The Official Boston College @ Tennessee Tuesday Game Thread (3/7 6:30PM EST) SEC Network+

Because he crushed the ball all weekend. Batting over .300 now.
I think he’s batting .270 now after that golden sombrero. Before last night he had 7 hits in his previous 15 AB. Hopefully he doesn’t lose his confidence. We need him.

Some of last night’s “fans“ at the game were pretty bad. I guess losing brings out the unseemly side in a few people. Yelling at Tennessee players by name, yelling FU, flipping off other people, the ump, BC players.
Every fanbase has its crazies. Glad they came out to support the team. Not so glad they showed their asses.

Just curious. Would the sign come from the 1b coach since his back is the 3B coach? Could the 3B coach just use a code word to tell him it's on?
No, you stand on the base and turn and watch your 3B coach give the sign. 3B coach is usually positioned so the runner and batter can see the signs. All you have to do is turn around and look.

Reactions: drvenner
No, you stand on the base and turn and watch your 3B coach give the sign. 3B coach is usually positioned so the runner and batter can see the signs. All you have to do is turn around and look.
Thanks. I guess he couldn't whisper, "Dude, this is a squeeze play. Be ready."

Reactions: VolPack22
I will name a strength for you - pitching. Specifically weekend starters and I could go on.

Meh we made some mistakes, they will clean it up. And chill on the not being able to bunt, we just need to hit more bombs and forget bunting. Nobody bunts anymore.
CTV bunts...unfortunately. Way too many bunts and it cost us last night

You can always change up your signs in a dugout meeting with added cueing. Maybe say if I clap twice then a squeeze is on. You can do all kinds of things to let everyone know what’s on.

You guys.... lol they threw their Friday starter against our midweek guys... Congrats BC. This team will be fine. Need to work on base running fundamentals. Too many mistakes there but it qill get cleaned up.
Except the Friday starter and rotation lost 9-0 to Pepperdine and BC was a 35% team last year. It's just baseball but it's not like we were going up against Paul Skenes and LSU.

As great as last year's team was, they probably could've used another game or two like last night's to make them better in the postseason. The teams that get to Omaha and win it, tend not to be the teams that dominate the regular season, but get their noses bloodied over thew course of the year and grow from it. Look at Ole Miss last year. They barely made the NCAAT, then won the whole thing. On the other hand, look at Tennessee last year and Arkansas in 2021...both dominated the regular season, but failed to get to Omaha.

The base running errors were egregious. But they're nothing new. The players AND staff have to get better in that regard (why wasn't the 3B coach making sure Payne stood on 3B until the catch? Or did Payne simply not listen? Was he waving Merritt home on Dreiling's single? What happened on the miscommunicated squeeze?). But let's also acknowledge that the base running errors weren't the only issues. BC hit 4 home runs. The bullpen didn't pitch nearly as well as they usually do or will need to do, especially late in the game.

I'm not saying that to "call players out." I believe this team has plenty of talent and a very high ceiling. Getting there often means taking your lumps and continuing to improve instead of getting away with flaws by winning anyway, then taking the lumps in June instead.

I think that's a very well reasoned critique. Plenty of things to learn from. Base running, fielding, pitching...

A lot of players got to experience some very tense situations, and that is never a bad thing.

Could be a fun season to watch them find their way.

Except the Friday starter and rotation lost 9-0 to Pepperdine and BC was a 35% team last year. It's just baseball but it's not like we were going up against Paul Skenes and LSU.
So you think if we threw Dollander last night it would’ve been the same result?

We have to shore up our mental mistakes, but expected some adversity when replacing all 9 hitters and having all new position players. Games like yesterday will help the team grow quicker than winning “ugly”. I bet the players will focus on making better base running decisions, communicating better on pop flies, and displaying more grit and determination. The BC dugout was loud and really engaged all night. TN has become the hunted and we will continue to get everyone’s “A game” all year.

Some of last night’s “fans“ at the game were pretty bad. I guess losing brings out the unseemly side in a few people. Yelling at Tennessee players by name, yelling FU, flipping off other people, the ump, BC players.

These things usually don't bother me, but screaming at the top of your lungs when your own catcher looks to be unconscious on the field and the rest of the crowd is silent is a bit much

Too many critics that don’t understand baseball. Occasional Home runs happen when you throw strikes. Z would be a weekend starter on virtually every other SEC team.
AJ came in and looks a lot like Z. I commented too quickly without looking at the thread. It took a minute to realize the pitching change. Thank you for the kind words 🍊⚾

Reactions: taylorvol
Lots of mental mistakes which are fixable. This was the first game in the long series of easy victories where the team was challenged. They were not as aggressive on the bases as they had been. They seemed to be playing too tight to me.

Reactions: taylorvol
Be careful, he’s Booker’s personal bodyguard
Nope. I just don’t take pot shots at players, and actually focus on the positives while supporting the team. Booker has busted his tail, is a great teammate, and will win a lot of games for UT this season. Why folks want to run down players is beyond me.

BC is NOT a crappy team. They have a lot of veterans, play in a Power 5 conference, and have been playing really good baseball.
Lot of veteran players from a 19-34 team. Also went 5-25 in said power 5 conference. Excited for the rematch in Omaha.

VN Store

Back