Joe Milton outlook?

DirtyDawg

First off this is not a feeble attempt at trolling, I hope you folks that remember me understand that’s not why I’m here. No, honestly I’d just like your opinions or honest outlooks for Milton. I’d ask the same on my home team forum and while there are a few that try to give honest evaluations there are many more that don’t care and just post something ridiculous and basically just repeat the “overthrow Joe mantra”.

My uneducated opinion, as I very likely know much less about Milton than you folks is that I honestly think he could potentially be very good in CJH’s offense. He looked promising in the bowl game against Clemson. He without doubt has an arm that is capable of making any throw at this level or the next. And it isn’t uncommon in college football to see a QB that struggles early in his career really shine towards the end. And correct me if I’m remembering wrong, but didn’t he beat out Hooker to begin the 2021 season?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a GA fan so I don’t want to see Milton take my Dawgs to school. But I’m also a CFB fan so I’d be pleased to see an overlooked older player get things together and do well. So what are your thoughts VolNation? Can Milton shine in 2023? Seems like a CJH offense is a pretty good setting for him to me.

If JMIII can play consistently like he did against Vandy and Clemson, the Vols will be very, very good this fall.

If not, they'll still be decent.

The pass defense may be the 2023 Vols Achilles heel, if they have one.

Even if he regressed, he'll likely start most or all of this season, given that his backup is a freshman with lots of talent but no college experience at this point.

If JMIII can play consistently like he did against Vandy and Clemson, the Vols will be very, very good this fall.

If not, they'll still be decent.

The pass defense may be the 2023 Vols Achilles heel, if they have one.

Even if he regressed, he'll likely start most or all of this season, given that his backup is a freshman with lots of talent but no college experience at this point.
That makes sense. As far as pass D goes I think that a consistent pass rush could help tremendously. Not just simulated, but if the front four can pressure it helps those on the back end in coverage.

On the offense though, one thing that worried me the most when watching TN’s offense was that receivers would consistently be wide open. I mean once or twice is a fluke, but consistently it’s an intended scheme. This happened against GA also, luckily the pressure or weather or whatever caused Hooker to miss a few big throws.

He can hit the homerun throws ( it looks like the over throw issues have settled down some). But I really worry that he’s not consistent enough to methodically work the ball down the field and sustain enough drives, when the defense tries to take away the deep threats. He doesn’t seem to have Hookers elusiveness or innate ability to know when to tuck it and pick up yards on the ground, maybe that was the coaching staff telling him not to, as we had no one behind him after Hookers injury. Aside from his age, he seems to have better measurables than AR15, and if he has a good year NFL is going to salivate over him.

Hoping this is "Shades of Tee Martin", who rode the pine while Manning was chasing the Heisman. He won it all when he finally got the reins, and the team uploaded to pieces that was fit for The Chip. Not dogging Peyton. Just saying, underdogs have a way of sneaking up on you.

He wins the heisman after the Hendon snub
I get really tired of hearing this from UT Fans. I would have all the respect in the world for him if he told the voters that they can stick that trophy where the sun does not shine. They are NOT VOTING for him and any of the future TN players to get that award.

Hendon’s biggest asset was decision making. Joe is more of a specimen, but seems indecisive at times. The over throws we know about. I’d expect us to be more run oriented this year considering the running back room. So, that may take some pressure off Joe. A lot depends on how some of the new weapons develop.

Hendon’s biggest asset was decision making. Joe is more of a specimen, but seems indecisive at times. The over throws we know about. I’d expect us to be more run oriented this year considering the running back room. So, that may take some pressure off Joe. A lot depends on how some of the new weapons develop.

Hendon became a much better decision maker later in 2021 and into 2022. I think game experience has a lot to do with that.

I appreciate the honest discussion DD. I'm just an average UT fan, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

From all accounts, Joe Milton is a good guy, a good team mate, and he has significant experience. His leadership and command of the offense shouldn't be an issue. And no one can question his arm strength. The issue, if there is one, is his execution of the offense.

From what I've read, the problem with Milton early in his career was that he tried to do too much. As evidenced by the overthrows. Alex Golesh said, "He learned how to play within the system and within himself . Two years ago... Joe thought he had to go win the game." The improvement was evident in the Vandy and Clemson games.

He is not the type of QB that's going to improvise and take a team on his back. He is not going to beat you with his legs and his elusiveness. He is more focused on taking care of the ball and getting it to his playmakers. If those around him do their job, he's going to be effective. If not, he's going to struggle. Don't be surprised if you hear calls for Nico if Milton has multiple bad games. UT has good receivers, good RBs, a decent line, and some talent at TE. There aren't any major holes on offense, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I look for Milton to execute and win the games we should. I don't expect the offense, with him at QB, to score 50+ on elite defenses. That's not really a knock on Joe Milton. That's just the reality of the situation.

Can you give us a rundown on the QB situation at Georgia? I know the names, but outside of a few opinions, I haven't heard much. Is it an open race in Spring ball, or is there already a leader?

First off this is not a feeble attempt at trolling, I hope you folks that remember me understand that’s not why I’m here. No, honestly I’d just like your opinions or honest outlooks for Milton. I’d ask the same on my home team forum and while there are a few that try to give honest evaluations there are many more that don’t care and just post something ridiculous and basically just repeat the “overthrow Joe mantra”.

My uneducated opinion, as I very likely know much less about Milton than you folks is that I honestly think he could potentially be very good in CJH’s offense. He looked promising in the bowl game against Clemson. He without doubt has an arm that is capable of making any throw at this level or the next. And it isn’t uncommon in college football to see a QB that struggles early in his career really shine towards the end. And correct me if I’m remembering wrong, but didn’t he beat out Hooker to begin the 2021 season?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a GA fan so I don’t want to see Milton take my Dawgs to school. But I’m also a CFB fan so I’d be pleased to see an overlooked older player get things together and do well. So what are your thoughts VolNation? Can Milton shine in 2023? Seems like a CJH offense is a pretty good setting for him to me.
It seemed to me that in the Orange Bowl, he showed the ability that Heupel has seen all along. I hope he picks up this season where he left off against Clemson. If the Oline can protect him, his potential is off the charts. I wonder if his arm strength is detrimental to his ability, by that I mean it's so effortless for him to throw the deep balls, that he overthrows them sometimes. Against Clemson, where he threw the deep ball to Keyton for a touchdown, watch a replay of how little effort he put into that throw. Simply unbelievable.
Hey DirtyDawg, you're okay in my book. Nice to see an opposing fan give credit to another program.

This staff seems to excel at player development and maximizing Player's strengths. This will be Joe's third year in this offense. I'll go on record now and say the next edition Vols offense will be the most prolific in school history, and Joe will get an invite. They will do everything they can to make this offense Joe friendly. I'm excited to see them next season.

He made tremendous strides from the previous season. I think he's going to be a good QB for us next season. I think he's missing the run game threat ability that Hendon had and they'll probably tweak the offense a little to make it more run heavy.

We have to replace two positions on the O-line, including Darnell Wright at right tackle. If that transition doesn't go smoothly, we could have problems. We are also thin at TE right now, and just one injury could hurt us there. We haven't stacked 4 and 5 stars everywhere like Georgia has. Depth will be an issue on offense everywhere but receiver and RB, where we have quality starters and quality depth. So, if we don't have more than our share of injuries, this offense will have the pieces to support Joe.

Joe is both a known quantity and an unknown. We know he takes care of the ball, doesn't fumble or throw interceptions, which is half the game. And that sets a high floor for him. I think his accuracy issues are mostly behind him, given how he threw it in the OB. But his decision making about when to throw it away and when to keep it and run was obviously not there in the OB. The question is, can that be overcome with more coaching and more reps? That part is unknown. Some say at his age he is what he is now. Others say that can improve. Who knows about that? I don't.

He's sort of a pro-style QB in that he isn't very artful at scrambling and extending the play, and he needs to stay in the pocket. But you can design run plays for him where he could rumble down the field like a big fullback.

I think the bottom line is that the coaches will try to tweak the offense to his strengths and weaknesses, and if he takes the coaching this offseason, it could be a very good year. If not, it will still be a good one.

He made tremendous strides from the previous season. I think he's going to be a good QB for us next season. I think he's missing the run game threat ability that Hendon had and they'll probably tweak the offense a little to make it more run heavy.
I know it was just UT-Martin, but he showed some aggression and willingness to stick his nose in there on a few runs. I was at the game and I jumped out of my seat!

This staff seems to excel at player development and maximizing Player's strengths. This will be Joe's third year in this offense. I'll go on record now and say the next edition Vols offense will be the most prolific in school history, and Joe will get an invite. They will do everything they can to make this offense Joe friendly. I'm excited to see them next season.
Joe has the opportunity to be #1 pick in next years draft! I would like to see a little Joe Burrow edge to him.

In his first season he acted like he was afraid to get hit; I couldn't believe a human of his size would just bow up at contact, but last year I actually saw him truck someone. So that issue is on much better footing now. After seeing him last year, I think he can be a better thrower than Hooker, but the sample size was not enough. He looked great in mop up duty, but Ball St. is not UGA. He was hot and cold vs Vandy, but that was in a driving rain storm with strong winds. Other than a few against Vandy in the storm, his deep ball last year was unbelievable, but some times he lacks touch; he sometimes needs to throw the change up rather than the fastball. He is not nearly as good of a runner as Hooker; he lacks Hookers vision, and not quite as athletic in the run game. I followed him for a year at Michigan too, after my son started there, and he has come a million miles, but still needs some refining, but I expect a very good season for him. Our schedule is a little lighter this year also; this should help him also.

VN Store

Back