Game Thread: SEC FINAL; Lady Vols Vs SOU CAR...Sunday 3PM...ESPN

I'm still mostly in a space of not caring about what happens tomorrow. That may change tomorrow morning.

My biggest hope is that we stay HEALTHY. No injuries tomorrow. It feels like a handful of teams that were projected to do well in the tournament are dealing with injuries. and their ceiling as a team is much lower.

With ALL the issues this team needs to fix to make a deep run, staying healthy is most important, imo.
Injuries can happen, true, but Lady Vols are playing tomorrow regardless of the outcome, so why not go for it? Beat South Carolina!

Jillian and the posts need to pull up their big girl drawers.

If we can just get 30 pts from Rickea, 25 from Horston, 20 from Hollingshead, 15 from Tess, 12 from Walker, 10 from Striplin, 7 each from Powell and Puckett, and 6 from Kellie who will sub herself in when no one is looking, I think we can win.

It would be really cool If Harper and the staff she has to convince Cambridge from Ensworth to come to the HILL and wear that lady Vols uniform. Mains from Knoxville Catholic is a heck of a player to. But Cambridge needs to be a neccessity up there for Harper and the staff right now....

If we can just get 30 pts from Rickea, 25 from Horston, 20 from Hollingshead, 15 from Tess, 12 from Walker, 10 from Striplin, 7 each from Powell and Puckett, and 6 from Kellie who will sub herself in when no one is looking, I think we can win.
Puckett doesn’t need to play unless it’s an emergency. Don’t know if she’s in a slump or just don’t care seems lost

Reactions: Sportslady
I'm beginning to suspect one of our young players is newly in crazy, mesmerizingly potent love. Or at least SOMEthing seems to have distracted her! lol

Big win for recruiting moving forward. Both LV underclassmen commitments (projected 5 ⭐️’s are all over Twitter recruiting and that will certainly have an impact on other elite players in their classes in a year or two down the road.
However, a historically great program shouldn’t and doesn’t need to ever seek to recruit ANY player that is not showing interest in the program for reasons outside of basketball. Tennessee is still a top 4 basketball program (South Carolina, UCONN, Stanford, & Tennessee) in the country. If great talents like Rickea J, Jordan Horston, Rae Burrell, Tamari Key, and the emerging Jillian Hollingshead can follow the legacy of all-time greats that played under the late-great 8-time hall of famer Coach Pat Summitt then YOU never chase any player.
I disagree with X’s and O’s at times with Coach Harper, but in the near future people will realize that she revived this great program through her approach to getting this generation of players to respect, honor, and relive the greatness of LV basketball. It wasn’t easy or pretty at times, but Coach Harper and her staff gambled and won big-time. In addition Rickea, Hollingshead, Powell, and Franklin all are showing top level transfer recruits from Power 5 schools in the portal that Tennessee is a top destination and eliminating some of the bad narratives. This following the signings of Keyen Green, Alexis Dye, and Jordan Walker. Eventually the recruiting fallacy and constant bickering about lack of recruiting needs to be eliminated from the discussion. The staff plan has worked. There’s no valid argument that can be made against the recruiting success of Tennessee today. Justine Pissott will be a name to watch for next season and I expect a class of about 3 or 4 transfers depending on what happens with Marta Suarez. I expect maybe Jasmine Powell could return for the extra COVID yr of eligibility. Rickea J and Jordan Horston should turn pro. They deserve that moment and a shot at great careers on the pro level. Either way, looking ahead Tennessee can and will put together a Top 15 roster from the transfer portal. Three starters are returning(Hollingshead will start next season). Puckett, Pissott, Miles, Striplin, Wynn, Hollingshead, and Darby none of which I see transferring are a good core to build around with players that bring rebounding, scoring, athleticism, and perimeter defense through the portal. The program and brand is still elite. National TV and Social Media absolutely erupted last night when Tennessee stunned the world on the big stage.

Rocky Top is the move.

Last edited:
I still can't focus on this game. Sure hope the players and coaches aren't as emotionally hungover as I am. My lack of mental energy has me just hoping we keep it decent.

Here's a story hook for Peck if she can spare a sec from the required Boston fest: in 2020, freshman Rickea went on a scoring rampage, had 29 in the semis and led her team to the finals to play So. Carolina. What a long strange trip from there to this time. Of course you leave out the result of that 2020 final, and probably today's as well to keep the story positive lol.

I predict a valiant effort but SC depth and talent edge wear us down,
SC 67-55

I'm still mostly in a space of not caring about what happens tomorrow. That may change tomorrow morning.

My biggest hope is that we stay HEALTHY. No injuries tomorrow. It feels like a handful of teams that were projected to do well in the tournament are dealing with injuries. and their ceiling as a team is much lower.

With ALL the issues this team needs to fix to make a deep run, staying healthy is most important, imo.
Having the opportunity is all a team can ask for. I appreciate the way the team came together and played so tough yesterday. I know were facing a huge task a team loaded with superstar seniors is going to be tough game to win. I think we can do it underdogs win in sports we might just pull it off today.

Charlie Creme still has us on the 5 line. So we probably have to win today to host. Oh well. Hard for me to say we deserve to host when our first marquee win of the year didn’t come until the SECT semifinal.

USC is LadyVols several years ago. They are strong, talented and play hard. But it is one day. We need to defense them to make them uncomfortable. Some 3/4 court, some zone, we need to push them off the block, push them an extra step beyond arc. Jump some passing lanes. Not all the time but just enough to get them thinking and slow down their rythm! And make open shots and Rickea and Jordan make some contested shots! And rebound with their hair on fire!

Not expecting a win but we can keep this competitive if we take care of the ball. If they can keep it close going into the 4th they have a shot to do it.

SC is outstanding but the confidence we got from beating a very good LSU squad has to help our players a lot. I mean how can it not. Lets ride that momentum today

VN Store

Back