A View from Big Ben - Spring Tournament

London Vol

SPRING TOURNAMENT

Historically the breakdown of a football season is 8 SEC games (the meat of the season), 3 cupcake games (staging glorified scrimmages and to re-distribute monies to minor Universities) and an out-of -conference game (to allow games against other Power 5 opponents that are not in the SEC). Common consensus at present is that going forward we will have a 9th SEC game replacing a cupcake or the out-of-conference game This article is to suggest that Tennessee should host an annual 3 team tournament, held during Spring. This would consist of a Round Robin event with all games at the General Neyland Stadium.

THE TOURNAMENT

THE CHICK-FIL-A SPRING CLASSIC

This would be a tournament between three teams, Tennessee and two invited teams. They would play a round robin tournament as follows:
Saturday 15 April 2023 Tennessee v Team A @ The General Neyland Stadium
Tuesday 18 April 2023 Team A v Team B @ The General Neyland Stadium
Saturday 22 April 2023 Tennessee v Team B @ The General Neyland Stadium
The two invitees can be chosen annually pending the level of competition Tennessee deem best.
Example 1) Middle Tennessee & Chattanooga, example 2) NC State & North Carolina, example 3) Penn State & Clemson. The tournament winner would be declared by wins, or in the case of all teams having one win, then by points differential. The winners could receive a trophy named i.e The Trey Smith Trophy. The games schedule would mean that unless Team A wins games 1 & 2, the last game will be relevant (but even in that case scenario Tennessee would still be playing).

COSTINGS

Ticket Prices – You will only be able to purchase a ticket which will cover all three games (there will be no opportunity to purchase tickets for single games only). A suggestion would be that the tickets will cost between $80 and $100 pending on location of seat. but the ticket price is reflective of demand and therefore one would expect at least 80,000 tickets sold.
Teams – Each team will receive a suitable fee for participating.
Winner – The winning team will receive an additional fee, this should ensure that each match is of a competitive nature. This prize must be large enough to ensure that the matches are taken seriously.
Venue - Tennessee University,
Matchday Income – Food & drink concessions, programme income and any other matchday revenue streams will be the property of the University of Tennessee.

NAMING RIGHTS AND TV RIGHTS

Naming Rights - I used Chick-Fil-A as an example, but this could also be sold to any national name such as State Farm, or a local name like Calhoun’s or an individual name such as The Peyton Manning Classic. The objective of this is to maximise revenue.
TV Rights – With ‘March Madness’ finished there is a natural lull in TV opportunities for the likes of ESPN etc so this event would, no doubt, be welcomed by the TV companies and Tennessee University would be the beneficiary of this.

THE ADVANTAGES FOR THE FOOTBALL TEAM
The three matches will be held after the completion of the Spring Training Camp allowing Josh Heupel to assess how players have developed during the camp. Look how Jalin Hyatt and Aaron Beasley, who were only squad players last Spring, became two of our best players during the season. Also, a year ago it looked like Joe Milton would never take another snap at Knoxville and now he is our projected starter next season.
Coach Heupel would also be able to evaluate in gametime conditions which of the Early Enrolees could make a push for playing time in the fall, for example Nathan Leacock, Daevin Hobbs and, of course, the much-heralded, Nico Iamaleava. The coach may also choose not to expose some senior players such as GoBigOmari Thomas to injury, beyond say, one series.
Some might say, “what about injuries?” Well, players can get injured during practice or more accurately, every time they don the pads and unless it’s a long term injury like an ACL, they would still have over four months to get healed up

SUMMARY
The main driver for me for such an annual event is that, quite frankly, the season is simply too short. The distance from a new Years Day game to the opening game of the next season is 8 months and this event would break up those long months. The College Football business model has changed substantially in the last two years with NIL, The Transfer Portal and the realignment of the Power Five conferences, so is it time to also have some meaningful Spring Football as well?

I very much look forward to your comments or counter arguments.

GO VOLS

I love the idea, London. Bunch of places where we could tweak it, of course, every new idea is open to refinement, but the central thought is music to all us folks who want more college football.

But there is one significant problem: this doesn't fit, and I mean not in any way--not even the littlest bit--within the current NCAA calendar for college football programs.

NCAA has strict limits on # of games, # of practices, how long each practice can last, how much contact can occur, when in the year they can happen, what coaches can be present, and on and on. And it's really not the NCAA--this was put in place and agreed by the universities and conferences, then handed off to the NCAA to police.

Why? Why did we (our colleges) limit ourselves (our football programs) so tightly? Two big reasons (and probably a half dozen smaller ones): player safety, and academic rigor.

Simply put, the more a college player plays a violent contact sport, the better his chance of being seriously injured each year. And the more any college athlete practices, prepares for, and plays any sport, violent or not, the less time he or she has for academic study and attending classes.

As things stand, spring football games are entirely verboten. Except team-internal scrimmages in the spirit of a practice (one of the 15 practices allowed in spring camp).

To put your excellent idea into effect, we (the collective body of colleges and universities) would have to give completely new instructions to ourselves, and then direct the NCAA to monitor that instead of the old guidelines.

That's a big demand. Not very likely to happen. Spring inter-collegiate scrimmages have been suggested in the past, bare-bones versions of what you propose, but never got anywhere.*

But I truly wish your idea could.

Go Vols!

* Here's an example from 2012. Keep in mind, the article was written more than ten years ago. When it says the idea "is gaining ground," that was what the journalist thought back then. He was clearly not right.

[something weird is going on with the article I tried to link. Something between its name and vn.com's code keeps trying to recognize it as "media" (a video clip?) rather than the written article is (mostly) is. *shrug* Just follow this link, then click on the Bleacher Report article entitled "College Football: Spring Scrimmage Against An Opponent Is...".

are scrimmages allowed in college football in the spring? - Google Search

Last edited:
Reactions: Tnslim1
I love the idea, London. Bunch of places where we could tweak it, of course, every new idea is open to refinement, but the central thought is music to all us folks who want more college football.

But there is one significant problem: this doesn't fit, and I mean not in any way--not even the littlest bit--within the current NCAA calendar for college football programs.

NCAA has strict limits on # of games, # of practices, how long each practice can last, how much contact can occur, when in the year they can happen, what coaches can be present, and on and on. And it's really not the NCAA--this was put in place and agreed by the universities and conferences, then handed off to the NCAA to police.

Why? Why did we (our colleges) limit ourselves (our football programs) so tightly? Two big reasons (and probably a half dozen smaller ones): player safety, and academic rigor.

Simply put, the more a college player plays a violent contact sport, the better his chance of being seriously injured each year. And the more any college athlete practices, prepares for, and plays any sport, violent or not, the less time he or she has for academic study and attending classes.

As things stand, spring football games are entirely verboten. Except team-internal scrimmages in the spirit of a practice (one of the 15 practices allowed in spring camp).

To put your excellent idea into effect, we (the collective body of colleges and universities) would have to give completely new instructions to ourselves, and then direct the NCAA to monitor that instead of the old guidelines.

That's a big demand. Not very likely to happen. Spring inter-collegiate scrimmages have been suggested in the past, bare-bones versions of what you propose, but never got anywhere.*

But I truly wish your idea could.

Go Vols!

* Here's an example from 2012. Keep in mind, the article was written more than ten years ago. When it says the idea "is gaining ground," that was what the journalist thought back then. He was clearly not right.

[something weird is going on with the article I tried to link. Something between its name and vn.com's code keeps trying to recognize it as "media" (a video clip?) rather than the written article is (mostly) is. *shrug* Just follow this link, then click on the Bleacher Report article entitled "College Football: Spring Scrimmage Against An Opponent Is...".

are scrimmages allowed in college football in the spring? - Google Search

Great reply VFL-82-JP, you covered a number of restrictions I was simply not aware of (more evidence you Vols fans are just so knowledgeable).

Lets hope that the general concept gains traction with the fans and then the University might feel its in their interest to amend the rules and thus for no other reason, make a 'big pile of cash'

Reactions: Tnslim1
SPRING TOURNAMENT

Historically the breakdown of a football season is 8 SEC games (the meat of the season), 3 cupcake games (staging glorified scrimmages and to re-distribute monies to minor Universities) and an out-of -conference game (to allow games against other Power 5 opponents that are not in the SEC). Common consensus at present is that going forward we will have a 9th SEC game replacing a cupcake or the out-of-conference game This article is to suggest that Tennessee should host an annual 3 team tournament, held during Spring. This would consist of a Round Robin event with all games at the General Neyland Stadium.

THE TOURNAMENT

THE CHICK-FIL-A SPRING CLASSIC

This would be a tournament between three teams, Tennessee and two invited teams. They would play a round robin tournament as follows:
Saturday 15 April 2023 Tennessee v Team A @ The General Neyland Stadium
Tuesday 18 April 2023 Team A v Team B @ The General Neyland Stadium
Saturday 22 April 2023 Tennessee v Team B @ The General Neyland Stadium
The two invitees can be chosen annually pending the level of competition Tennessee deem best.
Example 1) Middle Tennessee & Chattanooga, example 2) NC State & North Carolina, example 3) Penn State & Clemson. The tournament winner would be declared by wins, or in the case of all teams having one win, then by points differential. The winners could receive a trophy named i.e The Trey Smith Trophy. The games schedule would mean that unless Team A wins games 1 & 2, the last game will be relevant (but even in that case scenario Tennessee would still be playing).

COSTINGS

Ticket Prices – You will only be able to purchase a ticket which will cover all three games (there will be no opportunity to purchase tickets for single games only). A suggestion would be that the tickets will cost between $80 and $100 pending on location of seat. but the ticket price is reflective of demand and therefore one would expect at least 80,000 tickets sold.
Teams – Each team will receive a suitable fee for participating.
Winner – The winning team will receive an additional fee, this should ensure that each match is of a competitive nature. This prize must be large enough to ensure that the matches are taken seriously.
Venue - Tennessee University,
Matchday Income – Food & drink concessions, programme income and any other matchday revenue streams will be the property of the University of Tennessee.

NAMING RIGHTS AND TV RIGHTS

Naming Rights - I used Chick-Fil-A as an example, but this could also be sold to any national name such as State Farm, or a local name like Calhoun’s or an individual name such as The Peyton Manning Classic. The objective of this is to maximise revenue.
TV Rights – With ‘March Madness’ finished there is a natural lull in TV opportunities for the likes of ESPN etc so this event would, no doubt, be welcomed by the TV companies and Tennessee University would be the beneficiary of this.

THE ADVANTAGES FOR THE FOOTBALL TEAM
The three matches will be held after the completion of the Spring Training Camp allowing Josh Heupel to assess how players have developed during the camp. Look how Jalin Hyatt and Aaron Beasley, who were only squad players last Spring, became two of our best players during the season. Also, a year ago it looked like Joe Milton would never take another snap at Knoxville and now he is our projected starter next season.
Coach Heupel would also be able to evaluate in gametime conditions which of the Early Enrolees could make a push for playing time in the fall, for example Nathan Leacock, Daevin Hobbs and, of course, the much-heralded, Nico Iamaleava. The coach may also choose not to expose some senior players such as GoBigOmari Thomas to injury, beyond say, one series.
Some might say, “what about injuries?” Well, players can get injured during practice or more accurately, every time they don the pads and unless it’s a long term injury like an ACL, they would still have over four months to get healed up

SUMMARY
The main driver for me for such an annual event is that, quite frankly, the season is simply too short. The distance from a new Years Day game to the opening game of the next season is 8 months and this event would break up those long months. The College Football business model has changed substantially in the last two years with NIL, The Transfer Portal and the realignment of the Power Five conferences, so is it time to also have some meaningful Spring Football as well?

I very much look forward to your comments or counter arguments.

GO VOLS
I have always wanted a spring season to go with the fall season because the lull is too long. One thing I thought of would be to maybe shorten the number of games played in the regular season and "transfer" those games to the spring.

Move a cupcake game to the spring, make it the scrimmage at the end of the practice. It can be the small school we are funding that year.

That way we arent adding any wear and tear to the players. And ideally to me, pulling a game from the fall would give another by-week during the regular season which should help with injuries.

I wouldnt mind doing something similar with fall camps too. So that maybe the regular season is only 10 games. You get the cupcakes to try out before the regular season, but there is enough time to allow healing.

Tournaments in the classic sense don't work for football outside of season end/bowls and lower division tourneys because you must have a week between games else injuries would be out of control.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I have always wanted a spring season to go with the fall season because the lull is too long. One thing I thought of would be to maybe shorten the number of games played in the regular season and "transfer" those games to the spring.

Move a cupcake game to the spring, make it the scrimmage at the end of the practice. It can be the small school we are funding that year.

That way we arent adding any wear and tear to the players. And ideally to me, pulling a game from the fall would give another by-week during the regular season which should help with injuries.

I wouldnt mind doing something similar with fall camps too. So that maybe the regular season is only 10 games. You get the cupcakes to try out before the regular season, but there is enough time to allow healing.
We are on the same page, there is too little football over 12 months. This is a multi billion dollar business and there is a demand for more. College Football has recently swept away rules that have stood for years and years, some may say better and some mayday worse, so let’s hope this one can change as well

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
One season for football and that is fall. Spring is for practice. No way in Haiti do I want the season split up. One spring game is enough, I have no problem with playing someone else in the spring but I doubt it would look like a real game with teams worried about injuries. With all the rules on practice hours I would have no problem with giving them a few more practice days in the spring. GBO!

VN Store

Back