Butch Jones

Really great comeback story. All of us should be so fortunate to have an older brother like that. Also have to give Butch his due on how he handled this whole situation.

Perhaps, like our UT players, they succeeded not because of Lyle Allen, but despite Lyle Allen.

Not totally sure that's completely right on some coaches but it is always my go to if I don't like a coach. "They succeeded in spite of him not because of him". Great quote to have in your back pocket for hated coaches and Butch is right there just a little better than Cornbread as a HC.

Reactions: Post4Vols
Jalen Hurd is one of the most selfish players in UT history. Zero respect for either of them.

Hurd was my favorite but after he quit during the game, I had no use for him after that.

You don’t like Butch? That’s fine. But quitting on your teammates was extremely selfish on his part.

I think Butch was capable of being successful longer term at CINCY.
It was more his level. Everyone says he rode Brian Kelly's coattail's, and he obviously did. But he also recruited well up there.
Tommy Tuberville went 9-4 in his first two seasons after Butch. So CBJ left the cupboard full for him.
His spiel can work at a mid-tier program facing mid-tier and below competition.

Look at the 2011 and 12 stats for those Bearcats teams. They had good offensive numbers and the defense was effective. We learned how capable Jancek was when he had to be replaced with someone that was supposed to be a huge upgrade.
Butch's nutrition and S&C ideas were good enough at CINCY. Butch was Big East COY in 2011. You know, he really did look like a good coach who could rise to a bigger job. Lord knows he really believes in his potential.:rolleyes:

I bet ARKst would love to have Blake Anderson back. He was a winner there and tripped up once. and Butch has not improved the program at all and I imagine no coaching 'up and comers' want to "learn" under him.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
If only BJ had done the same thing with Jalen Hurd how different things would have been.

Beat me to it. I would add that it’s a shame he could spot Kelce’s talent as a TE but didn’t have enough sense to know how to get Hurd as a TE and Kamara on the field at the same time.

Butch Jones had a shockingly good eye for talent. He also recruited and developed the likes of Antonio Brown and JJ Watt along with his guys at Tennessee. One could argue he's put more future Hall of Famers into the NFL than Saban. Travis Kelce, JJ Watt, Antonio Brown, and Alvin Kamara look like probable Hall of Famers. Compare that to Saban who has got Julio Jones and Derrick Henry and probably no one else.

Butch was a terrible gameday coach but in terms of finding players he was great.

Butch Jones had a shockingly good eye for talent. He also recruited and developed the likes of Antonio Brown and JJ Watt along with his guys at Tennessee. One could argue he's put more future Hall of Famers into the NFL than Saban. Travis Kelce, JJ Watt, Antonio Brown, and Alvin Kamara look like probable Hall of Famers. Compare that to Saban who has got Julio Jones and Derrick Henry and probably no one else.

Butch was a terrible gameday coach but in terms of finding players he was great.

Developed, JJ Watts? Not so much.

First Stop: Watt was not a highly touted recruit coming out of Pewaukee, Wisconsin and the two-star tight end made his way to Central Michigan to start his college career. In his freshman season, Watt caught just eight passes for 77 yards and the Chippewas wanted to convert him into an offensive lineman. After all, he had grown an inch and put on 25 pounds since he arrived on campus.

Watt wasn't too keen on moving to offensive line and wanted to go back closer to home so he transferred to Wisconsin, where coach Bret Bielema allowed him to walk-on as a defensive end and redshirt.

J.J. Watt's gamble to change position and walk-on at Wisconsin paid off

Developed, JJ Watts? Not so much.

First Stop: Watt was not a highly touted recruit coming out of Pewaukee, Wisconsin and the two-star tight end made his way to Central Michigan to start his college career. In his freshman season, Watt caught just eight passes for 77 yards and the Chippewas wanted to convert him into an offensive lineman. After all, he had grown an inch and put on 25 pounds since he arrived on campus.

Watt wasn't too keen on moving to offensive line and wanted to go back closer to home so he transferred to Wisconsin, where coach Bret Bielema allowed him to walk-on as a defensive end and redshirt.

J.J. Watt's gamble to change position and walk-on at Wisconsin paid off

Good points. But the rest of those players developed under Butch. And you still gotta give him credit for recruiting Watt in the first place.

It's similar to how he misused Kamara but nonetheless did find a way to recruit Alvin to Tennessee.

I wouldn't say he developed Watt since he's on Defense and definately didn't develop Kamara. He underused him.

Reactions: WillisWG

VN Store

Back