't going to be able to rest on his laurels after Barnes retires. People will expect someone to follow that,and I have confidence that they'll find the right man for the job.

Reactions: Native Orange

VN Store

Back