Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

If you take out South Carolina, the rest of the SEC is 4 - 50 against AP ranked teams. One of those wins (and one loss) occurred because the LV's beat LSU. 2 wins (And the only out of conference wins against AP ranked teams that weren't won by SC) was by Arkansas.
The stats can be found on ESPN if you go to NCAA women's basketball, then SEC and then standings.
Numbers don’t lie

Reactions: lfvol
Number 1 with bitchy comments . Our AD is fully behind Kellie and knows the hell the team has been through ( I’m in Murfreesboro and I know way more about what happened to us ) . The game has changed and it’s a long hard slog to get to the top and not a sprint . Our coach has restored the culture and lady vol pride . She will have time to build us into a championship contender .
Go back tot his post, scroll down one frame and meet #2

If you take out South Carolina at 5-0, the rest of the SEC is 4 - 50 against AP ranked teams. One of those wins (and one loss) occurred because the LV's beat LSU. 2 wins (And the only out of conference wins against AP ranked teams that weren't won by SC) were by Arkansas.
The stats can be found on ESPN if you go to NCAA women's basketball, then SEC and then standings.

bUt TeNnEsSeE fInIsHeD tHiRd...

Reactions: Dansky
Number 1 with bitchy comments . Our AD is fully behind Kellie and knows the hell the team has been through ( I’m in Murfreesboro and I know way more about what happened to us ) . The game has changed and it’s a long hard slog to get to the top and not a sprint . Our coach has restored the culture and lady vol pride . She will have time to build us into a championship contender .

The game has changed? Please--nonsense. The game hasn't changed at all in the last 10+ years. And what "hell" as the team been through besides Key's injury? This sounds like a lot of posts we read during Warlick's tenure, arguing she needed more time or assistants that could help her with offense and defense. This is the end of year 4: What exactly has been accomplished in four years--and please don't say "restoring the culture." If she's restored our culture, why has our recruiting been terrible? It's only landing Jackson for a year that saved this season. Our "culture" is winning SEC and national titles. This NCAA tourney and transfer portal loom large, IMO. You have to show that you are indeed the coach to make us a national title contender. Has she done that?

The game has changed? Please--nonsense. The game hasn't changed at all in the last 10+ years. And what "hell" as the team been through besides Key's injury? This sounds like a lot of posts we read during Warlick's tenure, arguing she needed more time or assistants that could help her with offense and defense. This is the end of year 4: What exactly has been accomplished in four years--and please don't say "restoring the culture." If she's restored our culture, why has our recruiting been terrible? It's only landing Jackson for a year that saved this season. Our "culture" is winning SEC and national titles. This NCAA tourney and transfer portal loom large, IMO. You have to show that you are indeed the coach to make us a national title contender. Has she done that?

If winning the SEC and national titles is our culture, then why have we not won a natty since 2008? We are not far from some LA Tech alumni talking about how making it to the final 4 is their culture. Yeah, there was a time but the world has shifted.

Our last SEC title came under Holly in the 2014-15 so we have a drought there as well. On a more positive trend, Kellie getting the LVs back to the Sweet 16 was their first appearance since the 2015-16 season, so that reversed a 6 year negative trend.

The biggest issue i see for the LVs under Kellie is that her team is a mirror of the Pat Summitt's LVs in terms of playing style BUT South Carolina is the new Tennessee. They also play that style but have the current NC cred, the star coach, and the ability to get the kind of players to make that system work at a high level.

Just like Georgia under Andy Landers, could never beat Tennessee at their own game, it is hard to see how Kellie is ever going to leap frog SC in the SEC. But getting to be a solid 2nd best in the SEC could make Tennessee into a national force,

Key coming back buys Kellie a little time but she still needs some reinforcements through the portal (just how many depends on what Jordan H. decides to do). The recruiting is going to have pick-up no question or this will be a failed project.

Last edited:
But the difference is that it’s the women’s game and her status would get her the top recruits which is going to help her coaching just like getting the top recruits is helping coach Staley’s coaching
Tina Thompson and Sheryl Swoops had pretty good status's, but it didn't help their recruiting efforts or performances as head coaches.

Reactions: mcannon1
i think as an absolute statement that may be a stretch..... candace will get the best recruits because of her status? Leapfrog Staley, Kim and the rest of the top echelon? idealsitic thinking IMHO
I
I never made a statement about leapfrog you did I said she would get better recruits which would make her coaching look better which you said may be a stretch now I respect your opinion about that statement but where in my statement is leapfrog anyone I’m sorry but you added something that I didn’t say to make your narrative right

I
I never made a statement about leapfrog you did I said she would get better recruits which would make her coaching look better which you said may be a stretch now I respect your opinion about that statement but where in my statement is leapfrog anyone I’m sorry but you added something that I didn’t say to make your narrative right
got it all good

If winning the SEC and national titles is our culture, then why have we not won a natty since 2008? We are not far from some LA Tech alumni talking about how making it to the final 4 is their culture. Yeah, there was a time but the world has shifted.

Our last SEC title came under Holly in the 2014-15 so we have a drought there as well. On a more positive trend, Kellie getting the LVs back to the Sweet 16 was their first appearance since the 2015-16 season, so that reversed a 6 year negative trend.

The biggest issue i see for the LVs under Kellie is that her team is a mirror of the Pat Summitt's LVs in terms of playing style BUT South Carolina is the new Tennessee. They also play that style but have the current NC cred, the star coach, and the ability to get the kind of players to make that system work at a high level.

Just like Georgia under Andy Landers, could never beat Tennessee at their own game, it is hard to see how Kellie is ever going to leap frog SC in the SEC. But getting to be a solid 2nd best in the SEC could make Tennessee into a national force,

Key coming back buys Kellie a little time but she still needs some reinforcements through the portal (just how many depends on what Jordan H. decides to do). The recruiting is going to have pick-up no question or this will be a failed project.

Current circumstances are what they are. Just don't think we are at a point to jump on the "do something even if it is wrong" wagon. I have a lot of confidence in our current AD. Hopefully the entire ORANGE fanbase learned IT CAN get worse than not good enough. Timing and opportunity to fix the problem with change requires a knowledge set not available to the fanbase. Continuing to posture the question without some clear high odds solutions in play is what it is, and it is not a positive. Till some candidates wink back risk is not rationlally in play.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATLVOLFAN01
Current circumstances are what they are. Just don't think we are at a point to jump on the "do something even if it is wrong" wagon. I have a lot of confidence in our current AD. Hopefully the entire ORANGE fanbase learned IT CAN get worse than not good enough. Timing and opportunity to fix the problem with change requires a knowledge set not available to the fanbase. Continuing to posture the question without some clear high odds solutions in play is what it is, and it is not a positive. Till some candidates wink back risk is not in rationlally in play.
As an outsider, who’s obviously pretty aware of what you guys have dealt with since last NC, last FF, or whatever…. 1.) it seems that KJH is/has been a major step forward. Go with it.
2.) you ain’t LA Tech and never will be ! You are the Tennessee Lady Vols. The one and only. The program that set the bar so impossibly high. The school that played anyone, anywhere, any time…for the good of the game. Including an upstart team from Storrs…when we were all 28 years younger.

Injured Rae,Injured Horston,completely losing Key and Marta. 0 drama,0 grade issues, 21-22 wins per year. And you choose to discount culture but I don't.

I want to support Kellie. She impressed me as a player.

I believe she wants to honor the legacy of Pat.

To do so is to win a NC.

How tough or easy the schedule was is a thing of the past.

Win the SEC tourney and make it to Sweet 16. Those are steps in the right direction.

Recruit and win are the keys to success.
Recruiting is the key. Just have to do a better job. We had better sign some excellent transfers or next season will be difficult to see.

Not a thing has changed. The portal has been around for ever. NIL too. Closer to home SC has always been at the pinnacle of WBB. Now LSU has made a move too.

This may well be the dumbest post in the last 10+ years on this forum anyway. Selling out to support a personal agenda creates real credibility issues. A FAN can justify being a bit optimistic and hopeful for good fortune, but going the other way is hard to justify.

kellie might just be around as hollie. mudcat says even rats will agree. i do belive if final four happens next year or # champship even @Darth_Vol might say some kind words for kellie.
As great as the news today is, it does not dismiss the record she has as a coach and her inability to recruit more for the class of 2022, 2023 and 2024 still pending. Those issues will still be there when RJ is gone. The expectation was F4 by many this year (still in play) but the reality for some is SS with a “potential” E8. Does this help job security, I don’t think it does unless she captures here greatest season of not just making the SECG, but winning it and making a run to Elite 8 or greater. Anything less with Key, RJ and potentially JH should be expected. The next few games will dictate the direction of her path. Again, getting RJ back is a big boost, Kellie can’t screw it up or that’s on her and nothing changed.

Not a thing has changed. The portal has been around for ever. NIL too. Closer to home SC has always been at the pinnacle of WBB. Now LSU has made a move too.

This may well be the dumbest post in the last 10+ years on this forum anyway. Selling out to support a personal agenda creates real credibility issues. A FAN can justify being a bit optimistic and hopeful for good fortune, but going the other way is hard to justify.

Uh, the transfer portal, and most particularly the new rule that players do not have to sit out a year when transferring, and NIL agreements have really not been around for ever. For example, "Ooontah OoonT," often considered the best player of the Paleolithic era, had to sit out a year when she transferred from the University of Fire Making to Tool User State and she was eventually suspended for selling an image of herself carved into a stone block for 20 pounds of Wolly Mammoth meat. It really was a different time.

Uh, the transfer portal, and most particularly the new rule that players do not have to sit out a year when transferring, and NIL agreements have really not been around for ever. For example, "Ooontah OoonT," often considered the best player of the Paleolithic era, had to sit out a year when she transferred from the University of Fire Making to Tool User State and she was eventually suspended for selling an image of herself carved into a stone block for 20 pounds of Wolly Mammoth meat. It really was a different time.

How cute.... doubling down on dumb. Who "woulda" thought. Will follow along to see the heights or depths of this effort, whichever is the appropriate term.

VN Store

Back