The Outfield

NighthawkVol

It’s safe to say the infield is settled, with Burke, Moore, Ahuna, and Denton. We’ll likely see Taylor/Stark platoon at Catcher for the season. Right now, Taylor seems to be getting more time than Stark, but that could change.

That leaves the OF as the unsettled area of the team (at least in terms of position players…the bullpen is still shaking out too). Our primary contenders seem to be Dickey, Merritt (both will start somewhere), Dreiling, Booker, and Scott. Maybe Tears. I don’t think Ensley will start by SEC play, barring injury. And I love the potential of Chapman, but he doesn’t seem to be a contender to start right now. The way this shakes out also helps determine the DH.

Based on what I’ve seen thus far, I like the idea of going with Dickey, Dreiling, and Merritt, left to right. Tears has hit the ball hard every time he gets a chance…let the kid play DH until he shows he can’t hit. I think Scott is a late inning defensive guy, and Booker, until he can start hitting consistently, may be the same.

That starting lineup gives you options at DH. Last year, we platooned Moore/Burke at DH. This year, you have Tears, Stark, and Chambers as guys who could be the DH. Maybe Chapman works into that rotation as the season moves on.

It’s safe to say the infield is settled, with Burke, Moore, Ahuna, and Denton. We’ll likely see Taylor/Stark platoon at Catcher for the season. Right now, Taylor seems to be getting more time than Stark, but that could change.

That leaves the OF as the unsettled area of the team (at least in terms of position players…the bullpen is still shaking out too). Our primary contenders seem to be Dickey, Merritt (both will start somewhere), Dreiling, Booker, and Scott. Maybe Tears. I don’t think Ensley will start by SEC play, barring injury. And I love the potential of Chapman, but he doesn’t seem to be a contender to start right now. The way this shakes out also helps determine the DH.

Based on what I’ve seen thus far, I like the idea of going with Dickey, Dreiling, and Merritt, left to right. Tears has hit the ball hard every time he gets a chance…let the kid play DH until he shows he can’t hit. I think Scott is a late inning defensive guy, and Booker, until he can start hitting consistently, may be the same.

That starting lineup gives you options at DH. Last year, we platooned Moore/Burke at DH. This year, you have Tears, Stark, and Chambers as guys who could be the DH. Maybe Chapman works into that rotation as the season moves on.
Its cut and dry IMO, DD, JD and GM in the field and Tears at DH. I don’t question CTV’s coaching or talent evaluation ability but I do believe he’s uber loyal in all aspects of his life and career, as he has said numerous times himself, and that’s playing a role in his “infatuation” with Booker. Tears and Dreiling are making it apparently obvious that talent/production is outpacing experience and loyalty at this point. This isn’t MLB where you have 2x the number of games, KB has proven he can’t get it done consistently against our weakest competition, what says he suddenly finds it in Baton Rouge or Fayetteville? I can’t help but think CTV is overthinking this one; Dreiling K’s at less than 1/2 the rate as KB, has a higher OBP, takes BB’s at a higher clip and has more productive outs all while having more power upside.

Last edited:

Good post. I hope it's Dickey, Dreiling and Merritt although Scott does give me a lot of comfort defensively. Tears has a really good bat but I'm not sure what he brings defensively to the outfield. I figured him for 1B when his time came or am I mistaken? Just don't see how you can keep Dreiling off the field so far. Kid is gonna be a really good one by the time he leaves. With pitching, my biggest question is who slides in to replace Walsh?

Reactions: NighthawkVol

The only thing I feel certain about is Tears earned some more looks after that game he had last night. Morehead may be a tomato can but I don't care, he can barrel them.

Great analysis. Plenty of season left before Omaha to piece everything together.

Unrelated….I loved watching you run the ball.

I'm not THE Greg Amsler. I took the moniker when I first joined VolQuest a long time ago. Others were using names like GeneralNeyland, JohnnyMajors, etc. I picked GregAmsler because he was one of my favorite players as a kid and, since he's not considered a "star," I figured it would be unique. I set up this account shortly after and used it here for consistency. I left VQ not long after.

I regret it now because so many think I'm him and I don't want to give the impression that I'm trying to appear to be him. Unfortunately, there's no way to change monikers once selected. But I too loved watching him run...and block...and catch...

Good post. I hope it's Dickey, Dreiling and Merritt although Scott does give me a lot of comfort defensively. Tears has a really good bat but I'm not sure what he brings defensively to the outfield. I figured him for 1B when his time came or am I mistaken? Just don't see how you can keep Dreiling off the field so far. Kid is gonna be a really good one by the time he leaves. With pitching, my biggest question is who slides in to replace Walsh?

I've heard that there are questions about Tears' defense. Is he considered too slow? Just not expereinced out there? He has a great arm (reportedly). Strange that they're going with Dreiling at DH today and Tears in RF...with Dickey in CF. Dickey looks like a corner outfielder to me. Is Dreiling considered a liability in CF? He's looked smooth enough out there to me.

Regardless, both Dreiling and Tears have continued to rake today.

As for the Walsh replacement, I think they're hoping Lindsey fills that role. I thought going into the season it might be Halvoren, but it looks like they prefer him for middle/long relief.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'm not THE Greg Amsler. I took the moniker when I first joined VolQuest a long time ago. Others were using names like GeneralNeyland, JohnnyMajors, etc. I picked GregAmsler because he was one of my favorite players as a kid and, since he's not considered a "star," I figured it would be unique. I set up this account shortly after and used it here for consistency. I left VQ not long after.

I regret it now because so many think I'm him and I don't want to give the impression that I'm trying to appear to be him. Unfortunately, there's no way to change monikers once selected. But I too loved watching him run...and block...and catch...
If you’re interested, I’ve seen people tag Freak in a post and he’ll change your screen name.

I've heard that there are questions about Tears' defense. Is he considered too slow? Just not expereinced out there? He has a great arm (reportedly). Strange that they're going with Dreiling at DH today and Tears in RF...with Dickey in CF. Dickey looks like a corner outfielder to me. Is Dreiling considered a liability in CF? He's looked smooth enough out there to me.

Regardless, both Dreiling and Tears have continued to rake today.

As for the Walsh replacement, I think they're hoping Lindsey fills that role. I thought going into the season it might be Halvoren, but it looks like they prefer him for middle/long relief.
My question is how well does Tears play the outfield? He looks like a cat out there, but that’s from very limited information. Is he faster than Dickey? Might he be better defensively than Merritt? One thing is for sure, and that is that he smokes the ball consistently. Maybe he plays defensively?

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back