Will Squirrel White emerge as a top WR next year?

Don’t disagree but that wasn’t the question in the thread. The question was will squirrel white emerge as Tennessee top WR. I said no that would be Bru!
Idk. I think both have their roles. White is going to be your home run hitter though and will take the top off defenses. Bru would be the guy I would be throwing to if I had to have a catch though. Bru is also a fearsome blocker when he doesn’t have the ball, I mean he knocks the piss out of people when he gets the chance.

Idk why y’all keep saying Milton had the best connection with squirrel it was clearly keyton he hit on like 4 walk in tds last year… this will be a fun season the run game will be stronger as well which will make the playaction shots even more deadly… I’m not sure if we will have a true number 1 Wr we may have 3 guys with 800+

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We should have excitement from these receivers.
If Keyton consistently gets open, this offense will blow the doors off people, because Squirrel just gets the ball and Bru is very strong like Tillman.
Thornton's body looks like Justin Hunter to me.
SO much upside here.

I think he ends up our top overall producing guy next year. Either down field or out of the backfield, he's going to be productive.

Keyton will be the guy that runs those routes that got Hyatt open last season. Very similar style receivers and he’s solid in yards after the catch. Squirrel will be targeted for sure, but I don’t see him unseating Bru or Keyton.

Wouldnt be surprised to see tight end (warrens) receiver snaps decline and us run more 4 wide sets. Keyton is a lock to start, as is squirrel in the slot and Bru on the left (I expect his conditioning to take a big step forward this year). Thornton might get moved all over the field to wherever the mismatch is. Don’t expect our receiving core to drop off at all from last year, which is par for the course in the Heupel era so far. Exciting stuff!

Keyton will be the guy that runs those routes that got Hyatt open last season. Very similar style receivers and he’s solid in yards after the catch. Squirrel will be targeted for sure, but I don’t see him unseating Bru or Keyton.
Keyton’s not the slot guy. He took over for Tillman after his injury. We saw Squirrel doing a very masterful Hyatt impersonation in the Orange Bowl…more of that. Only player cutting into either’s targets will be Thornton.

Wouldnt be surprised to see tight end (warrens) receiver snaps decline and us run more 4 wide sets. Keyton is a lock to start, as is squirrel in the slot and Bru on the left (I expect his conditioning to take a big step forward this year). Thornton might get moved all over the field to wherever the mismatch is. Don’t expect our receiving core to drop off at all from last year, which is par for the course in the Heupel era so far. Exciting stuff!
Heupel ideally likes to utilize two TE sets, so I expect to see Warren and Castle together on the field as much or more.

Heupel ideally likes to utilize two TE sets, so I expect to see Warren and Castle together on the field as much or more.
Very well could be but you also want your best players on the field as much as possible. Just saying Castles is an unknown at this point. Warren did not see as much action last year as I would have expected. Makes sense for running the ball. In passing situations, I’m betting on those WRs getting as much work as usual or more.

Very well could be but you also want your best players on the field as much as possible. Just saying Castles is an unknown at this point. Warren did not see as much action last year as I would have expected. Makes sense for running the ball. In passing situations, I’m betting on those WRs getting as much work as usual or more.
Good points, but Keyton, Squirrel and Thornton are unproven SEASON LONG options as well. So they have their own brand of unknown. The running game is vital in Heupel’s offense and two TE sets open up options. Not saying they’ll be deployed all game, but at least one will be on the field way more times than not imo.

Good points, but Keyton, Squirrel and Thornton are unproven SEASON LONG options as well. So they have their own brand of unknown. The running game is vital in Heupel’s offense and two TE sets open up options. Not saying they’ll be deployed all game, but at least one will be on the field way more times than not imo.
Good points. Disagree about keyton though. Played more than Tillman last year and came up big multiple times. Combined with his attitude and work ethic, think he will explode and be a star this next year.

Good points. Disagree about keyton though. Played more than Tillman last year and came up big multiple times. Combined with his attitude and work ethic, think he will explode and be a star this next year.
Keyton played more than Tillman but was never the 1st or 2nd target for Hooker after Tillman’s injury. Just don’t envision Heupel preferring four wide sets over two TE set when they vary. Guess we’ll find out.

We seem to have an embarrassment of riches with our WR corp. One that will apparently be led by the Albino Chipmunk and a bunch of Fe-Fi-Fo Fooms sized guys. I'm giddy imaging that with Javelin Joe piloting a B-1B Lancer firing AGM-158 JASSMs nukes at the enemy.

Source: Tennessee Football: Will Squirrel White emerge as a top WR next year?
I have a feeling Squirrel will end up the odd-man out unless Thornton is a bust and depending on what happens with Seldon. Keyton is not gonna give up his spot outside easily and Leacock and Seldon could be factors... If Thornton ends up mostly taking snaps at slot....the there are the other guys.. Every year so far Hype has brought in a hot transfer and some guy buried on the depth chart gets resurrected. 21 it was Jones, Payton, and Tillman. Last year it was Bru and Hyatt with Keyton kinda. It feels like his offense just works better with veterans. All the guys that showed out in this offense did it in their Junior or Senior years. Squirrel was good mind you but most of his big plays came in garbage time from Milton and more than half his total yardage came on 4 of his 30 catches..

That being said after seeing Hyatts weigh-in at the combine squirrel does not seem so small anymore.. can he put on a few pounds and be that replacement? he is already IMO a more complete WR than Hyatt was.. not hating just saying.. Squirrel is more quick twitch and shifty and can return punts.

I have a feeling Squirrel will end up the odd-man out unless Thornton is a bust and depending on what happens with Seldon. Keyton is not gonna give up his spot outside easily and Leacock and Seldon could be factors... If Thornton ends up mostly taking snaps at slot....the there are the other guys.. Every year so far Hype has brought in a hot transfer and some guy buried on the depth chart gets resurrected. 21 it was Jones, Payton, and Tillman. Last year it was Bru and Hyatt with Keyton kinda. It feels like his offense just works better with veterans. All the guys that showed out in this offense did it in their Junior or Senior years. Squirrel was good mind you but most of his big plays came in garbage time from Milton and more than half his total yardage came on 4 of his 30 catches..
That being said after seeing Hyatts weigh-in at the combine squirrel does not seem so small anymore.. can he put on a few pounds and be that replacement? he is already IMO a more complete WR than Hyatt was.. not hating just saying.. Squirrel is more quick twitch and shifty and can return punts.

To a large degree, your comments make sense. Just the same, I think with our wealth at WR, the Heup is going to rotate. Mainly, to always have fresh WR legs on the field, and just run DBs ragged. Which in turn will lead to more frequent TDs. Opponents, by now, know a lot about how we play, and will scheme accordingly. With preset plays, and fresh legs squads running in, not needing a play call huddle,the Heup will gas defenses, all game. Add in our RBs when defenses start to focus on the pass, it will be murder. So much so, Saban and Kirby both may ask the police to arrest and charge the team for it.

To a large degree, your comments make sense. Just the same, I think with our wealth at WR, the Heup is going to rotate. Mainly, to always have fresh WR legs on the field, and just run DBs ragged. Which in turn will lead to more frequent TDs. Opponents, by now, know a lot about how we play, and will scheme accordingly. With preset plays, and fresh legs squads running in, not needing a play call huddle,the Heup will gas defenses, all game. Add in our RBs when defenses start to focus on the pass, it will be murder. So much so, Saban and Kirby both may ask the police to arrest and charge the team for it.
IT would be nice to see them play more than 4 guys a game but outside of blowouts that's how it goes down lately. I am not sure if its because he prefers veterans or its the people themselves but if you look at it closely Squirrel is the only 'young' Wr Heup has given at UT any meaningful snaps. All the guys, outside of White, that have gotten large amounts of snaps have been Upperclassmen and usually transfer to boot. this could be because our young depth at WR is developing slowly because there is a lot of load on them. Even though a big deal is made that our WR's don't run a lot of complex routes trees they do have al to of responsibility. These guys have to run a lot of option routes and read coverage. Teaching a guy to run a route tree is actually a lot simpler than teaching them to run option routes and make the right choices. Maybe that's why he prefers guys with more experience.

Reactions: #1HomeGrownUTVOL

I agree with something you said. Heup will find someone new to use.

I wouldn't be surprised no matter who it ends up being. Whether its a scheme thing, or it just happens, Heup seems to find a player. I think its part of his creativity. Ok these guys are getting attention, so here is some "new" guy to slip in behind the D for a big play. Even if we don't have an All-American type, or even a 1st team SEC, just having an "it" factor guy, no matter which position he plays, is natural for this offense. And I don't think Heup is the type to force it to be a particular player. If you are open/make plays, the ball will find you.

If we do end up spreading it out a bit more, I could see an RB or TE being the #1 in targets. I would still expect a WR to have the most yards, but when it comes to a play we have to have, a dump down play could be huge in this offense. Especially for Milton as he doesn't seem to have the same pocket feel Hooker had.

Reactions: pimo1
I agree with something you said. Heup will find someone new to use.

I wouldn't be surprised no matter who it ends up being. Whether its a scheme thing, or it just happens, Heup seems to find a player. I think its part of his creativity. Ok these guys are getting attention, so here is some "new" guy to slip in behind the D for a big play. Even if we don't have an All-American type, or even a 1st team SEC, just having an "it" factor guy, no matter which position he plays, is natural for this offense. And I don't think Heup is the type to force it to be a particular player. If you are open/make plays, the ball will find you.

If we do end up spreading it out a bit more, I could see an RB or TE being the #1 in targets. I would still expect a WR to have the most yards, but when it comes to a play we have to have, a dump down play could be huge in this offense. Especially for Milton as he doesn't seem to have the same pocket feel Hooker had.
If there is a new Guy not named Thornton I would expect it to be Castle. I don't think it will be a RB unless one of the new guys is some awesome third down back (Seldon?) The main 3rbs we have now don't seem to be big pass catcher types?

Spring practices coming, the boys already running, with flames already flickering, the albino chipmunk is anxious to ignite.
1678662799586.png

Reactions: OrangeTsar
The most beautiful irony is that we snatched him from Clay Chalkville High School, Nick Saban’s back yard.
Hope the Squirrel goes into T Town this coming October and has a Hayatt-esque 5TD evening just to make a point

We don't have a WR as fast as Squirrel, he will be our deep guy ALA Hyatt last year and is a LOCK. Thornton is a big target at 6-5, 210 LBS. but he won't burn anybody w/ speed. He is around a 4.6 guy but a big guy and a big target with great hands. Probably a backup for Bru and Keyton.

The most beautiful irony is that we snatched him from Clay Chalkville High School, Nick Saban’s back yard.
Hope the Squirrel goes into T Town this coming October and has a Hayatt-esque 5TD evening just to make a point

Why stop at five when you can have ten? No, I'm not joking. With the WR corps we have, covering all of them, will force Bam-Bam and everyone else to double-team any one of them having too productive a game. Which means somebody is going to always be one-on-one for jump balls or sprint outs. Don't be surprised if we score on every 5th or 6th pass we run. I think our WRs will prove to be just that good.

Reactions: OrangeTsar

VN Store

Back