The Official Boston College @ Tennessee Tuesday Game Thread (3/7 6:30PM EST) SEC Network+

Just so all of the drive bys know, Top 5 Wake Forest lost to Coastal Carolina last night. And last week Top 5 Florida lost to unranked South Florida in the midweek.

It’s baseball. It happens. Doesn’t mean I’m not frustrated by the middle school level defense and baserunning I saw last night, but the loss means basically nothing.

Lot of veteran players from a 19-34 team. Also went 5-25 in said power 5 conference. Excited for the rematch in Omaha.
Let it play out. It‘s a new season. BC looks very improved and played last season with a freshman SS bc they lost their team Captain to injury 4 games into the season. Cimini is healthy this year and back at SS. Plus they have a couple of highly touted freshmen and at least one solid transfer. Plus their other team Captain, Burns at Catcher missed most of last season due to injury. Point being, BC is a much improved team over the 22 version.

Reactions: txbo and cardvolfan
Just curious. Would the sign come from the 1b coach since his back is the 3B coach? Could the 3B coach just use a code word to tell him it's on?
The rule is that both batter and hitter are watching the 3rd base coach. 3rd base coach confirms he has both sets of eyes on him. He gives squeeze sign. Then both players give the 3rd base coach a pre-determined confirmation sign back that they both know the squeeze is on.

Some of last night’s “fans“ at the game were pretty bad. I guess losing brings out the unseemly side in a few people. Yelling at Tennessee players by name, yelling FU, flipping off other people, the ump, BC players.
Fans that don’t know how to act. Add the fact that in some cases they’re plastered, it only increases the degenerate behavior.

Reactions: @1RBFjr
Let it play out. It‘s a new season. BC looks very improved and played last season with a freshman SS bc they lost their team Captain to injury 4 games into the season. Cimini is healthy this year and back at SS. Plus they have a couple of highly touted freshmen and at least one solid transfer. Plus their other team Captain, Burns at Catcher missed most of last season due to injury. Point being, BC is a much improved team over the 22 version.
The reality is that this is just one random data point in a long season that doesn't mean much. We didn't lose because they pitched their ace and we didn't play to win - but because they made more plays last night. Some folks need to stop waiting for last season's team to show up, because this is nothing like last year's team. Totally different construct and personality. The super seniors of last year are gone along with the gorilla ball. This team will need to win with pitching, defense, and execution(small ball). At this point, they are not there yet. Also, need to hope no more Catholics show up on the schedule for a while...

At this point, I think my lineup would be:

C- Stark/Taylor
1B- Burke
2B- Moore
SS- Ahuna
3B- Denton
LF- Dickey
CF- Dreiling
RF- Merritt
DH- Chambers/Tears/Kendro/Stark
This past weekend must be what Booker has shown the staff each Fall and after seeing it, I agree with them when he puts it together it’s filthy. BUT we’re 1/4 the way through year 3 on campus and he’s not putting it together consistently enough IMO to justify the innings he’s getting. He has a K/AB ratio of 40% which is awful. You can’t continue to have unproductive outs at that kind of clip. I’ve seen enough from Dreiling’s bat to show me he deserves an uninterrupted weekend start to fully showcase what he can do. CTV has said as much, in saying he’s earned and deserves more time than he’s gotten but he’s defaulted to “experience” i.e. Booker on more occasions than not. Time to let Dreiling get that experience.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
More disappointed that I thought I'd be,
I've seen a lot of mediocre midweek performances in 31 years going to games. This is hardly the worst. And was to a good team.

Solo HRs shouldn't beat your
Giving up walks - like in the 9th, will.
The double that was really an error.
Elander does take a lot of chances coaching 3rd
Not sure why the pinch runner

We still haven't lost to a bad team. Two power-5 losses and a team (GCU) that should win their conference.
Missouri is looming

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Except the Friday starter and rotation lost 9-0 to Pepperdine and BC was a 35% team last year. It's just baseball but it's not like we were going up against Paul Skenes and LSU.
Their Friday starter threw 2 innings. We had already “overcome their ace” when we took the lead in the third. It’s not like the guy threw a CG shutout and struck out 15. That also looked a lot like our ”regular lineup” and “regular relievers” out there (in case we were “not trying to win”).

This was a General Neyland “maxims” game. The team who made (far) fewer mistakes won.

Some of last night’s “fans“ at the game were pretty bad. I guess losing brings out the unseemly side in a few people. Yelling at Tennessee players by name, yelling FU, flipping off other people, the ump, BC players.

That blows! I noticed some of it some last year. Very unfortunate, especially for folks with young kids. Honestly, no one wants to sit thru that stuff.

That blows! I noticed some of it some last year. Very unfortunate, especially for folks with young kids. Honestly, no one wants to sit thru that stuff.

I was at the game and there were a few UT fans (guys) that were flat out embarrassing and acting like a bunch of jackasses. They were just under the Press Box yelling degrading words towards the Boston College players. Who by the way were beating us legitimately. Yet those guys continued to pile on the meanness. How embarrassing for our University. The ushers or stadium security needs to step in, it was clearly rude and mean. There's a ton of kids there too. It's one thing to call out the umpire, but these guys crossed the line.

I was at the game and there were a few UT fans (guys) that were flat out embarrassing and acting like a bunch of jackasses. They were just under the Press Box yelling degrading words towards the Boston College players. Who by the way were beating us legitimately. Yet those guys continued to pile on the meanness. How embarrassing for our University. The ushers or stadium security needs to step in, it was clearly rude and mean. There's a ton of kids there too. It's one thing to call out the umpire, but these guys crossed the line.

Yep. I’m just a guy on a message board, in Neyland you can dial up security. Should be able to do that at LNS too. They may have that, not sure.

Those guys kept yelling that the BC pitchers were quick-pitching and saying it was bush league. Did we think that was the case? Seemed pretty normal to me.

Except the Friday starter and rotation lost 9-0 to Pepperdine and BC was a 35% team last year. It's just baseball but it's not like we were going up against Paul Skenes and LSU.
Buddy I get the sky is falling however this isn't last year. New teams for both schools. We lost, it doesn't mean the sky is falling. It means we have work to do and I believe our coaches and players know that. They will get it fixed or find the guys who don't make the same mistakes over and over.

VN Store

Back