Joe Milton outlook?

I appreciate the honest discussion DD. I'm just an average UT fan, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

From all accounts, Joe Milton is a good guy, a good team mate, and he has significant experience. His leadership and command of the offense shouldn't be an issue. And no one can question his arm strength. The issue, if there is one, is his execution of the offense.

From what I've read, the problem with Milton early in his career was that he tried to do too much. As evidenced by the overthrows. Alex Golesh said, "He learned how to play within the system and within himself . Two years ago... Joe thought he had to go win the game." The improvement was evident in the Vandy and Clemson games.

He is not the type of QB that's going to improvise and take a team on his back. He is not going to beat you with his legs and his elusiveness. He is more focused on taking care of the ball and getting it to his playmakers. If those around him do their job, he's going to be effective. If not, he's going to struggle. Don't be surprised if you hear calls for Nico if Milton has multiple bad games. UT has good receivers, good RBs, a decent line, and some talent at TE. There aren't any major holes on offense, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I look for Milton to execute and win the games we should. I don't expect the offense, with him at QB, to score 50+ on elite defenses. That's not really a knock on Joe Milton. That's just the reality of the situation.

Can you give us a rundown on the QB situation at Georgia? I know the names, but outside of a few opinions, I haven't heard much. Is it an open race in Spring ball, or is there already a leader?
It’s likely to be Carson Beck, but it’s possible that Brock Vandagriff pushes for the job.

Beck- 4 star redshirt Junior with a pretty strong arm. He showed much improvement last season in limited snaps. Known as more of a pro-style QB but has shown some ability to pick up yards on the ground.

Vandagriff- 5 star redshirt sophomore with a cannon. Very mobile from what I’ve heard but he hasn’t gotten many snaps so I haven’t seen him play much.

There is also 4 star redshirt freshman Gunner Stockton. I’ve heard great things about him but haven’t seen him play much. There has been talk that he is in the mix to and might push for the job but who knows.

Spring game will likely put one in the drivers seat. My guess is Beck or Vandagriff.

Looks like ball touch is coming around. I still wonder about decision making and running out of bounds....Excited to see what transpires with him

We have to replace two positions on the O-line, including Darnell Wright at right tackle. If that transition doesn't go smoothly, we could have problems. We are also thin at TE right now, and just one injury could hurt us there. We haven't stacked 4 and 5 stars everywhere like Georgia has. Depth will be an issue on offense everywhere but receiver and RB, where we have quality starters and quality depth. So, if we don't have more than our share of injuries, this offense will have the pieces to support Joe.

Joe is both a known quantity and an unknown. We know he takes care of the ball, doesn't fumble or throw interceptions, which is half the game. And that sets a high floor for him. I think his accuracy issues are mostly behind him, given how he threw it in the OB. But his decision making about when to throw it away and when to keep it and run was obviously not there in the OB. The question is, can that be overcome with more coaching and more reps? That part is unknown. Some say at his age he is what he is now. Others say that can improve. Who knows about that? I don't.

He's sort of a pro-style QB in that he isn't very artful at scrambling and extending the play, and he needs to stay in the pocket. But you can design run plays for him where he could rumble down the field like a big fullback.

I think the bottom line is that the coaches will try to tweak the offense to his strengths and weaknesses, and if he takes the coaching this offseason, it could be a very good year. If not, it will still be a good one.

Totally agree with your assessment on his strengths and weaknesses. A potential threat as a power runner on designed plays, but has proven to be ineffective as a scrambler and extending plays. Improved intermediate accuracy is promising, but not sold on his ability to make the necessary plays in key moments to win games.

Milton is bigger with a larger arm obviously. I think he will have a better group of players around him too. Castles is a guy at TE that may have been drafted if he would’ve went pro this year. Thornton looks the part. Squirrel is crazy fast. Bru may break out in his second season. And our backs are all back with another year to develop.

OT and our QBs rushing ability may be the only places we drop off, but those are significant factors.

One thing about the Clemson game is while Joe was good, it was also a solid team performance. Run game was good, defense made some plays upfront and even in the secondary. It was a really balanced performance, and that is what gives me a lot of hope for next year.

However, I don't want to undersell Joe; he was great, making some excellent NFL quality throws in the bowl game. Some absolutely gorgeous passes. Biggest weakness was he was awkward when a play would breakdown and not great making impromptu runs, like Hooker. But considering he didn't really have a backup, that could have been a little bit by design as well. Anyway, if Joe is good, he doesn't need to be Hooker. He needs to be Joe Milton and play good ball and that may look a little different. I think his run style could look almost more running back like as he has the size to plow through some dudes. Interested to see how Heupel adapts, and make no mistake, he absolutely will. That's one reason why his offense has always been good, regardless of who was QB.

Milton will be a factor, for sure. But really I have been absolutely sold on Heupel's ability to coach a team. We should not have been nearly as good as we were the past two years after having a depleted roster. I think even our fans underestimate us next year. Coach is the real deal.

Last edited:
I think the improvement on the defensive side of the ball may allow us to continue to score in the 40‘s per game, because we may get more possessions, which may mitigate some inconsistency from Milton. We have big play potential on every play due to Milton’s big arm and talent at WR, (frankly I would have at least one WR to go deep on every play even if as a decoy), so if opposing defenses try and protect the big play, I’m anticipating our rush offense will improve next year. Defensive backs will have nightmares thinking about this offense. We just need to execute. If defenses have to drop safeties in the box they are going to have to guess and play odds that Milton will “miss” on the deep throws. It is going to come down to whether UT can drive down the field efficiently and not make mistakes (ie: penalties).

Personnel wise, our depth at WR and RB on paper is improved. TE is a bit of a question. Offensive line has more bodies and depth but need to replace a NFL caliber right tackle. One area we really need to improve on is checking down to RB on pass plays and screens.

The vols could have the best qb, wr, rb, de, lb, fs, in the country, and not one would get to ny

Reactions: Ratvol
This staff seems to excel at player development and maximizing Player's strengths. This will be Joe's third year in this offense. I'll go on record now and say the next edition Vols offense will be the most prolific in school history, and Joe will get an invite. They will do everything they can to make this offense Joe friendly. I'm excited to see them next season.
^^^This all day^^^

This staff seems to excel at player development and maximizing Player's strengths. This will be Joe's third year in this offense. I'll go on record now and say the next edition Vols offense will be the most prolific in school history, and Joe will get an invite. They will do everything they can to make this offense Joe friendly. I'm excited to see them next season.

For all of last year, Joe was primarily in during mop up duty where game situations did not warrant a lot of risk making plays running the ball, or when he was the starter with walkon backups. Bet the instructions and gameplans did not give him a lot of latitude to improvise. Not a big surprise we did not see a bunch of designed QB draws or runs putting him at risk. It COULD be a lot different if Nico, with lots more time to pick up the offense after arriving early and having a full spring, shows prepared to pick up the mantel if Joe goes down. Everything could be on the table and we can see what his run abilities really are when it really counts or he has a P5 backup.

To some extent it is likely a lot of his overthrows were putting the ball where ONLY his guy could could get it, or more importantly the other guys could not. Not encouraged to fit it in tight windows. I don't expect him to go Brett Farve on us this year, but do believe more risk will be in play when he starts game, like 50/50 balls and back shoulder throws that HH employed as the starter with backup. Lots of game prep reps with the receivers to develop trust in making the same reads is Key. Will he or won't he?

Right now using his historical plays from his early days or in last years role to establish probabilities is a bit of a reach. The good news is he has the arm to make any throw HH did, so good POSSIBILITIES are out there that don't exist equally for very many if any guys in the NCAA. Gamer skills all TBD. Receivers ability to create windows within the play structure, or when it breaks down too. Also as alluded to, the staff will be tailoring playbooks and gameplans to his strengths. We can start gathering relevant data in the spring, but won't have real facts till the games count. Predictions of doom or Heisman's is a bit of a reach and worthless till then. I am HOPING that we find he is a better short yardage runner than HH, but don't expect him to match his dynamic runs. Really could use better 3rd and 4th down and short conversions.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think Joe has a solid to very good year I just wish he was more mobile. Hooker got out of trouble in the pocket so many times and broke off on a 25 or 40 yard run. I don’t see Joe doing that.

Reactions: StickMan
the 2 td's in the back of end zone at the orange bowl..laser throws that hooker would not throw,he would just take off or dump it short.very few qb's can make that throw with tight coverage..joe made it look easy.joe stays healthy,i think we are going to have a very nice season.quick thought on nico,he will rewrite the record books.

Looks like ball touch is coming around. I still wonder about decision making and running out of bounds....Excited to see what transpires with him

Me? I prefer thinking about JoMil's encouraging and MVP performance in the Orange Bowl. That is, forget what was and focus on what is.
Go, go, go, go go. Go, Javelin Joe, go, go, go!
1678273132527.png

In his first season he acted like he was afraid to get hit; I couldn't believe a human of his size would just bow up at contact, but last year I actually saw him truck someone. So that issue is on much better footing now. After seeing him last year, I think he can be a better thrower than Hooker, but the sample size was not enough. He looked great in mop up duty, but Ball St. is not UGA. He was hot and cold vs Vandy, but that was in a driving rain storm with strong winds. Other than a few against Vandy in the storm, his deep ball last year was unbelievable, but some times he lacks touch; he sometimes needs to throw the change up rather than the fastball. He is not nearly as good of a runner as Hooker; he lacks Hookers vision, and not quite as athletic in the run game. I followed him for a year at Michigan too, after my son started there, and he has come a million miles, but still needs some refining, but I expect a very good season for him. Our schedule is a little lighter this year also; this should help him also.

The kid is a worker, from what I understand. I think this off-season will be big for him. Heupel develops QBs. He’ll put it all together this year. That Orange Bowl was big for him.

I will let you know what I think in the middle of October. He threw some nice passes in the Orange bowl, but I did not see much when he had to run the ball. He will have all Spring and Fall to prepare. Hope he becomes the real deal.

We are really going to need someone to come in and fill Darnell’s shoes at left tackle. Joe can have a big year, but he needs good protection and he needs to get through his progressions a little faster. He can’t be indecisive in his the pocket .

Reactions: VolDaddy61
I will let you know what I think in the middle of October. He threw some nice passes in the Orange bowl, but I did not see much when he had to run the ball. He will have all Spring and Fall to prepare. Hope he becomes the real deal.

Regarding JoMil's running, you can't expect an M1A Abrams tank to perform like a Formula 500 car. Rare is it you see a big bodied QB being a good runner. Ben Roethlisberger, Jared Lorenzen, JaMarcus Russel, were mainly lumbering diesel trucks. Especially compared to QBs like Roger Staubach, Tony Robinson, Condredge Holloway Jr., or Fran Tarekenton. Sure, there have been/are exceptions, but as a general rule, a truck is a truck, whether or not it's pulling a duck.

Reactions: Samthebam
I get really tired of hearing this from UT Fans. I would have all the respect in the world for him if he told the voters that they can stick that trophy where the sun does not shine. They are NOT VOTING for him and any of the future TN players to get that award.

Regarding JoMil's running, you can't expect an M1A Abrams tank to perform like a Formula 500 car. Rare is it you see a big bodied QB being a good runner. Ben Roethlisberger, Jared Lorenzen, JaMarcus Russel, were mainly lumbering diesel trucks. Especially compared to QBs like Roger Staubach, Tony Robinson, Condredge Holloway Jr., or Fran Tarekenton. Sure, there have been/are exceptions, but as a general rule, a truck is a truck, whether or not it's pulling a duck.
I do expect a tank to run with some authority and not turn his back to the tackler, especially when he needs only 1-2 yards to get a first down. He may be a big guy who can throw a ball 70 yards but he appears to be afraid to get hit. Maybe he can toughen up just a little bit before the season starts.

Reactions: Orange12 and lynnh
First off this is not a feeble attempt at trolling, I hope you folks that remember me understand that’s not why I’m here. No, honestly I’d just like your opinions or honest outlooks for Milton. I’d ask the same on my home team forum and while there are a few that try to give honest evaluations there are many more that don’t care and just post something ridiculous and basically just repeat the “overthrow Joe mantra”.

My uneducated opinion, as I very likely know much less about Milton than you folks is that I honestly think he could potentially be very good in CJH’s offense. He looked promising in the bowl game against Clemson. He without doubt has an arm that is capable of making any throw at this level or the next. And it isn’t uncommon in college football to see a QB that struggles early in his career really shine towards the end. And correct me if I’m remembering wrong, but didn’t he beat out Hooker to begin the 2021 season?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a GA fan so I don’t want to see Milton take my Dawgs to school. But I’m also a CFB fan so I’d be pleased to see an overlooked older player get things together and do well. So what are your thoughts VolNation? Can Milton shine in 2023? Seems like a CJH offense is a pretty good setting for him to me.

My prediction and I was no Milton fan. That is until I saw him beat Clemson which had a decent defense last year. My prediction is Milton will have a better season than either QB playing for Bama or Georgia. Let the bodies hit the floor {mic drop}

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I appreciate the honest discussion DD. I'm just an average UT fan, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

From all accounts, Joe Milton is a good guy, a good team mate, and he has significant experience. His leadership and command of the offense shouldn't be an issue. And no one can question his arm strength. The issue, if there is one, is his execution of the offense.

From what I've read, the problem with Milton early in his career was that he tried to do too much. As evidenced by the overthrows. Alex Golesh said, "He learned how to play within the system and within himself . Two years ago... Joe thought he had to go win the game." The improvement was evident in the Vandy and Clemson games.

He is not the type of QB that's going to improvise and take a team on his back. He is not going to beat you with his legs and his elusiveness. He is more focused on taking care of the ball and getting it to his playmakers. If those around him do their job, he's going to be effective. If not, he's going to struggle. Don't be surprised if you hear calls for Nico if Milton has multiple bad games. UT has good receivers, good RBs, a decent line, and some talent at TE. There aren't any major holes on offense, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I look for Milton to execute and win the games we should. I don't expect the offense, with him at QB, to score 50+ on elite defenses. That's not really a knock on Joe Milton. That's just the reality of the situation.

Can you give us a rundown on the QB situation at Georgia? I know the names, but outside of a few opinions, I haven't heard much. Is it an open race in Spring ball, or is there already a leader?
💯 percent correct nobody will win Heisman from TN.....Peyton Manning should have won going away ESPN made sure it didn't happen HH had no chance before knee injury only in minds Vol fans.......

I do expect a tank to run with some authority and not turn his back to the tackler, especially when he needs only 1-2 yards to get a first down. He may be a big guy who can throw a ball 70 yards but he appears to be afraid to get hit. Maybe he can toughen up just a little bit before the season starts.

Oh, I don't know, man. The Ukraine guys mess up tanks a lot. You use your QB as a battering ram, pretty soon you won't have a QB. IIRC, back in the day, Roman Gabriel learned that the hard way.

Reactions: MackDaddyVol

VN Store

Back