The Official Boston College @ Tennessee Tuesday Game Thread (3/7 6:30PM EST) SEC Network+

Boston College Eagles (8-1) Overall (0-0) ACC
View attachment 539567
@
Tennessee Volunteers (11-2) Overall (0-0) SEC

View attachment 539568
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Playing its first home matchup against a Power Five team in the 2023 season, the second-ranked Tennessee Volunteers are ready for a Tuesday-night battle with Boston College at Lindsey Nelson Stadium at 6:30 p.m.

The Volunteers (11-2) look to continue their 11-game win streak and remain perfect in the homestand after a dominant showing against Gonzaga over the weekend. The series, which Tennessee swept, concluded with an offensive explosion from the Big Orange, culminating in 17 runs on 13 hits, with seven of those knocks being for extra-bases.

The game will mark the Vols' first midweek against a Power Five opponent since April 16, 2013, when they played Virginia Tech in the Hokie-Smokey Classic in Greenville, Tennessee. It will be the first midweek game against a major conference opponent played on Rocky Top since March 11, 2009, when UT hosted Louisville.

TICKET INFORMATION
Tickets for the games are available in very limited quantities at AllVols.com.

PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS
LHP Zander Sechrist (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. RHP Henry Leake (1-1, 4.22 ERA)

BROADCAST INFO
Tuesday's game will stream on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app with Andy Brock (PxP) on the call. The online broadcast can be accessed on any mobile device through WatchESPN. WatchESPN can be accessed through the ESPN App, or online at espn.com/watch.

Fans can also listen to the Voice of Tennessee Baseball, John Wilkerson, and Vince Ferrara call the action on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990) or via a free audio stream on UTSports.com and the Tennessee Athletics Gameday App.

SERIES HISTORY
Overall: 0-0 (First Meeting)
in Knoxville: 0-0
in Boston: 0-0
at Neutral Sites: 0-0
Last Meeting: N/A

NOTABLE
ONE STREAK WILL END

Both teams enter Tuesday's contest with impressive win streaks, but one will have to come to an end. The Vols have won 11 straight, while the Eagles enter the contest winners of eight in a row.

CROOKED NUMBERS
Tennessee's offense has proven it can strike for a big inning at any time. In last weekend's series vs. Gonzaga, the Vols scored five-plus runs in an inning on four different occasions.

MIDWEEK MASTERS
Under Tony Vitello, UT has posted an impressive 56-8 record in midweek games. UT is off to a 4-0 start in the midweek this year after two wins apiece over Alabama A&M and Charleston Southern.

OPPONENT SCOUT
Boston College Eagles

• 2023 Record: 8-1 (0-0 ACC)
  • 2022 Record: 19-34 (5-25 ACC)
  • 2022 Postseason: -
  • 2023 ACC Preseason Poll: 7th Atlantic Division
  • Head Coach: Mike Gambino (11thseason)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Average: Peter Burns (.400)
    • OBP: Nick Wang (.487)
    • SLG: Cameron Leary (.774)
    • Hits: Travis Honeyman (11)
    • Runs: Cohl Mercado (9)
    • RBIs: Patrick Roche (9)
    • Doubles: Travis Honeyman (5)
    • Triples: Travis Honeyman (1)
    • Home Runs: Cameron Leary (4)
    • ERA: Chris Flynn (0.00)
    • WHIP: Chris Flynn (.88)
    • BAA: John West (.152)
    • Innings Pitched: Chris Flynn (17.0)
    • Strikeouts: Chris Flynn (27)
    • Wins: Chris Flynn (3)
    • Saves: 4 tied (1)
ON DECK
No. 2/3 Tennessee rounds out its nonconference weekend schedule, welcoming Morehead State to Rocky Top for a three-game series beginning Friday night at 6:30 p.m. ET.

Tickets for non-conference home games can be purchased at AllVols.com.

I was watching the Vitello post game presser on You Tube and noticed a huge map behind Vitello with the state of Tennessee highlighted and was wondering, Is that a map of the road to Omaha?

This is what these preconference games are for - get the kinks out before conference play. We still don't have an up to speed Ahuna at the plate yet. It'll be big when he arrives there, and the outfield isn't settled, so the bottom of the batting order is still not settled. And the pitching depth is still in try-out mode for relief roles. These things will be worked on and sorted out and we'll put our best foot forward.

Some of last night’s “fans“ at the game were pretty bad. I guess losing brings out the unseemly side in a few people. Yelling at Tennessee players by name, yelling FU, flipping off other people, the ump, BC players.

Some of y'all...yikes.

Losing is not fun. But that is a game they didn't have last year. They got their nose bloodied, at home, and don't have anyone at all to blame but themselves. No rubber match, no 2nd chance.

That *can* be helpful. It can spur growth. (Or maybe its a bad trend and we aren't as good as we think, but I don't choose to think that way. That's not how baseball works.)

Vitello told ANYBODY that would listen in preseason "Look, we aren't the number 2 team in the country right now. We can get there, but we aren't anywhere near that." He said it multiple times. WNML, Basilio, etc.

If you didn't process that and get your feelings hurt over a midweek game...then I'm not sure what to tell you. Shoot, midweeks are weird anyway. Some of the losses are crazy week after week.

That was a game of the year candidate and we didn't win. Learn and move on.

Some of last night’s “fans“ at the game were pretty bad. I guess losing brings out the unseemly side in a few people. Yelling at Tennessee players by name, yelling FU, flipping off other people, the ump, BC players.
Bandwagon fans can be observed . Win a bunch and they want you undefeated... Don't happen in baseball. We'll be fine by tournament time . GBO 💥

I noticed quite a few college students there on TV so that may have been some of the issue.

Reactions: UTFanHades
Some of y'all...yikes.

Losing is not fun. But that is a game they didn't have last year. They got their nose bloodied, at home, and don't have anyone at all to blame but themselves. No rubber match, no 2nd chance.

That *can* be helpful. It can spur growth. (Or maybe its a bad trend and we aren't as good as we think, but I don't choose to think that way. That's not how baseball works.)

Vitello told ANYBODY that would listen in preseason "Look, we aren't the number 2 team in the country right now. We can get there, but we aren't anywhere near that." He said it multiple times. WNML, Basilio, etc.

If you didn't process that and get your feelings hurt over a midweek game...then I'm not sure what to tell you. Shoot, midweeks are weird anyway. Some of the losses are crazy week after week.

That was a game of the year candidate and we didn't win. Learn and move on.

As great as last year's team was, they probably could've used another game or two like last night's to make them better in the postseason. The teams that get to Omaha and win it, tend not to be the teams that dominate the regular season, but get their noses bloodied over thew course of the year and grow from it. Look at Ole Miss last year. They barely made the NCAAT, then won the whole thing. On the other hand, look at Tennessee last year and Arkansas in 2021...both dominated the regular season, but failed to get to Omaha.

The base running errors were egregious. But they're nothing new. The players AND staff have to get better in that regard (why wasn't the 3B coach making sure Payne stood on 3B until the catch? Or did Payne simply not listen? Was he waving Merritt home on Dreiling's single? What happened on the miscommunicated squeeze?). But let's also acknowledge that the base running errors weren't the only issues. BC hit 4 home runs. The bullpen didn't pitch nearly as well as they usually do or will need to do, especially late in the game.

I'm not saying that to "call players out." I believe this team has plenty of talent and a very high ceiling. Getting there often means taking your lumps and continuing to improve instead of getting away with flaws by winning anyway, then taking the lumps in June instead.

These are the football fans that are infiltrating. You can always tell an usher about someone’s behavior and get them removed. There’s no place for all that. I was at the SECT game whenever the ump stole that win away from us with the illegal slide call at 2nd base and everyone was giving him the business. I’ve never directed anything towards the players. The only time I got into it with another fan was whenever I asked them to stop leaning back into my knees at a football game. Dude was 20 years older than me acting like a child so I told the usher and they had him removed from that section. I did make a comment recently to Alabama fans at the basketball game but I thought it was harmless. Just asked them if they were ever going to beat us again in any sport 🤣

Reactions: @1RBFjr
BC is not a bad team, but TN didn't deserve to be in that game much less win it with all the just stupid mistakes. You run on the squeeze you win that game, you actually wait and tag from the very start on that fly ball you likely win. You don't let the second basemen back peddling 30 feet into the outfield call off center fielder you win that game. Every opportunity and just didn't take it. Far from the end of the world just a mid-week game but have to clean that stuff up
These are all true, but there are missed opportunities every game. Definitely need to work on baserunning. Pretty fundamental and these guys should all know it.

Reactions: VolPack22

VN Store

Back