Kieth Law's Early 2023 MLB Draft

SNAFU

5. Chase Dollander, RHP
Dollander came into the season as the top college starter, as he sits 95-96, touching 99, with good life up on the pitch and plus control. His slider was a 65 or 70 last year, 83-86 mph with high spin rates and very sharp, short break, but he hasn’t had it in two starts this year, with the pitch flat and barely breaking much of the time. Both homers he’s allowed this year came on sliders that might as well have been sitting on tees for the hitters. He has a decent changeup but barely uses it. He’s a top-10 pick if the slider comes back, but there are too many other college starters right now for him to stay here if he can’t regain it.

16. Maui Ahuna, SS
Ahuna just made his debut for the Vols on Tuesday night after sitting out the first two weekends while waiting for the NCAA to clear his transfer from Kansas. He’s a high-probability shortstop with an aggressive approach, showing good feel for contact even on some stuff just out of the zone but not a ton of patience. He collapses his back side when trying to hit for power, so he’s better suited to making hard contact even at the expense of some home runs.

I like his take on Dolly “not having it” in his first 2 starts.
I’m pretty sure that’s why MLB has spring training.
Not to mention this season is going to be compared to last years out of this world performance, which I don’t think is exactly fair or an accurate judgment of Dollander. It will be extremely hard to replicate last season.

New baseball fan here, working my way up the learning curve.

Question: Comparing to last season's HR heavy offense, will the difference in this team's hitting and scoring style change the way Dollander pitches? If so, would it show in his pitch selection over the season, or would it only change during games/situations that are close?

Thanks, in advance!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
New baseball fan here, working my way up the learning curve.

Question: Comparing to last season's HR heavy offense, will the difference in this team's hitting and scoring style change the way Dollander pitches? If so, would it show in his pitch selection over the season, or would it only change during games/situations that are close?

Thanks, in advance!
Only thing I see that may be different, is he may Pitch a little tighter and put more pressure on himself, but with that said...I doubt he will. He has stuff to win one run ballgames.

Most mock drafts/scouting reports have said Dollander is the best college pitching prospect since Gerrit Cole. That all changed in 2 starts?

I’d say he’s one of the best in the past ten years but it’s not clear cut who is #1.

His slider is sometimes not there which makes him overthrow the fastball.

VN Store

Back